Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I stand it up to do Skype/FaceTime and watch videos. It’s meant to prop it up, not support heavy swiping or typing in that configuration. The cover is attached with magnets and is designed to come off easily.
Heavy typing? You don't need to press hard for the thing to fall over.

http://www.amazon.com/Snugg-Leather-...9703756&sr=8-3

@ half the price that looks like a much more solid stand.
Totally disagree with "anyone should consider this". Avoid that thing at all costs. There are much better cheaper options.
I thought it was so sweet when I saw it. In practice, it sucks.
A few more weeks of using it you will agree with me. I am taking ours back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
... I thought it was so sweet when I saw it. In practice, it sucks.
A few more weeks of using it you will agree with me. I am taking ours back...
Nope. I've been happy with mine for months (since early May). It sounds like our usage patterns differ, is all.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Yea, I am guessing you don't use yours standing up often.
Sorry to come off SO anti-magentic case. I wanted to love it. Figured it was awesome since it was the ONLY one they sell at the store. Paid a premium for it.... and hate it. lol

Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Yea, I am guessing you don't use yours standing up often.
Sorry to come off SO anti-magentic case. I wanted to love it. Figured it was awesome since it was the ONLY one they sell at the store. Paid a premium for it.... and hate it. lol
No problem. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

If I'm going to be physically interacting (as opposed to simply looking) at my iPad propped up, I put it on this stand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043NH28S

Old 10-28-2011, 02:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I got this one. Smart cover function (like Apple's) but also offers back protection. Nice leather look as well. Just 30 bucks.

Amazon.com: splash SIGNATURE Folio Leather Case for Apple iPad 2 2G 2nd Generation with 3-Step Stand and Magnetic Closure for Sleep/Wake Function (BROWN): Electronics

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 AM

*UPDATE*

Gotta give Apple credit, they took it back with no complaints.
Bought the *see attached* case for my wife for Valentine's Day.

This thing blows that ***** little magnetic one out of the water and it was $25.00. I still say avoid that crappy $70 magnetic one at all costs...
Attached Thumbnails
iPad2 Cover-imag0271.jpg  

Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
You have GOT to be kidding me. I bought one of those for my wife. $65.00 for that POS cover? Apple should be embarassed to sell such a lousy "cover".
It comes off a lot. If you fold it to stand it up you have to be careful touching the screen or it falls over.
My wife and I are both disgusted with the lousy quality of that "cover".
I expect better from Apple.
You could have purchased a regular Smart Cover (plastic) for $34.00.

The one on my wife's iPad does not come off because it's hinged to a back cover. The Smart Cover is attached to the Zum back cover, so you remove the back cover and the Smart Cover stays attached to it by the hinges. My wife wanted a blue color back and front cover, which I got for her.

This one, but it comes in different colors:
Amazon.com: ZUM SC ULTIMATE with Smart Cover Lock for iPad 2 Smart Cover - Prevents Accidental detachment! We got your Back Covered! (SMART COVER IS NOT INCLUDED): Electronics

The back cover above costs $25.00, and the Smart Cover $34.00.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-23-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Zagg Folio iPad2 covers? Or if you have an iPad can you suggest a good cover. The ones at the Apple Store only covers the front and not the back of the system.

Thanks!
There are numerous back covers on the market that are designed so that the Smart Cover can be attached to it with hinges. For example The Zum cover I posted above. But the Zagg Folio also does that for you without the need to purchase a Smart Cover.

There are a myriad of covers for the iPad 2 you can use. If you have a little time, just look around the local Walmart, Fred Meyer, Radio Shack, Target, etc., for iPad covers. If you want real fancy ones, some are made of Italian leather, or even alligator skin, but cost a fortune. A lot of the covers for the iPad cost around $35.00 and do an excellent job protecting all the sides of it. I bought a brown color cover at Walmart that looks like a thin notebook. The iPad is attached to a frame made of 4 plastic corners at the center of the padded back cover. The front cover is padded, and turn the iPad ON when opened. But this padded cover is better than the Zum when she travels. The colorful Zum cover, plus the Smart Cover attached, are kind of flashy and tell everyone that you are carrying an iPad.

Most of the covers that look like a wallet or notebook (protect the front/back of the iPad 2) have a sort of Smart Cover already. When you open the front cover, it turns the iPad ON for you. When you close the front cover, it turns the iPad off. Most front covers also fold so you can lean the iPad at an angle level to your eyes. Just make sure that you look for such features.

Prepare for a shock
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...over-20110629/

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-23-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You could have purchased a regular Smart Cover (plastic) for $34.00.
True. I splurged. But platic or leather, it's still that same awful design, imo.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
True. I splurged. But platic or leather, it's still that same awful design, imo.
I have no idea of what you are talking about being an "awful design" since some of the covers do not fold like the Smart Cover. Some of the wallet type covers work just like when you open a book, and don't have hinges like the Smart Cover. They still have the magnetic strips that turn the iPad on/off, but don't fold into a stand like the Smart Cover does.

The design is just fine, but the price for it is not. But if you don't like the design of the Smart Cover, there are a lot others to choose from at Amazon and other stores. Some of the wallet or notebook-shape ones cost around $19.00. You will start seeing some of the cases I have referred to on page 2 and further.
http://www.google.com/search?client=....,cf.osb&cad=b

This one costs $22.00 and is pretty nice:
http://www.amazon.com/leather-Smart-.../dp/B0065DN1P2

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-23-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets