U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,751,004 times

Advertisements

First was the IPad. Now its Samsung who will follow suit with their tablet version called the Galaxy Tab. Yes, its called Galaxy just like the Android phone, because its based from the Galaxy line of phones. This one is a little more complicated to drop all the info on so here is a link : Do More on the Go with the Galaxy Tab

Which one of the three would you buy? Why?
In 3yrs will there be more than 10 types of tablets on the market? IPad Blackberry Playbook Galaxy Tab
Whats your criteria/functions (ie. wifi, flash, cams ect.) of a succsesful tablet?

Whats your opinion?

Last edited by FastFerrari; 11-06-2010 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Ok, well seems like I didnt do my homework. Just found out there are a slue of tablets that have come to various tech shows. With know it all by my side(Youtbue) I found these other gadgets soon to be on the market or already there.

-JooJoo
-Dell Mini 5
-Dell Streak
-Toshiba Folio 100
-MeeGo by Intel
-HP Slate
-Sony Dash

Wow! I didnt know there are going to be so many in such a short time.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,013 times
first off it more of a personal choice than i think of choice with that beening said i give my basic set of reason for going with the ipad and it o.s.system

1-screen size a lot easlyer on my eyes to see everything on a bigger screen now days..

2-no camera yet on the system i do not trust anything that has a camera on it for it comes back to some basic personal issuse of the use of camera and it can be used to spy on you ..

{{{as a sidenote on the number two line i explain it in this sentence

we are now starting to hear the socalled horror stories that are running in the news and tv stations about the abitly the some of the socalled schools and other places have beening able to accress the person computer and spy on them through the webcamera in the computer system ..

so i feel it much safer to not to have those items in a small tablet set up for personal use ..this my own personal views and thoughts on the subect. but each person should have the right to have them in a device that they own if they want them on the device that they own .}}}}

3-64 gb hard drive compared to the 2.gb harddrive along with sd card use to expand it ..

4-simple to use and learn OS system

5-security of the O.S ..as much as i dislike the way apple close the system to outsiders without getting there applications checked over by apple first before they are allowed to be posted to itunes for sale to the public that use the application ..

but i do like the fact that apple does think of the o.s. system beening used in the ipad and iphone as a safer choice for us consumer who use the o.s. system in every applications in banking and other areas of our personal lifes..

for a lot of use our phones from everything from websurfing to online banking so i have to tip my hat to them in that area..

6-the andriod system has to many outside the box people paying with it and it o.s. system can and has been hacked in a way when downloading a application there is a left open back door by the software maker for a another person who can go into the software and add something to the software that can spy on your personal accounts info and that where they get into your accounts and hurt you ..

that my personal thoughts on the matter it up to you who you chose to go with..not me for i am not putting the money out there for the product you are ..

Old 11-08-2010, 01:12 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,091,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
First was the IPad. Now its Samsung who will follow suit with their tablet version called the Galaxy Tab. Yes, its called Galaxy just like the Android phone, because its based from the Galaxy line of phones. This one is a little more complicated to drop all the info on so here is a link : Do More on the Go with the Galaxy Tab

Which one of the three would you buy? Why?
In 3yrs will there be more than 10 types of tablets on the market? IPad Blackberry Playbook Galaxy Tab
Whats your criteria/functions (ie. wifi, flash, cams ect.) of a succsesful tablet?

Whats your opinion?
The store-manager of a local Sprint shop stopped by and was talking about the Galaxy S. I was incredibly busy at the time and missed half the conversation, but apparently it's an ass-kicker. My only qualm with the Galaxy is it's significantly smaller than the iPad, 7" versus 10".

There are a handful of tablets out there--but buyer beware, some are garbage.

The greatest reason to like the Galaxy S has to be the open-source Android to begin with. You don't need to Jailbreak it. You don't need to wonder if Apple will allow an application for that--or if they will remove an application once you've installed it. You don't need to worry about Apple's hideous standards. All you need is a computer and someone willing to write the software.

With that, this generation of tablets needs to focus on a opening market--an ultraportable but highly functional internet device. That means HTML5 standards, Flash, Shockwave, Java, (and if possible) Silverlight support. It's also going to mean hardware for video-chat, multimedia viewing, and geopositioning. The first two generations aren't likely to replace laptops for the majority of users, so they don't need to set their sights for workhorse productivity. It doesn't need to run OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, GoogleDocs, or any number of productivity suites. It doesn't need significant editing capabilities beyond text editors, basic photomanipulation tools--and if power allows, some basic video editing tools.

Where the workhorse tablets are going to come in is around the slate markets. HP Compaqs infamous TC1100 series lacked the needed power, but had a great idea. They were slates with the added functionality of keyboards. They could be laptops, but served well as tablets.

And for ****s sake, make sure they can multitask.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,554,853 times
It looks good compared to the iPad. and it has flash too, which is a plus.

We just have to see the RIM Playbook now.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
My only qualm with the Galaxy is it's significantly smaller than the iPad, 7" versus 10".

Mine too. The draw of the iPad is its size. Not one tablet comes close to that 10" size. I am not a huge Apple fan but there is no competition for the iPad as long as the "competitors" think people will settle for a much smaller screen.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
.......The greatest reason to like the Galaxy S has to be the open-source Android to begin with. You don't need to Jailbreak it. You don't need to wonder if Apple will allow an application for that--or if they will remove an application once you've installed it. You don't need to worry about Apple's hideous standards. ........And for ****s sake, make sure they can multitask.
Your first point about Apple is so true. I found out this the hard way when i got my iphone. It has so many limits and regulations. This is supposed to be the age of freedom Apple.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
I'm not sure what I would do with a tablet after the first week. A computer without a keyboard isn't a computer to me. What I'd really like is a thin, good quality netbook with a higher resolution screen.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Just saw the first commercial for the Galaxy Tab for Verizon yesterday. Side note, I never knew Apple was making the IPad avaliable for Verizon as well.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,013 times
the tablets makers out there right now know that they can not fight the apple and it ipad market right now and they also know that people want a smaller tablet screen set up like a 7.inchs screen size .

so that the market that they are going after ..right or wrong they know that there is someone out there thats wants a smaller screen tablet out there and they are will to get to that people on board in the area of a small tablet for personal and business use by a single person .. ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or