U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM

838 posts, read 1,426,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
The 1100-1300 blocks of Madison all have two-family homes, some for sale at very good prices Syracuse Real Estate - 1315 Madison Street, Syracuse, NY, 13210.

While the immediate area isn't the best, it's safe enough. It's also more walkable than just about anything in the metro area.
That whole area of Madison and many blocks around it became a "student slum" some years ago. During the past ten years or so the competition for the student market among landlords has caused the bar to be raised a bit for quality - thus you'll see some decent looking and decently maintained properties. That said - there are issues with noise, party debris, litter and parking that seem to plague all of the student dominated areas around SU.

I think South Geddes Street south of Stolp, Broad Street, Lancaster south of broad, Fellows or Allen south of Harvard Place, and Westcott south of Euclid are all areas where I woudl look for a two family (if I were in the market for one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM

161 posts, read 319,785 times
Personally I'm going to be staying outside of the areas close to the university. I'm only a few years older than a lot of those kids, but I would hate to have a 9am meeting after being kept up by the weeknight house party next door.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM

838 posts, read 1,426,250 times
Check out the parts of Strathmore close to and just off South Geddes and to the south of Bellevue - there are some really nice two families in there. Also worth exploring is just past the outer edge of the North Side on and around Court Street in Lyncourt. You might look at Eastwood, but parts of it are on the cusp and might stay decent or might not. That said... Twin Hills Drive and that general area just off James near Grant Blvd. seems very stable and houses are kept up nicely.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Check out the parts of Strathmore close to and just off South Geddes and to the south of Bellevue - there are some really nice two families in there. Also worth exploring is just past the outer edge of the North Side on and around Court Street in Lyncourt. You might look at Eastwood, but parts of it are on the cusp and might stay decent or might not. That said... Twin Hills Drive and that general area just off James near Grant Blvd. seems very stable and houses are kept up nicely.
I've got a pretty good awareness to what areas are decent values/neighborhoods. I do appreciate the advice though, every little bit helps

What I was more interested in learning from this thread is what people think of their own neighborhoods. For instance, how do you like living in Wescott and what's it like?

Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 AM

19 posts, read 50,678 times
As someone who is currently living downtown after three years in westcott, i thought i'd throw my two cents in. While there are some great aspects to living in the center of the city, there are also some major annoyances- i.e. if you want some basic items after 6 pm- beer, aspirin etc... it can be a bit of a challenge. Personally, i'm looking to get back to westcott as soon as possible, as it fulfills my needs much more than any syracuse neighborhood that i've encountered. Despite the proximity to the university, i've never had any noise issues there, and i've found it to be the best local jumping point to socialize and meet new people. In terms of background, i am in the same boat as you- went to architecture school, work for a local firm. The only downside to westcott that i've found is that compared to the city as a whole, the prices for homes and especially two family homes is insanely high- thanks to the classic SU predatory landlords. I've been looking casually myself, and as a result, i am content to be a renter.

cheers

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Thanks Brickroad! Thats what I was looking for. I had a feeling downtown would be like that, its going to take a while for them to reach the kind of critical mass needed to get regular services in.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 PM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
Thanks Brickroad! Thats what I was looking for. I had a feeling downtown would be like that, its going to take a while for them to reach the kind of critical mass needed to get regular services in.
That's true, as a full service grocery store would be huge for Downtown. I believe that the Dey's Building is going to have one, but I believe that will take a while. I know the Amos Building has the C.L. Evers market, but that is only open until 7 and it isn't a full service market. There are some in neighborhoods close by, but all of them close between 9 and Midnight.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 AM

Its one of those critical mass things. Downtown doesn't have the residential catchment to support a full-on grocery, so lack of housing is what's keeping that from being viable. In a city center location you're totally dependent on footfall traffic, since nobody is going to drive into town to get groceries. Still, I'm pretty sure there's enough people in the area to be able to support a convenience store with beer/milk/snacks etc and open late.

In every city I've ever lived in those shops are usually run by some recent immigrant willing to deal with low-margins and obnoxious late-night customers... maybe lack of newcomers is keeping downtown from having that kind of shop? I'm sure there's someone willing to open a shopfront with the essentials.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 68,751 times
If you're still looking for some first-hand feedback, I've some info for you about Hawley-Green, as I lived there for a year.

It's a beautiful little enclave that is definitely on the upward swing. Just in the year that I lived there, I watched as many of the houses were being restored -- some as rentals, and many as owner-occupants. It has a true neighborhood feel -- it's at a pedestrian scale and all the neighbors say hello as you stroll down the street. I too, work on Salina St, and would walk nearly every day from my HG apartment; it was about a 20 minute walk each way, due to its close proximity to the downtown proper. There's an excellent stock of architecture in the neighborhood, some of it well-kept, and some of it screaming for the love and attention of a restoration-minded owner.

In addition to the neighborhood places listed off in earlier posts, HG is also home to a number of other small businesses: Ra-lin's (appliances & electronics), a hair salon, a camera shop, Gentile's Italian Restaurant (VERY good), and most importantly Dominick's Market. This place covers all of the essentials when you're in a bind -- I can't tell you how many times this place saved a dinner, as I could quickly walk over to grab a specific ingredient that I was lacking. It has a much more broad selection than the average convenience store, and it even has an in-house butcher. There's also a great (albeit currently mostly vacant) little business district along Hawley near Crouse that I hope gets discovered and filled out in the near future -- I could be a perfect eclectic mix of retail serving the neighborhood.

I'll cut myself off there, but will gladly go into further detail about Hawley Green if your interest has been peaked and would like to hear more.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks syrajason! Thats the kind of thing I was looking for. I was on vacation for a couple of weeks and didn't have a chance to follow up. I'll definitely keep Hawley Green on my list for when I'm back in town. My only concern is that the proximity to the highway means lots of car exhaust, but I might just be being picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area