U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 24,938 times

Advertisements

I'm excited but terrified. I'm coming from Long Island and just bought a gorgeous house in Manlius that would cost me over a million on the island. I'm terrified because I know absolutely no one there. Yep, we're starting out totally fresh! I chose Manlius because of the FM school district. It looks great on paper. I'm sick to death of my daughter's district (Sachem). She just started middle school and the children are absolutely evil. I know that there are problems everywhere, but I'm hoping the kids up there are a little nicer. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. We're closing on the house and moving up in just a few weeks. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 PM

172 posts, read 771,310 times
I can't say I've ever heard a bad comment about the F-M school district's performance. There one of the more respected districts in the Syracuse area. The popular perception is that it's also quite expensive to live there and pay the taxes, but since you're coming out of Long Island, and upstate is relatively inexpensive compared to LI, it prob'bly won't be much of a problem (and since you're from NYS, you're already used to high taxes).

Old 06-10-2007, 06:44 PM

405 posts, read 1,266,641 times
Welcome, we are also recent Long Island transplants, our mailing address is Manlius although we live in Pompey, which is the next town south. You should not have too much trouble acclaimating to the area, you will find good shopping, nice people and an altogether nicer pace of living up here. We love it and have not looked back. Hope you will too.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM

142 posts, read 723,750 times
Congratulations and welcome to Upstate! I hope you and your family love it here.
Skaneatelesmom

Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Welcome, we are also recent Long Island transplants, our mailing address is Manlius although we live in Pompey, which is the next town south. You should not have too much trouble acclaimating to the area, you will find good shopping, nice people and an altogether nicer pace of living up here. We love it and have not looked back. Hope you will too.
Thanks for the feedback. We're actually in Pompey (I always want to call it "POMPAY!") also. We bought a house on Squirrel Corn Lane. Will we be neighbors? I hope you get this...I don't quite have the hang of this site yet. My email is danaltate@gmail.com. Love to hear from you again.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaneatelesmom View Post
Congratulations and welcome to Upstate! I hope you and your family love it here.
Skaneatelesmom
Hi Skaneateles. I was in your town about fifteen years ago and I haven't forgotten it. It's a great place. I'm having a tough time nagivigating this site. I'm not the most cpu literate person in the world! I am an RN and my husband is an attorney. We have a twelve year old daughter. My email is danaltate@gmail.com. Love to hear from you again. Be well.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-12-2007 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
I can't say I've ever heard a bad comment about the F-M school district's performance. There one of the more respected districts in the Syracuse area. The popular perception is that it's also quite expensive to live there and pay the taxes, but since you're coming out of Long Island, and upstate is relatively inexpensive compared to LI, it prob'bly won't be much of a problem (and since you're from NYS, you're already used to high taxes).

I so don't know if I'm using this site correctly, so please advise. I'm not so good with computers. My email is danaltate@gmail.com. Let me know if you get this. Thanks again and hope to hear from you.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 PM

161 posts, read 966,664 times
Dtate, We made the same move from Bellmore LI to Baldwinsville (just north of Syracuse). It did not work out for us as my 16 year lold son and my wife have difficulty adjusting to a new environment and wanted to go back. We battled for a while and my 13 year old daughter and I have given in. So back we go. But I have to say it is great here. My wife and son even agree, they just miss all the freinds and family. Traffic is easy, cost of living is so much less expensive and the quality of life is so much better. My daughters comments to me were: "people are so much less judgemental up here" "people are so much more accepting" The video link I watch as listed above looks like a few kids having fun, but does not reflect how the kids behave up here. There is much less competition and snobbiness. Food here is great, Wegmans is great, shooping is so easy and there is so much variety. There are a ton of day trips, the list goes on.
Words of advise; be committed to it. Make arrangements to get involved socially. winters are long cold and very pretty, but it helps to be involved with the community so you don't feel isolated. Manlius is a really nice place to live and the schools up here, particularly FM are as good or better than many LI schools. Good luck Glen

Old 12-26-2007, 04:45 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,179,610 times
dtate6195, welcome to the area! Hope you like it! This December was much worse than normal... more cloudy, more cold and more snowy than an average December. This Fall (November and December) was in the Top 5 snowiest ever in Syracuse.

Glen NY. Yeah, sorry about the video. You're right, it does not reflect how the kids behave up here. Thought it was funny since it reminds me of the humor I grew up with in high school.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:32 PM

130 posts, read 129,216 times
Default Hi, also and commute suggestions

Hello, and welcome. Knowing the area very well, I can tell you about the roads, especially in the winter. If you communte to and from the city there are some things you should know.

1.) There are multiple ways from Pompey to Syracuse. In the summer, the smaller roads are actually faster because they're straighter. The 91 is your best bet (depending on your exact location) because it hooks up to all the E-W small roads--but beware. There's an abundant deer population, and the winter the secondary roads can be VERY dangerous (black ice).

2.) Route 20 LOOKS as though it's a good idea (right off the 81, a major secondary road (if you get a chance, go look up the history of Rt. 20..it's fascinating), BUT remember that the road was created, with turns and banks, before cars, so the "physics" of the road banking (especially at a little place near Gardner and Citation Rds, just outside of Pompey!) is NOT meant for doing 55 on a slick winter day!!!! (This section of Rt.20 doesn't seem as well salted, either, as the Madison County side of Rt. 20)

3.) I usually take 173 or 92 home and then go south toward my destination. Leave yourself time to travel in the winter and DON'T hurry.

4.) If you get a chance, take your car and practice doing spin-outs & "lock-em ups" on ice in an empty parking lot. Ice and your car react differently than you think they will, and "practice" in this is (in my opinion) a good thing. If you're interested, there are also some great private courses down in Watkins Glen.

BTW, I know a lot of FM kids. They've always impressed me as good sports, well behaved and nice. The school has some great teachers, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or