U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,501,888 times

Advertisements

With you new list you have actually put yourself closer to Utica then Syracuse.

Not sure about the deli but pizza is all over up here. Some is awful and some World class.

Doughnuts are my specialty and thats Dippin Doughnuts in Rome and New Hartford.<----without equal Upstate OR Down!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:53 PM

142 posts, read 271,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Yep!!! here is a house for you. Sounds like its had some work done. I can almost see this house. Its in a REAL bad area.

329 Bennett Street, Oneida NY | MLS# S251668 - Trulia

Now a general question, this Trulia, is it a legit real estate site?? It came up on Goggle on one of the posted above houses in Syracuse. It shows the crime rates. Oneida shows as being way (50%) above average for property crime in NY and way below for violent which is exactly how I think of this area. I went back and looked at the one in Syracuse and Onondaga County and its crazy high on both property AND violent crime. Like over double the NYS average on both. Is that correct??
At first glance, it appears that the house *does*, in fact, have indoor plumbing.
I also looked on Amazon for VCR priced at approximately $52k. New or used, domestic or imported, it seems that they're hard to find thse days.

Trulia *is* legit, and the feature I like most about it is the ability to import your "saved homes" to an EXCEL file, where you can edit and filter the data for comparison purposes.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:01 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,501,888 times
For Oneida thats a better then average house and for that area thats a freaking mansion. I don't know that exact house but I walk my dawgs in that area and and no chit there are some bad houses over there.

I can right this minute show you a house near that one worth LESS then a VCR and I think maybe people still live in it!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,954,687 times
I completely skipped over Fayetteville, mentally, which would work superbly if I can find taxes low enough. Fayetteville is also in the Town of Manlius and ARE where the big box stores are surrounded by... neighborhoods filled with the sort of home I *think* you're looking for-

500 Clinton Street, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $5126.

106 Homewood Drive, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $4610.

101 First Street, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $5087.

115 Hunt Drive, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $4811.

504 Walnut Street, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $4540. Awesome deck! lol

Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I completely skipped over Fayetteville, mentally, which would work superbly if I can find taxes low enough. Fayetteville is also in the Town of Manlius and ARE where the big box stores are surrounded by... neighborhoods filled with the sort of home I *think* you're looking for-

500 Clinton Street, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $5126.

106 Homewood Drive, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $4610.

101 First Street, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $5087.

115 Hunt Drive, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $4811.

504 Walnut Street, Manlius, NY 13066 - Prudential CNY Realty Taxes are $4540. Awesome deck! lol
3 of the 5 properties were already on my list of 37. Homewood Avenue would have made the list if it had a 2nd bathroom or half-bath.
I'm putting it on the 'waiting list' for now. ;-)

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM

56,102 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
Since many of these places are in Italian neighborhoods, that would solve my pizza problem. The next challenge is to find a deli where the sausage and cheese hang from the ceiling for about 6 months before it's ready for sale.
Then, we find a really good jelly doughnut !!! Not a Dunkin' Donuts jelly doughnut. A REAL, greasy jelly doughnut.
Finally, to complete the hat trick, a gooooood bagel joint.

Find a place that's close to all three, and you've found my next home. Sale price and taxes are not a concern. Pizza, bagels and a real jelly doughnut are the key factors in my final decision.

Seriously.....I *will* check the listings out. A few of them may already be on my hot list.

Thank you.
Actually, they are near Solvay, but are largely in Fairmount/Camillus or Westvale. There's Pasta's or Bianchi's in Solvay. Ascioti's Market has good food accessories. Twin Trees is in the area too. There are Italian restaurants in Fairmount too. Little Italy have their share of spots. Our Northern suburbs, like RollsRoyce mentioned, has quite a few places due to many Italians moving further north out of Syracuse's Northside. You can still find places on the Northside though. Lyncourt is another suburb with a high percentage of Italians as well and is in the town of Salina. For a good Italian deli, try Vince's in North Syracuse, Mazzye's Meats in Liverpool, Lombardi's at Lodi and Butternut(iffy part of Northside though) and Pasta's in Solvay. Biscotti's on North Salina, Geddes Bakery in North Syracuse, Lyncourt Bakery, Mario's in North Syracuse, Nino's on Lodi and Bella Bakery on State Fair Boulevard in Baldwinsville are good for baked goods. Columbus Bakery on Pearl has very good bread. Geddes Bakery has good Gelato too.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, they are near Solvay, but are largely in Fairmount/Camillus or Westvale. There's Pasta's or Bianchi's in Solvay. Ascioti's Market has good food accessories. Twin Trees is in the area too. There are Italian restaurants in Fairmount too. Little Italy have their share of spots. Our Northern suburbs, like RollsRoyce mentioned, has quite a few places due to many Italians moving further north out of Syracuse's Northside. You can still find places on the Northside though. Lyncourt is another suburb with a high percentage of Italians as well and is in the town of Salina. For a good Italian deli, try Vince's in North Syracuse, Mazzye's Meats in Liverpool, Lombardi's at Lodi and Butternut(iffy part of Northside though) and Pasta's in Solvay. Biscotti's on North Salina, Geddes Bakery in North Syracuse, Lyncourt Bakery, Mario's in North Syracuse, Nino's on Lodi and Bella Bakery on State Fair Boulevard in Baldwinsville are good for baked goods. Columbus Bakery on Pearl has very good bread. Geddes Bakery has good Gelato too.
Alright.....the areas south of 90/690 are beginning to build a lot of momentum. Camillus, Fairmont, Westvale, Solvay and Manlius are all quietly moving to the forefront of the competition.

So.....that said, what do the northern suburbs (Clay/Cicero/Baldwinsville/Lysander) have to offer that isn't available further south?

Newer homes? Less taxes? A younger population? Better shopping? More snow? Less traffic?

What I'm hearing from this distinguished and objective group of forum members is that I can't really go wrong no matter where I choose to go........except if I decide to move to Oneida.

Am I missing something (other than a firm grip on reality)?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,690,869 times
Quote:
So.....that said, what do the northern suburbs (Clay/Cicero/Baldwinsville/Lysander) have to offer that isn't available further south?

Newer homes? Less taxes? A younger population? Better shopping? More snow? Less traffic?
If you're looking for newer homes, the majority of the large scale developments in the area have been in the northern 'burbs - there have been developments that weren't, but they're more common up there. Lower taxes don't necessarily go along with that, though that's township/village dependent as well as assessment dependent. Younger population to a point goes with the newer homes bit.

More snow, generally, at least when we get hit hard. The actual snow belt is more heavily focused north of Syracuse (it passes through most of Oswego County), so the further north you get the higher average impact.

Less traffic may not be that accurate depending on where in the northern suburbs you end up (some areas have grown a bit faster than the road infrastructure - read: 31 @I-81, 31 @481/Great Northern Mall area.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 AM

56,102 posts, read 80,174,891 times
Try these websites too: cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source

Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,954,687 times
Quote:
Alright.....the areas south of 90/690 are beginning to build a lot of momentum. Camillus, Fairmont, Westvale, Solvay and Manlius are all quietly moving to the forefront of the competition.

I think that area looks most similar, landscape-wise, to Long Island itself... probably a *bit* more hilly though... and has a similar feel. Many miles of older developments with split levels, ranches and more affluent developments (mini-McMansions) scattered between. Similar vehicle congestion, becoming more breathable as you head toward Lysander and B'ville. Clay and Cicero give me the feeling of being smothered but that's solely my own feeling... it's flat and more developed, commercially/retail, than what I'm used to. The landscape isn't very broken up by hills and trees and stretches of calm between the retail. It's all in one place... or the entire stretch is filled with parking lots and apartment buildings and schools and banks. It's overwhelming for this southeastern/hilly-quadrant woman. Again, similar to the feeling I get when visiting family around Ronkonkoma (like Clay) and East Patchogue (the bleeding of North Syracuse into Cicero.) I'm not a fan of flat. That said, there are what... 90K people in the Town of Clay? There are about 140K in the city of Syracuse itself? Enough people live there to suggest they like it... I'm just giving my take.

Quote:
What I'm hearing from this distinguished and objective group of forum members is that I can't really go wrong no matter where I choose to go........except if I decide to move to Oneida.
lol - pretty much! You'll be safe and near the retail you described, in any of the locations you mentioned... each area has it's own set of the same retail so going far for those things isn't necessary. If I didn't have friends in other areas, I wouldn't really ever have to leave an area about 5 miles in diameter.

I think what most of us posters are trying to do is just attempt to steer you toward where you'd be *most* happy. That's why we often ask what kind of lifestyle people most prefer... because there's pretty much a place for everyone. You just need to find where it is.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 05-20-2011 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or