Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times

Advertisements

Asus Challenges Apple's iPad with Eee Pad | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMag.com
The Eee Pad is a Windows 7-based device that uses an Intel CULV Core 2 Duo processor and a touch-sensitive capacitive screen. It can be used as a multimedia player, e-reader, Web-browser, or, with the help of a keyboard docking station, full-featured PC. Asus will be releasing two versions of the Eee Pad. The EP101TC will come with a 10-inch screen and the EP121 will ship with a 12-inch screen. Asus claims both systems will deliver at least 10 hours of battery life.
Glad to see that Asus is not buckling like HP did. A Windows 7 tablet ensures that I can do whatever I want with it including stream whatever I want to it from my local media cache. I could also set up DirectAccess and pretty much have a large WAN no matter where I go.

Of course, there's no way this device can be priced at anything lower than $699 with that processor...but if they can manage to have it be speedy enough AND ensure that battery life or close to it, it'll already have superseded the iPad in terms of business usability. Let's see if they stick to the plan though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Why is no one aware of Archos?

ARCHOS

$459 w/a 60GB hard drive.

They also have an Android tablet.
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en

Last edited by Peregrine; 06-01-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Of course, there's no way this device can be priced at anything lower than $699 with that processor..
Another article I read yesterday says this is rumored to sell for $399 to $499, depending on the model purchased. If any company can sell one of these for that cheap, Asus can.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why is no one aware of Archos?

ARCHOS

$459 w/a 60GB hard drive.

They also have an Android tablet.
ARCHOS
Archos is garbage. It gets bad reviews everywhere, especially that Archos 5. HORRIBLE device. Even the iPad is better than that. And yes, I owned one and it was terrible - forced me to buy back my Zune HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Another article I read yesterday says this is rumored to sell for $399 to $499, depending on the model purchased. If any company can sell one of these for that cheap, Asus can.
I know Asus can price things lower but I don't see a CULV Intel chip being inexpensive at this point. Most laptops with that particular chip are priced rather out of whack.

Amazon.com: ViewSonic VNB141 14" Notebook Intel ULV Core 2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz; 2GB RAM; 250GB HD; DVD/CDRW; HDMI; Win 7 Home Premium: Computer & Accessories

Those are not good specs at all. I could get a Core 2 Duo with twice the RAM, twice the disk space and a better graphics card for $600, sacrificing only battery life (a sacrifice yes, but a small one). So I just don't see a contained tablet being priced below $699. If they pull it off kudos to them, but that processor simply has to be half the cost. Unless they're taking razor thin profit margins to try and beat iPad - a foolish move, IMO.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Asus Challenges Apple's iPad with Eee Pad | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Glad to see that Asus is not buckling like HP did. A Windows 7 tablet ensures that I can do whatever I want with it including stream whatever I want to it from my local media cache. I could also set up DirectAccess and pretty much have a large WAN no matter where I go.

Of course, there's no way this device can be priced at anything lower than $699 with that processor...but if they can manage to have it be speedy enough AND ensure that battery life or close to it, it'll already have superseded the iPad in terms of business usability. Let's see if they stick to the plan though.
This has the potential of being a good competitor against the iPad, particularly since the iPad runs the iPhone OS, and this runs W7. However, I do believe that at $700, sales are going to be slim (or not what they could/should be) since most PC users would declare it too expensive (at least judging by the PC users on this forum). I just don't see how people who believe that $1000 for a laptop is highway robbery (you know, Macbooks) would shell out $700 for a tablet, especially if they can save $400 or so by just buying a netbook.

Personally, I think that an (better) Android tablet is going to ultimately be the real competitor for the iPad since a) it would likely be competitively priced, b) the Android app market, while not as extensive as Apple's, is no slouch when it comes to options/available titles, and c) there are many, many people who are tired of both Apple and MS and are waiting for a worthwhile third choice.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This has the potential of being a good competitor against the iPad, particularly since the iPad runs the iPhone OS, and this runs W7. However, I do believe that at $700, sales are going to be slim (or not what they could/should be) since most PC users would declare it too expensive (at least judging by the PC users on this forum). I just don't see how people who believe that $1000 for a laptop is highway robbery (you know, Macbooks) would shell out $700 for a tablet, especially if they can save $400 or so by just buying a netbook.

Personally, I think that an (better) Android tablet is going to ultimately be the real competitor for the iPad since a) it would likely be competitively priced, b) the Android app market, while not as extensive as Apple's, is no slouch when it comes to options/available titles, and c) there are many, many people who are tired of both Apple and MS and are waiting for a worthwhile third choice.
Here's my deal. I'm fine with a worthwhile third choice so long as people understand "right tool for the right job". I just had this argument with a client of mine who wants to use systems contrary to what they're designed to do.

Working Word and Excel documents is not practical with a capacitive touchscreen. IT's not. True productivity is also not practical with anything but a keyboard, period. So the people who want to work on documents and spreadsheets yet expect to use anything other than Snow Leopard or Windows are simply deluding themselves; it's not reality. IMO a tablet should be nothing more than a window into the computer world. But in order to be that window, it has to support the same applications as a desktop/laptop without sacrificing battery life or disconnecting the user from being able to navigate and customize the device as they see fit.

If people want Android-ish or iPod-ish interfaces that's fine, so long as they understand that they will never replace a computer for productivity. That's all I'm saying. And it's not what I want. I want a tablet that has the same basic functions as a computer; that way I can load and manage files just like I do on my computer; share and distribute documents; add to domains and networks; and be mobile without breaking stride. The Motion Computing J3400 is exactly what I expect a tablet to be, it just needs to be thinner and lighter, but that's exactly what I expect out of a tablet for productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets