Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,220 times

Advertisements

Wow!!! There are so many negative posts here and accusations saying that the only reason people buy Apple products is for status among other things???!!!!! That's sure NOT why my husband and I have them. In fact, that's never occurred to me. Believe me when I say that I'm no techie, to be sure, so I got an apple computer right off the bat back in 1995 and haven't looked back since. Why? Certainly NOT to show off, but because I'm a slow learner and they're fun and easy to use. That's all!

Please don't rain on we new iPad 2er's parade! I bet YOU, too, like to get new toys. I stood on line, not all that long because it was extremely organized by the way, and got mine on Friday.

Here's why.....I need a second computer, an extremely portable one, and my new iPad 2 will do everything I need and want for my purposes:

I will be going to FREE instruction classes to learn all of it's capabilities and how to use them compliments of my local Apple Store.

I can manipulate photos almost as well as I can on photoshop and certainly well enough to suit my needs.

I can print them, and anything else, from my iPad 2.

I can download iPages and use it like I would my Word Program.

I can handle my email account efficiently, reading, deleting, answering them, on it.

I could keep track of my schedule and every other little detail of running my life FAR beyond what I personally need simply by downloading an app.

I can type directly on the screen or use a wireless keyboard if I choose to.

I can download all my music to it.

I can even use it as a "sleep machine" in hotels if I needed it by downloading any of the apps for that purpose. It just does everything!

Even doctors are using them now to show patients their scans, xrays, etc. while they are doing their rounds.

The list is endless of what is possible to do on an iPad 2 and it weighs less than my iPhone does and is so portable that it would probably fit in most women's purses with no problem!

Opps! And yes, although it plays the part of a serious machine, by all means its a GREAT toy! I've already downloaded several apps that I'm having a blast on. Again, the list of apps available to entertain and educate yourself is endless and the "hands on the screen" ability you have with an iPad makes it a lot more fun to do it.

Well, I'm a happy camper, anyway!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
I picked up an iPad 2 (64GB + GSM 3G) on Friday and am thrilled with it, highly doubt I will ever buy a traditional laptop again.
That is saying something since 1990 or so I have always had 1 laptop + at least 1 desktop.

For full disclosure I do have two other desktops for purposed workflows, but the iPad wonderfully serves up all my mobile computing needs.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
my wife has been wanting one of these since early november. i kept saying 'wait for the new one' and so she did. i was skeptical and didn't think it would serve much of a purpose.

but for us, it is really a cool thing. facetime alone is priceless for us. it is such a more dynamic chatting experience compared with ichat video where we are 'chained' to the desktop. especially for the grandparents to see the baby. i've also read webpages and news while leaning back in the recliner. and it should work great for recipes.

i know it isn't for everyone. much of what we use it for could be done with a laptop i'm sure. but we don't and won't have a laptop and this form factor and the 10 hour battery life make it pretty much ideal for us.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Line for the iPad 2 in NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfD1XU9dH4
as a native new yorker i am *not* proud of this i think it's beyond absurd

Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
my wife enjoyed standing in line but said the worst part was how everyone that walked by would make snide comments about people waiting in line.

people really learn to mind their own business and quit being so judgmental about EVERYTHING.

so you think the ipad is dumb and the lines are dumb. most people agree with you. get over it and get a hobby.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 PM

152 posts, read 186,065 times
I would have loved to give the Android tablets a chance, but there is nothing to choose from. The Dell Streak is a nice little device, particularly the 5" model. But Dell decided not to move forward with their WIFI only product. And Motorola, likewise, has not produced or even officially announced a WIFI only Xoom. I have to assume that the money is in the wireless market, so corporate greed has once again trumped the consumer. Know what, I'm not a big Apple fan, but I will cheerfully fork out the money for an IPAD because it meets my needs, the others don't!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Apparently Apple sold 15 million iPads over the last year, and 1 million this past weekend of the iPad 2.

I can only imagine more people would have bought the Xoom if it was priced cheaper and there were more appropriate models to choose from with wifi only, or less memory.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
But Dell decided not to move forward with their WIFI only product. And Motorola, likewise, has not produced or even officially announced a WIFI only Xoom. I have to assume that the money is in the wireless market, so corporate greed has once again trumped the consumer. Know what, I'm not a big Apple fan, but I will cheerfully fork out the money for an IPAD because it meets my needs, the others don't!
whats so great about wifi

Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
whats so great about wifi
because some people like myself do not need another data plan

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,220 times
I had fun standing on line. Then again the entire process only took me 3 hours and I was standing under palm trees and sunshine in FL. Best of all, nobody made fun of us!

I also got a kick out of your video, Grimace8. (I'm from NY, too so I know how crazy we are, LOL) I wouldn't have stood in THAT line, either!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets