Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 59,371 times

Advertisements

I would like to purchase a tablet, but I know little about them, or there seems to be information missing form their stats.

I am looking for something that is:

~affordable
~wi-fi capable
~can connect to blue tooth (not just certain ones)
~has a decent speed
~won't suddenly become ridiculously slow
~so-so decent memory (not really looking to store a lot on information on it)
~light
~not as big as my desktop screen (about 7" is what I have been looking through, I can adjust to something a little bigger or smaller)

I am looking for information regarding what to look for in a tablet. I won't be making the actual purchase for some time so I have plenty of time to do my research. What tablets have had enough reviews to know which ones are going to actually last? If someone is a member of Consumer Reports it would be appreciated to look up some that you feel are decent.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Either the Toshiba Thrive, The Asus Transformer or the iPad3.

I wouldn't even, personally, consider anything else.

7" is to small imo.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM

I will look into those. As for size, it seems to depend on the use of it and the preference of the person. I have been checking out the ones in Best Buy and the smaller ones seem to be fine for my preference.

Thank you

Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Also, if it can have a Microsoft Excel application downloaded that would be wonderful too!

I forgot that a store employee had told me that the Android tablets will not be able to because they do not have a contract with Microsoft as of yet.

My reason (not as if it matters) is that I will be taking it to places that do not have wi-fi but will be wanting to look at my Excel sheets. I currently use Google Docs for their version of Excel and they do have the option to download (and upload) Excel files. I do not wish to spend money each month on internet for the tablet.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianButterfly View Post
Also, if it can have a Microsoft Excel application downloaded that would be wonderful too!

I forgot that a store employee had told me that the Android tablets will not be able to because they do not have a contract with Microsoft as of yet.

My reason (not as if it matters) is that I will be taking it to places that do not have wi-fi but will be wanting to look at my Excel sheets. I currently use Google Docs for their version of Excel and they do have the option to download (and upload) Excel files. I do not wish to spend money each month on internet for the tablet.
Whatever store that is I recommend not buying anything there:

Amazon.com: OfficeSuite Pro 5: Appstore for Android

Amazon.com: Quickoffice Pro: Appstore for Android

Just two examples. I searched amazon appstore for office to find these.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianButterfly View Post
I would like to purchase a tablet, but I know little about them, or there seems to be information missing form their stats.

I am looking for something that is:

~affordable
~wi-fi capable
~can connect to blue tooth (not just certain ones)
~has a decent speed
~won't suddenly become ridiculously slow
~so-so decent memory (not really looking to store a lot on information on it)
~light
~not as big as my desktop screen (about 7" is what I have been looking through, I can adjust to something a little bigger or smaller)

I am looking for information regarding what to look for in a tablet. I won't be making the actual purchase for some time so I have plenty of time to do my research. What tablets have had enough reviews to know which ones are going to actually last? If someone is a member of Consumer Reports it would be appreciated to look up some that you feel are decent.

Thank you for your time.
One very big item to consider.............
How well could you get along without a keyboard or mouse?

So many people grew up using a keyboard/mouse that the transition to a tablet of any brand can be very daunting. Now consider that you add a keyboard/mouse to your tablet. If you do that you might as well buy a good laptop.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
One very big item to consider.............
How well could you get along without a keyboard or mouse?

So many people grew up using a keyboard/mouse that the transition to a tablet of any brand can be very daunting. Now consider that you add a keyboard/mouse to your tablet. If you do that you might as well buy a good laptop.
For folks that need a keyboard and mouse, there's the convertible tablet option. It's not quite as small as a slate tablet, but gives you the benefits of a laptop and a tablet.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For folks that need a keyboard and mouse, there's the convertible tablet option. It's not quite as small as a slate tablet, but gives you the benefits of a laptop and a tablet.
Yes, but why buy a tablet in the first place when you wind up with a laptop anyway with a convertible?

I don't care what some else buys it's just not to well thought out to buy a tablet than convert it (at extra expense ) to a laptop.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Yes, but why buy a tablet in the first place when you wind up with a laptop anyway with a convertible?

I don't care what some else buys it's just not to well thought out to buy a tablet than convert it (at extra expense ) to a laptop.
So you can use it as a laptop when you need a laptop and as a tablet when you need a tablet.

Both, laptops and tablets have their benefits and drawbacks. A convertible tablet tries to mesh the two in order to meet both needs.

I have a convertible tablet, and there's nothing that it cannot do compared to a standard laptop. But it has the added feature of being used as a tablet.

I'm not suggesting that it's for everyone, but it's a very good option for those who want something in the middle.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM

422 posts, read 756,931 times
SKip the IPAD3 look up the ASUS Transformers they are coming out with an even newer one in the summer called Asus T7000 quad core tablet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets