Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:21 PM

357 posts, read 968,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very great points and that is something people don't think about in regards to the Syracuse City Schools. I would drive by Nottingham and see kids getting accepted to various colleges and that includes schools like Brown, Cornell and many others. Fowler, for instance doesn't surprise me due to the fact they get kids from the poorest neighborhoods in the city and they also get a lot of international/English as a second language students due to getting kids from the Near Northeast and near West Side neighborhoods. Near Northeast is known for being a hotspot for refugees/immigrants from SE Asia, Eastern and Western Africa and South Asia and the near West Side has a high Hispanic population in which many of the people that live there know Spanish as their first language. So, that effects numbers for that school. So, stats can't tell the complexities that are involved in student achievement, especially in a school district with such a wide range of experiences like SCSD.

Very true about the second language students. Imagine trying to just learn English much less trying to get all the other subjects and then try to achieve the diploma on top of that. The students who can do that and the educators who help them do it have my complete respect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Very true about the second language students. Imagine trying to just learn English much less trying to get all the other subjects and then try to achieve the diploma on top of that. The students who can do that and the educators who help them do it have my complete respect!
True...Not only that, but think about who is going to help them at home when their parents most likely don't know English or know well enough to help them properly. Especially when parent involvement is key in a child's success in school. That's why I wish Syracuse would create a school/educational program for parents of immigrant/refugee students. This will allow them to help their children potentially succeed in school.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
That's a great point. I know a few immigrant-refugee kids who lived in the FM district but went to Nottingham because their ESL program is considered far superior to any other's. They were in the classes of '93 and 2001 and were from the USSR. My mom used to volunteer translation services for Russian immigrants for the Rescue Mission and she'd bring me along with her.

They seemed to always set up refugee families to *live* in the village of Manlius (very safe but still on the bus line and within walking distance to everything, until they could get and afford a vehicle) - and there are still MANY of them here - but send them to Nottingham.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
That's a great point. I know a few immigrant-refugee kids who lived in the FM district but went to Nottingham because their ESL program is considered far superior to any other's. They were in the classes of '93 and 2001 and were from the USSR. My mom used to volunteer translation services for Russian immigrants for the Rescue Mission and she'd bring me along with her.

They seemed to always set up refugee families to *live* in the village of Manlius (very safe but still on the bus line and within walking distance to everything, until they could get and afford a vehicle) - and there are still MANY of them here - but send them to Nottingham.
I've also been noticing more Bosnian names in the East Syracuse-Minoa SD too. I think it is the same thing or many go there because it is a more affordable suburban area with relatively good schools.

I know that Solvay does or used to get their share of Ukrainian immigrants too.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 PM

357 posts, read 968,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True...Not only that, but think about who is going to help them at home when their parents most likely don't know English or know well enough to help them properly. Especially when parent involvement is key in a child's success in school. That's why I wish Syracuse would create a school/educational program for parents of immigrant/refugee students. This will allow them to help their children potentially succeed in school.
Excellent points, I agree with you about the school especially for ESL. I think Syracuse would see a rise in their graduation percentiles if they began specailizing their high schools rather than just bunching kids together according to where they live. Creating high schools such as an ESL school, science tech school, arts school, college level school, trade school, ect. would begin to attract people to the different programs and would help them focus better on graduating with the additional benefit of having a emphasis on a particular area of interest.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Excellent points, I agree with you about the school especially for ESL. I think Syracuse would see a rise in their graduation percentiles if they began specailizing their high schools rather than just bunching kids together according to where they live. Creating high schools such as an ESL school, science tech school, arts school, college level school, trade school, ect. would begin to attract people to the different programs and would help them focus better on graduating with the additional benefit of having a emphasis on a particular area of interest.
Exactly and I mentioned this in another thread. You can even keep the schools in terms of names as they are, you can put certain programs in the 4 other high schools besides Central Tech. I've always thought of treating your high schools like a college or like a university with different schools that have various programs within them. I would also like to see an honors program like Buffalo has. Put an Arts program in the Central Tech complex.

Also, start these programs early like in 5th grade. This would get children started early on what they are interested in and play to the strengths of the child's abilities.

I honestly feel that there needs to be a movement among parents and citizens in urban school districts to see reform of schools and the performance within such schools.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM

34 posts, read 80,665 times
CNS is way overcrowded. I would not recommend it at all

Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethelhasa View Post
CNS is way overcrowded. I would not recommend it at all
I know the high school has more students per grade than any other high school in the county, but I thought that they put an addition on the school a couple of years ago. I believe when it was Cicero High, it held about 2200 students some years and this was well before the addition, of course.

I've also heard a rumor not too long ago that they were thinking about going back to 2 high schools again, but I don't know how serious that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area