Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times

Advertisements

I am looking into purchasing a digital reader...I have not kept up with all the new technology so I know nothing about these things. I see the 2 most popular ones are the Kindle and the Sony reader. Does anyone have information to share about these? Which do you prefer? And most important - what is the big difference between them? Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that with the Kindle, you can ONLY download books from Amazon..is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I am looking into purchasing a digital reader...I have not kept up with all the new technology so I know nothing about these things. I see the 2 most popular ones are the Kindle and the Sony reader. Does anyone have information to share about these? Which do you prefer? And most important - what is the big difference between them? Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that with the Kindle, you can ONLY download books from Amazon..is this true?

I know this has nothing to do with Charlotte, but I shall mention that Kindle can only use books from Amazon.

The sony reader can get books from the library thought at the moment there are 216 fiction & 60 non-fiction ebooks in Mecklenbury Library system.

Having said that with the sony reader you can buy epub books direct from the publisher and various other sources, also google is launching it's own ebooks which will be able to be read on the sony but not the Kindle.

The technology is changing and the ipad may have become a game changer in ths market too early to tell.

Wife was torn ended up with the Sony and loves it, she is hoping in a year or so once they get better to replace it, but did not wnat to me tied to only Amazon.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I wish I had some insight for you. I am surprised these things are so popular because I don't understand the point of them. Books aren't that hard to carry around. May I ask why you want one? Is it more convenient for travel or living abroad (maybe books in English aren't as available)?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I can't tell you the differences between Sony and Kindle but I have a Kindle and can tell you that you can download books from places other than Amazon. You can only BUY new Kindle books from Amazon but you can download free ones in the public domain from several other places.

One thing I like that Amazon does is keep track of what you have already bought. A couple times I almost ordered a duplicate but their system warned me before I purchased it. Once it is bought, you can dowload it again from Amazon.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4303108

I don't know what system Sony uses to download books but Kindle is nice because you have a free connection from almost anywhere in the US. You can even use it to browse the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I wish I had some insight for you. I am surprised these things are so popular because I don't understand the point of them. Books aren't that hard to carry around. May I ask why you want one? Is it more convenient for travel or living abroad (maybe books in English aren't as available)?
Yes, books are that hard to carry around. We went to French Polynesia for 2 1/2 weeks (as well as other places) and it would have been much more inconvienent to carry around books. The Kindle weighs less than one paperback, much less the 10 I would have been carrying around otherwise. Certainly, if you are into collecting books this device is not for you.

I didn't think I would like my Kindle but I love it.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
The Apple iPad can download books from Amazon, Apple, and tens of thousands of free books using sites like Project Gutenberg.

Besides being a stellar reader with a 10+ hour battery life (I nearly always get 11.5 hrs out of mine), it a great way to consume online media whether the internet, email, Netflix, ABC, YouTube, etc.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Actually - large, hardback books can be very cumbersome to carry around, especially if you travel a lot. And a lot of new books are out in HB first.

I got one for Mrs. Tober last Christmas as she was always on the road for work, would finish a book, and usually would not have a chance to pick one up until she got back to her next airport - and then the selection was limited. For her it is great because if she finishes a book, she can download a new one in 60 seconds. So its great in that respect. We both prefer "real books" - but these are practical devices.

That said, I got her a Kindle. Very easy to read on - battery seems to last for a rediculously long amount of time. yes it is tied to Amazon, but their availability of books for the device is immense. I believe you can also subscribe to a number of periodicals through the Kindle as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
The Apple iPad can download books from Amazon, Apple, and tens of thousands of free books using sites like Project Gutenberg.

Besides being a stellar reader with a 10+ hour battery life (I nearly always get 11.5 hrs out of mine), it a great way to consume online media whether the internet, email, Netflix, ABC, YouTube, etc.
I haven't actually tried to read an iPad on the beach but it seems like it would be difficult due to the glare.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I haven't actually tried to read an iPad on the beach but it seems like it would be difficult due to the glare.
You would take a $259 Kindle to the beach? (their cheapest unit)

I only take my absolute cheapest stuff to the beach, no HD cams, no DSLRs, rarely my smartphone - it's vacation, relax!
Besides I don't like lotion goo and sand on my good gear, but maybe I am the minority.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
My DW did all the research and we bought her the Sony eReader. It's about 6 months old now and it is with her everyday! She reads all around the house, brings it to work for lunch hour, and takes it in her purse whenever we go away. I guess you can say she's a fan.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM

461 posts, read 984,824 times
Wife and I use our iPod Touches now. Going that route opens you up to all the different services, and open-source Stanza is the best reader software out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets