Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM

495 posts, read 747,845 times

Advertisements

Does the proliferation of content farms spell the ultimate end of Google — and getting reliable info from an Internet search?

Content farms vary in the quality of copy they produce, but it is fair to say that there are few articles that aren’t keyword driven or geared strictly to promote someone or sell something.

Unfortunately, that is just the nature of the ugly beast.

Since this content, which some characterize as “vomit content... .

Will Google Be Replaced by Kindle, Nook and iPad Platforms? - Latest SEO News & Strategies - SEO Lurker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
no. I would would say the nook and kindle platforms will pass into obscurity.
Google will need to reign in some of the open source variations of the Android system, or it may fragment into a linux-like mess.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 AM

25 posts, read 63,020 times
Oddly enough I am a recent google convert .... so they are still winning some folks over, after years of holding out. What did it, you may ask ?? The android phone. We have both versions of the nook at home (the older black and white and the newer touchscreen color), we have work provided blackberrys etc. Yet - what am I most looking forward to getting within the next few months - an android based tablet. BUT - I want it to have the ability to receive phone calls and use blue tooth ..... that's what I am holding out for. Though - wonder if voip works on a tablet. Android will keep google alive, and vice versa, as long as they keep up with flexible portable usable hardware base to go with it.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:48 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
The link is broken.
My rply to the question though is: huh?
Why would Kindle kill Google? How?
Makes no sense.

Nook killing Google makes no sense either. Y'know the Nook Color is a Android (Google) device.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Why would a Kindle kill Google? Kindle is a device for reading e-books while Google is a search engine on the web.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times
I pulled the Google cache of that ridiculously titled article, but it didn't exist in the cache.

I own a Nook Color and it absolutely would not kill Google since it is simply a book reader. I rooted it, am running a Honeycomb Android ROM and even with all this running it isn't going to kill Google since it actually gives you about 10 more ways to create revenue for them and is running Google's Android OS. The Kindle doesn't touch their advertising revenue because it is just a book reader. Even the Ipad creates revenue from users accessing Gmail and being exposed to Google ads around every corner.

If the article was about the death of Google books I really doubt it. My rooted nook has the Nook app, the Kindle app, the Google books app and the ireader app on it. The bells and whistles between apps are trivial for me. I do prefer to get my books with the least intrusive DRM and in the most universal format. Whomever pulls strings in that direction will get my book spending money.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
You have to remember, Google is a data mining company and exists for advertising and marketing dollars. Its Android OS is part of its plan to harvest data to sell to companies, as is its search engine, cloud computing efforts, Youtube, Picasa, etc... Its a mind-numbing amount of information that Google owns or has access to that it uses for profit.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 03-07-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I see this from time to time, commercial products placed at the top of a Google search due to the efforts of a group of people targeting Googles search algorithm. I can say that a lot of the time they are not useful results, do not provide information....just sell, sell, sell. I can usually sniff out these "questionable" results pretty quick.
I expect Google to adapt their engine to assure that their CUSTOMERS do not have to wade through TONS of junk results, maybe just wishful thinking??????????

Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Progressive25 has a habit of popping up, posting some verbiage and some random link in a new post, never ever replying to any queries from other people, then disappearing - only to repeat the cycle in a few hours to a few weeks.

I think that Progressive25 is a form of spambot, purposefully posting backlinks onto web forums in order to drive up search engine rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets