Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 AM

161 posts, read 355,587 times

Advertisements

I'm a 26-year old guy who grew up in Syracuse, and I just got a great job in 'Cuse so I'll be moving back this summer. After living in Italy for a while and Dublin, Ireland for the past 3 years, the idea of returning to car dependency doesn't really appeal to me....

Here are my questions for an informal survey?

Who on here lives in the City of Syracuse? Where do you live and what do you think of the area? What kinds of things are within walking distance of where you live?

Most of my friends from high school live in Tipp Hill now, but I prefer to buy a house and don't like what's currently on the market there. Since I grew up in the 'burbs, I grew up assuming that the whole city is ghetto but I know its not the case. I know that I will still have to drive a lot living in Syracuse (and buying a car is a separate issue), but if I can't at least walk a few minutes to get stuff like eggs, a coffee, or some beer then the neighborhood isn't for me.

My undergraduate architecture thesis dealt with urban issues in Syracuse, and while its run down the city does offer the kind of walk-able, urbanised neighbourhoods that I prefer.

I'm not interested in any "live in the suburbs" comments. Been there, done that, its not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Welcome back! I no longer live in the area, however visit frequently. Last weekend I was in town and drove around the Near West Side, adjacent to the new facility for King & King architects on the edge of Armory Square. While the neighborhood is gritty and blighted, it looks much better than a few years ago and the amount of redevelopment is pretty impressive. In the last year or so, a growing number of urban pioneers have been relocating into some newly redeveloped properties. Here are some stories:

Q&A: John and Kathy Miranda, adventurers in green living in Syracuse « SALT District

Fayetteville couple are moving to Syracuse's Near West Side | Metro Voices - syracuse.com

Syracuse's Near West Side neighborhood looks for future in SALT | News from The Post-Standard -

Here are some links:
Syracuse Art, Life & Tech SALT District « Near Westside Initiative

Renovations about to begin on Lincoln Supply building on Syracuse's Near West Side | News from The Post-Standard -

From the Ground Up: An impromptu convention at the Live Work Home house | syracuse.com

Hear are some homes for sale in the "Salt District"
Home HeadQuarters

About 10 years ago, one of the original developers of the Center Armory project in Armory Square, began renovating the upper floors of the Loew's Landmark Theater building at Salina and Jefferson into upscale apartments. All of the units have recently been converted to condos with prices starting at $140,000, a relative bargain for a downtown condo considering adjacent buildings have far higher price points. Condominium units in Center Armory start at around $180,000 and the newly constructed Jefferson Clinton Commons has prices starting in the high 200s. Across the street from the Landmark Theater building, the same developer is converting the upper floors in the Dey's building into market rate apartments and plans to develop a grocery store on the ground floor. The presence of a larger grocery store would make it easier for downtown residents to purchase everyday items.

Article on Dey's Building conversion:
New owners plan to convert former Dey Brothers building in Syracuse into residential housing | News from The Post-Standard -

Here are some listings for the Landmark Theater condos:
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S204402
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S230269
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S204393

Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks RollsRoyce, I'll look into that stuff. I'm not going to get one of the downtown condos just yet, I'm looking to buy a 2-fam in a decent area and then keep it as a rental when I move to something nicer (prob d-town at that stage). I'll be working on S. Salina so the Landmark is too close to work.

Its great to see what they're trying to do with the Near Westside, but I used to volunteer at the ReStore on Otisco and I can honestly say I'm not interested. I can deal with a dodgy neighborhood (lived for a while in a nasty part of Paris), but I'm not enough of an urban pioneer for that area.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 AM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Look at the Westcott neighborhood or Eastwood. Eastwood might be better in terms of stores close by and some things to do like going to the Palace Theater.

Also, the Meadowbrook area near Nottingham Road might work, as there is shopping close by with a grocery store, banks, pharmacy, restaurants and a hardware store.

Another area is around and north of Grant Boulevard. Again, there is shopping close by and a bus line on Grant as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Anyone want to talk about their own neighborhoods? I know the usual areas that get recommended but I want to hear personal experiences.

Thanks again for the above posts though!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
Thanks RollsRoyce, I'll look into that stuff. I'm not going to get one of the downtown condos just yet, I'm looking to buy a 2-fam in a decent area and then keep it as a rental when I move to something nicer (prob d-town at that stage). I'll be working on S. Salina so the Landmark is too close to work.

Its great to see what they're trying to do with the Near Westside, but I used to volunteer at the ReStore on Otisco and I can honestly say I'm not interested. I can deal with a dodgy neighborhood (lived for a while in a nasty part of Paris), but I'm not enough of an urban pioneer for that area.
I did volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity's "Blitz Build" on Seymour Street in 2002, so I definitely agree with your sentiments. I am, though, pleasantly surprised at how things are finally progressing, albeit slowly. Having world renowned architects designing homes in one of the least likely places is certainly a step in the right direction. Also, the relocation of a Skaneateles-based recording studio to the Red House building
SubCat Music Studios in harmony with new neighbor, the Red House | News from The Post-Standard -
on the edge of Armory Square will hopefully bridge the stark divide both demographically and socially between both neighborhoods.

Personally, I like Franklin Square and if money was no object, I would buy a $700K penthouse in Mission Landing. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 04-06-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Personally, I like Franklin Square and if money was no object, I would buy a $700K penthouse in Mission Landing. Good luck in your search.
Agreed.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,116 times
I live in Washington now, but grew up in Scottholm and am planning on moving back to Syracuse late this year. One neighborhood that's caught my eye is on the northwestern fringe of Westcott. Somewhat dicey right now, but pretty likely to gentrify as the university continues to expand. The 1100-1300 blocks of Madison all have two-family homes, some for sale at very good prices Syracuse Real Estate - 1315 Madison Street, Syracuse, NY, 13210.

While the immediate area isn't the best, it's safe enough. It's also more walkable than just about anything in the metro area.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
I live near LeMoyne College in the Salt Springs neighborhood; unfortunately, it doesn't fully meet your hopes (it's a walkable neighborhood, but as far as walking to stores, it's either down a steep hill to Erie Blvd. or over towards the Westcott area - otherwise, it's just the small business district along E. Genesee nearby). I bought my house about a year ago, and I'm already seeing some changes for the better in the area - including the new LeMoyne bookstore taking over the former plaza at Springfield and Salt Springs (it'll have a Dunkin Donuts in it, so far that and the bookstore are the only announced vendors) and a new building at Elmcrest Children's Center.

I liked living in Tipp Hill (lived there for about a year), though the parking situation over there isn't so great. Eastwood has lots of good areas (lived there until I bought my current house), and fits better the walkable nature you describe.

And I grew up in the outer part of the Westcott neighborhood, which has a nice business district to it too.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM

93,165 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Another potential area is in the Hawley-Green area. They have Dominick's Grocery Store and a few other stores. It is an area that has been gentrifying a bit the last 10 years or so, but it is still rough around the edges in areas as well.

A possible sleeper is the Valley south of Seneca Turnpike, as you can walk to Nedrow for grocery shopping or go to the few stores at the corner of Seneca Turnpike/South Salina, there's a couple of parks close by, there is a bus line on South Salina and a library. If you live in the area that is off of Valley Drive, you have a pharmacy, a few stores and restaurants close by too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area