Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
With the iPad, yes, you can print to any wireless, bluetooth, or network printer.
I can't afford an iPad 2 right now, but I went and got a 4th gen. iPod touch. I discovered that it won't print to my wireless printer. I would have to go out and get a new printer that has AirPrint or whatever they call it. I thought the ipad 2 was the same (have to have a newer printer with the AirPrint feature). Is it really different? (I'm using iOS 4.3) If it really can print to any printer than I will want one someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
I replaced a laptop with an iPad last year and for the most part, could not be happier.
Now, granted, my portable computer use was mostly for travel or around the house - 100% web/email/forums/reports/social media with an occasional movie thrown in the mix, I am not a gamer.
The iPad does all this wonderfully and almost a year later returns a solid 9.5-10 hr battery life (~65% brightness, all networking on, push email).
IMHO the Kindle is a better purposed e-reader, but magazines are wonderful on the iPad, in fact I have canceled my 6 paper periodicals and changed each to a download on my tablet. I would not want to do a lot of typing on the screen (although a few paragraphs at a time are no problem), but it readily pairs with any BlueTooth keyboard if one gets a wild hair to write a novella.

For my photo/video/photoshop work I still need a full desktop and have two for different purposed workflows, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the utility of the iPad.

The wonderful thing is that the market is offering up many appliance computing choices competing for our dollars, and that market is growing.
The vast majority of computer users may find today and tomorrows' tablets are all they really need. It's a new paradigm.

If you are a musician, the Apple GarageBand app (4.99) is nothing short of incredible.
An 8 track digital recorder allowing full music creation and editing on a device that is less than 9mm thin, weighs 1.3 lbs and has a solid 10 hr battery life.
Just a few years ago I needed a loaded laptop for this, and a few years before that a highend desktop.

But haters are going to hate I suppose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets