Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times

Advertisements

Good to know... I just wonder if American Express will have those to sell. That is what I am using, accumilated points in one of my accounts. Since they no longer have an affiliation with my normal carrier, there is not much that I can do that I think worthwile, so that is why I thought about getting an iPad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
If AmEx doesn't offer the tablet you want directly, you may be able to turn your points into gift cards at a store that does sell it.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
It looks like an iPad then. Someone mentioned the company support, and yes, my company will support the Citrix connection from my Ipad. In fact, I asked about Android support, and I was told by the IT manager that they currently don't, and have no plans to soon, but at the same time acknowledged that the Android devices are becoming so popular, they may have to down the road. Since my company supplies us with iPhones already, they will extend the support to the iPad. Unfortunately, the company will not provide "free" iPads as they do with the iPhones.
If you have an iPhone, than an iPad would make sense as you are already familiar with iOS. Otherwise, I would say to go for an Android, or perhaps Windows-based device as both are way more user-friendly than an iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As somebody mentioned above, wait for the iPad 3. It should be on the market sometime in March. I believe that it will have G4 plus Wi-Fi, or just Wi-Fi depending on which one you want. Also, it's rumored that it will have a new screen design like the iPhone 4GS (retina display or whatever it's called).

Apple usually keeps the price the same for new models as the ones being replaced, so an iPad 3 should cost the same as an iPad 2.
When Jobs was at the helm, it was easy to predict which of the rumors would be true and which where just a list of items coming from people who knew too little about Jobs/Apple to make any worthwhile predictions and/or those noobs who just wanted a "wishlist". For example; Jobs would never have approved of a 7" iPad....or an iPad with USB, card-reader, etc. Anyone who understood how Jobs thought could easily see that. Heck, it is plan as day to anyone who was/is a long-time user of Apple products. Apple/Jobs just didn't do certain things.

But, times are changing and I suspect that Apple will start to bend to "market demand" a little bit more than Jobs ever would have.

Anyhow, the iPad will have the Retina Display. Aside from perhaps a slightly faster chip, that might be the only change and the iPad 2s screen is nice as it is so it might be a good deal if the OP can get an iPad 2 through Amex now...

March 7th is the expected iPad 3 announcement date....which means the iPad 3 could begin to roll out anywhere from one to three months afterwards (although the "official" rumored release date is March 29). But, Apple is currently in disagreement with one of their Chinese manufactures over releasing the iPad brand to the U.S. (I believe this company wants $1.6 Billion from Apple in order to "release" their product withe the iPad name). So who knows when it will actually get released. At least that is the word around the water cooler...

Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If you have an iPhone, than an iPad would make sense as you are already familiar with iOS. Otherwise, I would say to go for an Android, or perhaps Windows-based device as both are way more user-friendly than an iPad.

When Jobs was at the helm, it was easy to predict which of the rumors would be true and which where just a list of items coming from people who knew too little about Jobs/Apple to make any worthwhile predictions and/or those noobs who just wanted a "wishlist". For example; Jobs would never have approved of a 7" iPad....or an iPad with USB, card-reader, etc. Anyone who understood how Jobs thought could easily see that. Heck, it is plan as day to anyone who was/is a long-time user of Apple products. Apple/Jobs just didn't do certain things.

But, times are changing and I suspect that Apple will start to bend to "market demand" a little bit more than Jobs ever would have.

Anyhow, the iPad will have the Retina Display. Aside from perhaps a slightly faster chip, that might be the only change and the iPad 2s screen is nice as it is so it might be a good deal if the OP can get an iPad 2 through Amex now...

March 7th is the expected iPad 3 announcement date....which means the iPad 3 could begin to roll out anywhere from one to three months afterwards (although the "official" rumored release date is March 29). But, Apple is currently in disagreement with one of their Chinese manufactures over releasing the iPad brand to the U.S. (I believe this company wants $1.6 Billion from Apple in order to "release" their product withe the iPad name). So who knows when it will actually get released. At least that is the word around the water cooler...
According to rumors, the iPad will also incorporate 4G.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Based on the two posts above, it seems like it will be the iPad 2S.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I am so sick of the predictions and rumors...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am so sick of the predictions and rumors...
The rumors are from websites and magazines. Some magazine names end on "...rumors."

Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The rumors are from websites and magazines. Some magazine names end on "...rumors."
Mac Rumors: Apple Mac iOS Rumors and News You Care About

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
If the iPad 3 doesn't have a slot for micro sdhc cards then I'm getting an Asus Android tablet. But I wonder why I need a tablet at all. For pdf or ebooks? - I'd rather read those on a bigger desktop or laptop computer. And my pdf book collection is maybe 100 GBs!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If the iPad 3 doesn't have a slot for micro sdhc cards then I'm getting an Asus Android tablet. But I wonder why I need a tablet at all. For pdf or ebooks? - I'd rather read those on a bigger desktop or laptop computer. And my pdf book collection is maybe 100 GBs!
I don't think that the new iPad will have card slots. But at least there are some Wi-Fi cards you can use with it. The only problem is that the card dock is connected to a computer, not to the iPad. The dock accepts flash cards up to 32GB.

A laptop would be better for you if you have so many books for reading. Were tablets are convenient is when you don't want to log around a laptop. For example, when traveling. However, some of the tablets work with 3G and soon 4G service in addition to Wi-Fi, but this feature is useful when there isn't a Wi-Fi hotspot nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets