U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM

21,552 posts, read 14,918,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
I'm not sure if that's accurate, and I'm not going to go and look because all it takes to join or form a union is a consensus amongst employees and some paperwork.

With salary, benefits and the pension obligations included a UAW worker is costing the big three about $72 per hour. If I remember correctly the same worker in a foreign auto plant where there is no union is costing the company about half that.

Quote:
If they could afford to import them and sell them up to now, they could certainly afford to keep doing that. Whether you're shipping a million tons of cars, or a million tons of cheap made in China junk that will broken in a week, it costs just as much to run a boat.
It's because of the percentage of the product. For example when I delivering coal I could make far more on 5 tons of coal than I could on 5 tons of rock, the value of the product was a lot more for the same volume. Even when I was taking it to farther away places the price increased but as percentage of the total cost it wasn't that much, if it were rock I'd have to double the price....

Let's say it costs $2000 to ship either a car or 10,000 ipads. You're only adding 20 cents to the cost of the Ipad for shipping.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM

119 posts, read 107,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
With salary, benefits and the pension obligations included a UAW worker is costing the big three about $72 per hour. If I remember correctly the same worker in a foreign auto plant where there is no union is costing the company about half that.
BMW is making all of some model or another to be sold here IN THE USA. I think it was in South Carolina or something like that. It was on the news a few months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's because of the percentage of the product. For example when I delivering coal I could make far more on 5 tons of coal than I could on 5 tons of rock, the value of the product was a lot more for the same volume. Even when I was taking it to farther away places the price increased but as percentage of the total cost it wasn't that much, if it were rock I'd have to double the price....

Let's say it costs $2000 to ship either a car or 10,000 ipads. You're only adding 20 cents to the cost of the Ipad for shipping.
That's 20 cents per unit they could be applying towards doing "the right thing" and helping out the unemployment in the good ole US of A. They can afford to take a slight reduction in profits now, because the more folks who get back to work, the more folks that will have money in the future, and will spend money on a nice shiny new iPad(insert applicable version number here) for themselves and or their kids/relatives/spouses/dogs/etc.

Also unions should probably realize the same thing. Either you make a couple bucks less, or you're going to be out of a job, OR the government will bail out your company because it's "too big to fail" you'll keep milking that for a little while until the house of cards falls down and you wind up back in school learning to speak Chineese so that you can go back to work in your factory for $0.75 an hour.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 PM

12,671 posts, read 12,936,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Tech Solutions View Post
Foreign car makers can figure out how to make a profit by building their products in America, maybe the fat cats at Apple can take a couple percentage points off of their salaries to show a little love for America.
The same automobile manufacturers have US automobile parts and motors made in China. In fact, my boss bought a top of the line Ram truck that has a motor made in China. The truck was assembled in Mexico. Even Japan and Europe are having products manufactured in China. Not only that, but now that China is bailing-out the EU, they too will be owned by China just like the US is.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ng-europe.html

Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 AM

302 posts, read 377,390 times
So what the Asus TF201 transformer with a Quad Core is superior to the IPAD...no loss there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets