U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 12:44 PM

56 posts, read 65,219 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are in our mid 60-s, live near NYC and are retiring in six months and thinking about moving up to Baldwinsville area to be near our 10 month old twin grand-daughters in Syracuse. Since we would be leaving an active "Senior" social life behind, can anyone suggest a community in the area with some population of over 55 Adults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM

56,252 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCE7 View Post
My wife & I are in our mid 60-s, live near NYC and are retiring in six months and thinking about moving up to Baldwinsville area to be near our 10 month old twin grand-daughters in Syracuse. Since we would be leaving an active "Senior" social life behind, can anyone suggest a community in the area with some population of over 55 Adults?
I believe that there is a place in Baldwinsville called McHarrie something(can't remember the full name). It's off of Downer Street near the old Tri County Mall.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

838 posts, read 1,426,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCE7 View Post
Raddison, a planned community that is adjacent to Baldwinsville (and typically perceived as an extension of B'ville by many people), will have some options for you. Keep in mind that, in relative terms, our population is small and the density low. You'll also find fewer highly affluent seniors here than you would in the NYC Metro area. Therefore the social programs and networking opportunities you're accustomed to may be less abundant here.

That said - any palce that has cluster homes or a mix of freestanding, cluster homes and upscale condos, will also have a fair percentage of educated and moderately affluent seniors. On the east side of the city just into the town of Dewitt these include the Hamlet and Pointe East. Mallard's Landing in Manlius might be worth exploring. I think there are a few similar choices out past the western edge of the city in the twon of Onondaga but I don't know the names of them.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,066,828 times
Within the Radisson planned community is Silverwood at Radisson, a market rate rental complex for seniors over the age of 55. Here is their website:

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Senior Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Silverwood at Radisson

Also in Baldwinsville is Timber Banks, a luxury planned community on a Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course. The community is in its early stages of development and will consist of apartments, work-live units, townhouses, patio homes, and luxury single family homes. Moderate to upper income seniors are part of the development's target market.

Here is their website:
Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Senior Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Silverwood at Radisson

Erie Village is another community popular with seniors although there are no age restrictions. Erie Village is located in the town of Manlius (East Syracuse address), approximately 25 minutes south east of Baldwinsville in Syracuse's eastern suburbs. Shopping including big box retail, a grocery store, and a YMCA with an olympic sized swimming pool is less than 1 mile away in Fayetteville.

Erie Village Homeowners Association

Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 AM

I'm not sure if this planned community in the Baldwinsville area has any senior based housing, but Village Green might work too. There are condos as well as single family homes in that area and they have Foxfire Golf Course there as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
Are you looking for senior *housing,* Bruce? Or are you just looking for a nice area with a good number of seniors and a fairly active community of them?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM

56 posts, read 65,219 times
Thank you all for your quick and informative response. We actually visited Timber Banks last week while visiting the grand-children. We were interested in "the Villas" they are building and we will be up there again when the Model is open May 8th. The big sticking point is this: as a "guy" I am not worried about adjusting. If i meet one or two fellows to play golf with occasionally I will be happy with walking, reading and movie-watching, my other main interests. My wife on the other hand is really concerned about meeting other women and having a "active" social life. Since we will be newly retired when we move, I understand her fear of how to fill the days during the week while the grand-kids are in day care. I have told her anywhere we move she faces the same uncertainty. Obviously, a development with a good amount of Seniors offers a better chance of meeting people with like interests.
As far as senior "housing", no "Proulxfamily", we are looking for the active community.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Here's a good website to use for searching homes in the area: CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area