U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 AM

56,263 posts, read 80,446,330 times

Advertisements

With plans falling through on what to do at the Inner Harbor, what would you like to see done there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,067,413 times
Upscale condos, multi-story townhomes, a small number of market rate rentals, an aquarium, art trail, and promenade shops. Sadly, none of this will likely happen since there is no forward thinking leadership in this area that bothers to emulate what other cities have done to reclaim their waterfronts (ie. Baltimore, Providence, Milwaukee, etc). Perhaps Joe LaGuardia will propose modeling the Inner Habor after Solvay or Butternut Street (his likely spheres of influence and worldview). Perhaps he can convince one of his associates to open some tacky diner like Stella's, a scrapyard, used car dealership, or perhaps a nail salon. Miner would rather put in subsidized housing and leave 90% of the land undeveloped to protect the city from those evil developers and middle to upper income "interlopers" from the suburbs. Thought I'd had a little humor and sarcasm.

On a positive note, I stopped by the Spaghetti Warehouse on Friday and noticed the city completed the repaving of North Clinton and installed nice brick sidewalks near the Franklin View Terrace loft apartments under development.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-06-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM

161 posts, read 319,825 times
I think you're onto something with the multi-story townhomes. Especially if they were big enough to compare to the smaller houses of the suburbs (1800-2400 sqf) and had secure private parking. The problem with apartments is always the lack of outdoor spaces, and townhomes offer a great mix of urban density and suburban privacy. I also think that apartments-style condos can be a hard sell to people with money in Syracuse because of the amount of space available for little $$ elsewhere in town, but nice row homes are a good happy medium.

I live in one here in Dublin and the back terrace is about 16' x 24' which is big enough to have people over for a bbq and to get some sun without it being so big that it requires much maintenance/attention. If it ever stopped raining....

There definitely needs to be a mix of subsidized and gentrified city redevelopment. If you do it right, they can even coexist pretty easily.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Multi-story townhomes along the lines of these would be nice:

Hudson Harbor (http://www.lessardgroup.com/web/module/portfolio/pid/160/portfolio.html - broken link)

The vantage point of the first picture is not great and doesn't do the project justice. I pass this development on the train occasionally.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 AM

I was thinking of something a little more urban, but yea thats the idea. Maybe a shared basement parking garage, and everyone's house opens onto the sidewalk.

Here's something I worked on a couple of years ago:
http://www.sla-pdc.com/images/project-images/DSCF2200.JPG (broken link)
Its Adamstown Square in Kildare, Ireland. Those are 4-storey, 4 bedroom townhouses and the set-back at the top is a roof garden for the master suite.

This is actually one of the houses on my street, they're about 200 years old but the interiors have all be updated really nicely. At about 1200 sqf, they're prob too small for the states.
http://images.myhome.ie/pictures/properties/residential/2/5/1/416152/101-FMyHome.ie2DesmondStreet2DesmondStreetfrontL_m.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM

The Pike Block project along the 300 block of Salina Street and West Fayette will include a courtyard with a cafe between several buildings. Parts of the design have a more european flair which is exiting for downtown Syracuse.

Here is the website:
Pike Block

Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Cool! its nice to see the urban environment coming back. If they can drive up the city center population enough, then retail will start coming back to take advantage of the increased footfalls.

Its funny that you mention European design.... I would call it "contemporary" design as opposed to "historicist" design. Either way, my design experience in Europe was a factor in my getting a job in the Syr area.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
Cool! its nice to see the urban environment coming back. If they can drive up the city center population enough, then retail will start coming back to take advantage of the increased footfalls.

Its funny that you mention European design.... I would call it "contemporary" design as opposed to "historicist" design. Either way, my design experience in Europe was a factor in my getting a job in the Syr area.
It definitely has a contemporary design, I just meant the center courtyard tucked in between the buildings is probably more common in Europe than in the US. I like the glass and the raised heights of the storefronts. This should allow more light at street level

Also, work is progressing on the Urban Outfitters store in Armory Square. Syracuse is the only major upstate city and one of a few mid-sized cities that will have an Urban Outfitters in a downtown area, the others are typically located in suburban shopping malls.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-06-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
It definitely has a contemporary design, I just meant the center courtyard tucked in between the buildings is probably more common in the Europe than in the US.
I understand now. Very true, and its a great way to create quiet spaces in busy cities.

Last edited by justflow1983; 04-06-2010 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM

56,263 posts, read 80,446,330 times
I also thought about keeping some green space available and maybe have an aquarium in the area as well so it can be a good area for possibly families, as well as those that are single or are empty nesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area