Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting a tablet. That is the electronic device that I would need in order to view ebooks? If so, which tablets should I consider loolking into? And is there a comprehensive list out there of available ebooks?

Thank you.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
If all you want it an "EReader" you should look at the Amazon Kindle, the Barnes and Noble Nook or the Sony E-Reader.
No there is not one comprehensive list.
Go to Barnes and Noble and do a search. Go to Amazon and do a search. Go to your local library website and do a search. GO to Google Play and search. There are millions of titles out there.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Any tablet probably has e-reader apps that can be downloaded. I use Kindle on my iPad.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:53 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If all you want it an "EReader" you should look at the Amazon Kindle, the Barnes and Noble Nook or the Sony E-Reader.
No there is not one comprehensive list.
Go to Barnes and Noble and do a search. Go to Amazon and do a search. Go to your local library website and do a search. GO to Google Play and search. There are millions of titles out there.
Would you recommend either the Kindle or the Nook?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
I think it would help if you could tell us if you're only looking to read books, or use the tablet for much more? What is your budget? That would help to know, too.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am thinking about getting a tablet. That is the electronic device that I would need in order to view ebooks? If so, which tablets should I consider loolking into? And is there a comprehensive list out there of available ebooks?

Thank you.
I started out reading e-books on my ipad then bought a used Kindle. The kindle is the hands down clear winner for e-book IMO. The Ipad and other tablets are designed as hand held computers better suited to the work that computers would normally be tasked to do. Reading on a tablet is not the designed purpose it's a frill to sell tablets.

So if e-reading is the task at hand your money would be better spent on a simple e-reader like a kindle,nook ,etc. As this link shows there is many more options to selecting a good e-reader. I selected a Kindle due to my Amazon account and ease of e-book selection that fit my tastes. However, as the link shows there really is much to consider to get an e-reader that best suits you. One thing is sure a tablet isn't the best choice for simple e-reading.

Current offering in 2013........
http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Would you recommend either the Kindle or the Nook?
Personally if I had to choose an E-Reader it would be the Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight. And this from an Amazon fan. I just like the way B&N have handled the E-Reader market.
They beat Amazon by a large margin when it came to getting books from a library. The Nooks were able to do it when they were released. For Kindles it was added kind of recently.
And other things I think they've just done better at then Amazon.
I like to speak with my dollars.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Personally if I had to choose an E-Reader it would be the Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight. And this from an Amazon fan. I just like the way B&N have handled the E-Reader market.
They beat Amazon by a large margin when it came to getting books from a library. The Nooks were able to do it when they were released. For Kindles it was added kind of recently.
And other things I think they've just done better at then Amazon.
I like to speak with my dollars.
On a side note.....
B&N isn't that stable of a company anymore with print going by the wayside. Know that they may not be around long for service of a nook product.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM

I don't think B&N is going anywhere. Well, the brick and mortar stores may disappear forever, but I think they will try to be more Amazon-like and concentrate on the electronic market. I haven't given up on them yet.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think B&N is going anywhere. Well, the brick and mortar stores may disappear forever, but I think they will try to be more Amazon-like and concentrate on the electronic market. I haven't given up on them yet.
#2 son manages a B&N store in Chicago and business is brisk but that is a mega city but smaller stores struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets