Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

oh I thought this was about Scottish Tablet and got interested and was about to give you a good recipe to cook this fantastic fattening sweet, but their ye go were talking fancy state of the art machinery and not my scots sweetie.. oh how your all missing out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:21 AM

59 posts, read 116,705 times
I have an ipad2 and a blackberry playbook and love both of them! I use my playbook for work and my ipad2 for play. Apple really needs to get that 7 inch tablet out already!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:18 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I mean mostly for casual/non-work use.

I mean from any brand/company.

Who's had and used one for at least a few months?

Do you use it very often?

Do you find yourself erring back toward your laptop or smartphone?

Yes, I want one, but keep refraining from buying one esp given that many cost as much as a laptop.
most of them are better than Laptops. I'm really eyeing the Galaxy Tab 2...a very nice all around tablet.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
$100? Seriously??
Those $100 tablets are crap.
And now you want to compare a $500 iPad to a $100 Android tablet?
Yea, ok.

You got what you paid for.
that was funny to. Read. Lol @ the 100 dollar tablet being a bad purchase lol

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I got a refurb Toshiba Thrive that looks new, the 10 inch one, for $209.
Very pleased.
^^ Very underrated tablet--but of course, I would say that because I have one, too!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Watching the Olympics yesterday. Wife asks if she can turn on Aladdin for my son.
"Sure"
Reach for my Thrive. Open the app store. Search "Olympics".
Download the NBC app. 8 minutes later I am sitting on the couch watching the Olympics on my tablet while my wife and son watch Aladdin next to me.
After he went to bed we sat on the porch and had a few beers. Sat the tablet on a table and could look over at that at our leisure.

Tablets rock.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
I just picked up a Nexus Tablet. I have several various tablets but this is by far the most 'mobile' for me and my favorite so far.
I love the vanilla version of Jellybean on this thing and its fluid. I like getting the first updates with Nexus product as I have in the past with the other Google branded devices.

My least favorite was the G Slate by LG. Actually I am convinced that Honeycomb was a version Google quickly wanted to get past. It was awful.

Having used Windows 8 RC on my HTPC right now, I am really looking forward to the Surface and tablets that will be coming out.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
As long as tablets are only for consuming and not producing technology, I see them as a nice toy. If I get one for Christmas one of these years I'll probably play around with it. Actually, I shouldn't knock it-I've used the Ipad and it's really a dream to navigate the web and different apps. But even not at work I need to be able to use Excel/VBA and an easy way to use a code editor for web development as I have a lot of side projects.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM

403 posts, read 867,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Any "tablet" is a task specific device. Unless you have specific task that a tablet can do then they are nothing more than very expensive "toys" for the rich and foolish.

"casual/non-work use" reads I want a new toy. Can you afford this new toy?
Not really. Ten years ago computer software & games was a huge market, not so much anymore. With tablets you can download all sorts of helpful utility type apps & lots of free games. There is alot you can do with a tablet that is easier & more convenient than a laptop. We just got my brother & my husband Asus Tranformer TF300 droid based tablets. We got a great deal (Office Max Maxperks money mostly) & both the guys like them, best thing is they are flash compatible, which my iPad2 is not. But there are things I like to do with iPad, I can stream, via AirPlay to our receiver in the livingroom. I like that I can make a quick playlist then have outplaying while doing housework. I also have an outdoor speaker "rock" that plays from my iPad to outside wherever I place it. I couldnt do that with any ease & wireless with a laptop. I can do all sorts of things on my tables from websurfing (like right now) to paying bills to sending/receiving emails. And can do it all with a lightweight device. Also, my iPad battery lasts at least 10hrs, usually more since I can get a few days in between charges, my laptop lasts 2hrs tops. Then there is also the convenience of electronic books, which I love. I can read the book o. My table, then if I do run battery down (and I've done it by reading so much) I can then grab my iPhone and sync, a few seconds later my book opens right where I left off on my now changing tablet. So it's more than a rich person toy.

Trust me, we are not rich yet we have tablets.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 PM

11 posts, read 18,153 times
I have SpeedUp S2 7 ". They are about $ 140 from an official outlet SpeedUp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets