U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 PM

471 posts, read 1,351,977 times

Advertisements

Not to sound smart-alecky or start an argument, but personally I would buy a netbook if you want something small and portable. They aren't as cool or "sexy" as a tablet but they do much more because they are real i.e. full fledged computers, not just so-called media consumption devices and are much cheaper than most tablets.

Sorry, though I am a major tech nerd and even have a (now outdated) electronics degree and always admired the "tablets" used in ST:TNG , to me tablets in general are "casual" convenience devices and I would not pay over $150 for one. IMO most of their usefulness vs. a netbook or PC is limited to specific tasks, and they can be a hassle to use (the touch screen itself in particular e.g. I hate typing on them for more than a two line paragraph).

Last edited by Lije Baley; 12-31-2011 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM

33,652 posts, read 58,439,533 times
I will own a tablet later this year... 2012
They do what they do well.
LTE and design improvements will make that happen.
They are perfect for doing presentations with small groups at a table, pushing around for signing documents, etc. I don't consider them as computers, just as devices.

That said, I tried to get a $99/$149 TouchPad and failed. That was about all I was willing to pay. I want the device to USE it, not to putz around with ATTEMPTING to use it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 PM

12,450 posts, read 31,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Not to sound smart-alecky or start an argument, but personally I would buy a netbook if you want something small and portable. They aren't as cool or "sexy" as a tablet but they do much more because they are real i.e. full fledged computers, not just so-called media consumption devices and are much cheaper than most tablets.

Sorry, though I am a major tech nerd and even have a (now outdated) electronics degree and always admired the "tablets" used in ST:TNG , to me tablets in general are "casual" convenience devices and I would not pay over $150 for one. IMO most of their usefulness vs. a netbook or PC is limited to specific tasks, and they can be a hassle to use (the touch screen itself in particular e.g. I hate typing on them for more than a two line paragraph).
Nope Not interested...I already have a Full laptop & I cant take it to bed & read on it or to Drs appointments!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:31 PM

28,285 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but won't this do what you want?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=sa_menu_kdpo3

Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Mike my needs as simple I dont use 1/2 of the junk software on my HP laptop!
That being said So far what I seen on YouTube about it I like INCLUDING being able to Change the OS to Windows!! Yes 3 showed win8 on it 1 showed win7 [so maybe 8 a typeO?] With 32 gigs of space thats All I need! & I can sideload stuff also. I am a bit conserned IF it will have any warrenties with it thro HP & I sent a email asking. BTW WebOS is OPEN so geeks can do their thing so I betting they will be adding things to it all the time!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but won't this do what you want?

Kindle Fire - Full Color 7" Multi-Touch Display with Wi-Fi - More than a Tablet
LOL NOOO Dont want the Junky Fire! I was thinking of getting the Updated newer one thats supose to be released this summer.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nope Not interested...I already have a Full laptop & I cant take it to bed & read on it or to Drs appointments!
Er, have you ever used a netbook? They're tiny compared to even the smallest laptop and when folded are smaller than an iPad. Check out this HP for example (available in several different colors too).

Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 PM

I have seen Tons of Minis BUT None leave the keyboard behind or fold them out of the way fro reading! Find one of those & I may consider it!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 PM

BTW when I mentioned usefulness, I wasn't referring to the preloaded garbage software loaded onto most computers, I was talking about having a real keyboard, USB ports so you can easily print out whatever you need or use a flashdrive, SD slots for memory card use, not having to use your fingers to constantly resize or move around webpages not optimized for tablet use, and many other aspects non-nerds use their computer for i.e. just regular ol' daily tasks.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have seen Tons of Minis BUT None leave the keyboard behind or fold them out of the way fro reading! Find one of those & I may consider it!
Er, well O.K but 1) even when they're UNfolded most netbooks I've messed with aren't any larger or are barely larger, than most full-sized tablets and 2) am not sure why the keyboard would be a hindrance to reading what's on the screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets