U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

56 posts, read 65,328 times

Advertisements

I have posted a few general threads before and visit this site almost daily to get a feel for the Syracuse area during lulls at work. Don't know if using this site for this kind of advice is OK but here goes:

Wife & I are year away from retirement and live just north of NYC. Daughter and baby twin grand-daughters live in Syracuse area. We are torn between moving to over 55 Adult community in Southern Connecticut with 2 good friends moving to the same development or moving to the Baldwinsville area in a nice new development to be near the babies (close but not around the corner, the way I like it). Daughter & partner are both tenured education professionals so little chance of them uprooting and moving away if we decide on Syracuse.
I can live anywhere, just give me a golfing buddy & I am OK. Wife is concerned she will have trouble fitting in socially. Her fear is (please do not take this next comment the wrong way) that people in Syracuse, though friendly, might be less outgoing due to the more rugged, individualistic life-style (severe winters, more people owning their own homes than living "communally" in apartment buildings like our area).
We have 2 weeks to make a decision on Connecticut (we just received the offering plan) but don't have to rush into a decision on the Baldwinsville property.
While your opinions on whether you would pick family or friends and your opinion on whether my wife's concerns are valid will not make our decision for us, advice from any source right now will be heavily weighed in our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM

161 posts, read 319,917 times
I am all for people relocating to CNY. Still, I think that as an older person who will have to increasingly rely on their social networks as you get older, it might not be a great idea to leave that behind. Since you won't have a workplace social group anymore, its important to be near friends. Studies have shown that people who are socially connected live longer and happier lives, and I don't know how easy it is to build a new net as a retired person. I've even noticed coming into my later 20s that its begun getting harder.

I wouldn't worry about the "rugged, individualistic life-style;" its not the mountains and there are plenty of sociable people of all stripes. You may be right about the communal living though, but you could try living downtown where the set may be younger but more urban oriented.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:13 PM

405 posts, read 1,266,641 times
Well, we can speak as retirees from Long Island who moved up to the Syracuse area 3-1/2 years ago without knowing anyone . I can say we have had no problem building a network of friends, mainly meeting folks though volunteer activities. We find the locals very outgoing and friendly. There are many things to do here, in all seasons.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM

56,310 posts, read 80,538,246 times
Also, if you want an area where there are a lot of apartments, look at Liverpool. There are plenty of people in that area that live in apartments and the people are friendly. In the old complex I lived in, there was a fitness room and I met people of various ages there. It was very nice and safe there too. So, you do have areas where many people are used to apartment living.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 AM

56 posts, read 65,328 times
Thank you all for your response and comments. Boomvang, I wonder if there is a way for my wife to talk with both of you about your move.
I am not really experienced in using the computer for things that are not work related and am wary of posting her e-mail address to the general populace. I tried using the "befriend" choice but don't really know if that allows my post to go privately to you.
Again, I don't mean to offend anyone on the site, just thought it might be helpful for her to talk to someone who has gone thru this process one-to-one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area