U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,267 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been asked to death, but any replies would be appreciated. Am moving to Syracuse in August and am looking for a good neighborhood/towns in or around Syracuse. I'd rather NOT be in areas where the college students live. Any advice on safe areas (am a single female) without a long commute downtown would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM

56,261 posts, read 80,427,244 times
You might like Liverpool. There are plenty of nice and affordable apartments there. It's a Northern suburb and there is a nice park, cute village and plenty of shopping in the area too. You would probably like the Fayetteville-Manlius area, DeWitt and Cicero as well, among other suburbs.

It's interesting that you are the second person that is moving from Hawaii that has asked about the area on here, I believe.

If you want an urban neighborhood, maybe look at some areas like Eastwood, Downtown or the Meadowbrook neighborhood, which has some apartments and is an Eastside neighborhood that is a bit further away from the neighborhoods where you would see more students.

These websites should help you out: Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse Apartment Finder

MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - - -

http://www.suttoncos.com/management/search_results.php

Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,390 times
The village of Liverpool, without a doubt.

Village of Liverpool Home Page

Heat and hot water included. Quiet and well-kept. There's a pool and it's within walking distance to the village stores and the park.
Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Covered Bridge Apartments

You'd be a straight shot to downtown via Onondaga Parkway (50mph) and I-81. A 5-10 minute commute, depending on traffic and where you are in the city.

The lakeside park - Onondaga County Parks, OLP (http://onondagacountyparks.com/olp - broken link)

Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply and even provide links! I appreciate it.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,633,392 times
That would be me!! I moved from Honolulu to Syracuse last July!! And I'm a young professional female too!

I currently live in Liverpool - Westminster Apartments on Morgan Road. The apartments themselves are great, but I've been having issues with noisy neighbors, so I may be trying to get out of my lease early. Liverpool in general is a great area. I work right by the airport, so it only takes me about 10min to get to work.

If you want a very walkable district, I would recommend the Village of Liverpool. That's actually where I'd love to go after this apartment. I think that's one of the things I miss the most - being able to walk everywhere. I lived behind Waikiki, so I was always able to just walk or ride my bike to do most things. I hear that Eastwood (on the east side of the city) is also a very walkable area.

Where in Hawaii are you?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM

56,261 posts, read 80,427,244 times
This might be a complex that is perfect: Harborside Manor Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

There are some on Henry Clay Boulevard and Lakeview Apartments on Old Liverpool Road that might work too.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,067,113 times
[quote=Becca8377;14508012]That would be me!! I moved from Honolulu to Syracuse last July!! And I'm a young professional female too!

I currently live in Liverpool - Westminster Apartments on Morgan Road. The apartments themselves are great, but I've been having issues with noisy neighbors, so I may be trying to get out of my lease early. Liverpool in general is a great area. I work right by the airport, so it only takes me about 10min to get to work.

If you want a very walkable district, I would recommend the Village of Liverpool. quote]

A local developer is converting the upper floors of an historic downtown Liverpool commercial building into apartments with high ceilings and views of Onondaga Lake. Most major services like a small grocery store, dry cleaner, restaurant(s) are within a short walk as is Onondaga Lake Park. Here is the link:
401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,633,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
A local developer is converting the upper floors of an historic downtown Liverpool commercial building into apartments with high ceilings and views of Onondaga Lake. Most major services like a small grocery store, dry cleaner, restaurant(s) are within a short walk as is Onondaga Lake Park. Here is the link:
401 First Street, Liverpool NY - JGB Properties, LLC

YES!!! My aunt just drove me past these yesterday! I didn't realize they had a website up! Thanks so much!!!!!

Edit... outside my price range

Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks again for all the info! Also--I am looking for a place that will allow a med to large dog. So nearby parks/areas to take her out would be great! I did see some complexes on apartmentfinder that I'll investigate.

In HI, I'm close to Ward. Ala Moana Beach is a 5 min walk--I'm gonna miss it!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM

161 posts, read 319,785 times
Depending on your age, Tipperary Hill is worth a look too. Its mostly older apartments but a lot of them are in great shape (generally 2-fam duplexes). The population is generally just out of college people moving back to the area, and an older working class group that were already in the area. Probably best if you're under 30, most of the noise and partying is confined to the bars on tompkins st.

The landlords there would probably be lenient to pets and there are 2 decent sized parks within a short walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area