U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM

2,366 posts, read 4,727,465 times

Advertisements

OK, I've had mine for 2 days and burned way too many hours fooling with it. I'm gonna give it a week, but at this stage, it's going back. Major complaints -

1) The pad repeatedly drops WiFi during web browsing, requiring manual reconnection, despite the fact I'm sitting literally 5' from the router. There's a laptop on the other side of the house that maintains a consistent connection via the same router, so I don't think the router is the problem. The browser is sharp and works well, but the WiFi connection is a game breaker.

2) The virtual keypad is seriously incompatible with my fingers. Not sure I can overcome that.

3) The email client sets up well, but the font on the emails is too tiny and doesn't zoom out like the browser.

On the plus side, the color display is bright and very sharp. It makes a great e-reader, but so far it's a disappointing pad.

Anybody else playing with one? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:58 PM

7,801 posts, read 11,779,397 times
My WiFi is ok, but I am unable to set up emails for some reason.

I use a stylus for typing, even though I have small hands.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM

8,096 posts, read 11,931,525 times
What about 3G?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,782,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
What about 3G?
Fire is Wi-Fi only - there is no 3G option

Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,521,399 times
I have had mine a few weeks now, and I like it so far

Pros - Nice screen, decent apps (you get a paid one for free every day), good battery life, lotsa books (free ones too!).

Cons - too easy to buy stuff (especially in the hands of a toddler! Must turn off Wi-Fi!!!), menu button can sometimes be hard to get to (esp with a case), screen is a bit small for good web surfin (more for just now and then), cant organize books into collections (all one big folder),no extra storage!!!!

I wanted the nook tablet, but this was a gift, so I cant really complain. Over all, its very nice and usable. Been doing alot more reading now that I have it.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,014,867 times
Amazon is taking a huge gamble with the Fire. Early hour problems are getting a LOT of bad press while customer satisfaction ratings are very low.

Amazon is even selling the Fire for a loss but that's how bad they want a piece of the tablet market. If they fail with the Fire............

Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM

14,210 posts, read 10,345,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Amazon is taking a huge gamble with the Fire. Early hour problems are getting a LOT of bad press while customer satisfaction ratings are very low.

Amazon is even selling the Fire for a loss but that's how bad they want a piece of the tablet market. If they fail with the Fire............
For something that's so bad it sure is out at best buy and walmart a lot . The kindle is a nice basic entry level tablet for a user on a budget, or someone younger. I'ts not a galaxy or an iPad however, and for 200 dollars you are gonna notice a difference.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,014,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
For something that's so bad it sure is out at best buy and walmart a lot . The kindle is a nice basic entry level tablet for a user on a budget, or someone younger. I'ts not a galaxy or an iPad however, and for 200 dollars you are gonna notice a difference.
Sometimes I think that the Fire customers "think" they are getting a cheaper ipad when the two devices are not on equal footing. These people will be very disappointed in the Fire.

The ipad is the ipad thus owning the tablet market for now. The Fire , at best , is a multi purpose entertainment device. These people will enjoy the Fire for what it is.

I own both a Kindle Keyboard and ipad finding them to be great for the uses I want to assign to them. I'm very happy with both. Don't need a Fire so I won't be buying one.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,534,803 times
Bought my wife the Fire for Christmas and she loves it! I read a particularly thorough user review about the Fire which I thought to be pretty honest. The Fire is not designed nor intended to compete with the I-pad. Amazon sells the Fire at a low cost in hopes to make up the loss by purchasing books & streaming video from their website. Since we already had an Amazon on demand account it was the locgical route to go.
I am disappointed it doesn't have 3G, but neither does the Nook.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,450,008 times
My wife and daughter got Fire's for Christmas and they both love them. So far they have worked perfectly and do everything expected of them. They do pretty much everything the average iPad user uses their iPad for: surfing the internet and reading. Those who want to use a tablet as a mini computer shouldn't buy a Fire as it was never intended to be an iPad. It is aimed at the huge portion of tablet users that want a portable, good quality, reasonably priced tablet for simple tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or