U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM

2,693 posts, read 2,202,048 times
Question Ipad Help??

Planning on getting an Ipad for my 4 year old who has CP & vision problems, & 9 year old who is dyslexic. Can someone tell me about them please? Do I have to have wireless for them? Can I download apps to my PC them put them on the Ipad? It will be mainly used for the boys, so not really interested in surfing the net on it. Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,557,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Planning on getting an Ipad for my 4 year old who has CP & vision problems, & 9 year old who is dyslexic. Can someone tell me about them please? Do I have to have wireless for them? Can I download apps to my PC them put them on the Ipad? It will be mainly used for the boys, so not really interested in surfing the net on it. Any help would be great!
I recommend you not buy them an Ipad and get them something less expensive and more conventional like a small laptop. I'm not convinced a four year old would benefit from either anyway.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 PM

8,958 posts, read 7,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I recommend you not buy them an Ipad and get them something less expensive and more conventional like a small laptop. I'm not convinced a four year old would benefit from either anyway.
I agree 1,000%. Get the kids some kids books that teach them to read and count for now.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM

4,297 posts, read 3,731,820 times
If you post this in the Computer subforum you might get more replies.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM

5,719 posts, read 5,605,139 times
To actually answer your questions:
  • You don't NEED wireless but you cannot buy an iPad without it so why NOT use it
  • You can download apps through iTunes on your PC and install (synch) them on the iPad

Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 7,069,369 times
Quote:
Yes, you can download apps from itunes on your PC and sync them to the iPad without worrying about internet connections.

Note though that the iPad comes with wireless so if you have wireless at home for your pc, the iPad will be able to use that. Also if you happen to be at some place that has a wireless connection (like Barnes and Noble), the wireless connection will work on the Ipad.

Btw, the Ipad is absolutely fantastic for special needs kids. There are a ton of great apps.

We don't surf the net on ours, but our speech therapist and occupational therapist use it with my autistic grandson.

Send a direct message if you want more information about how we use ours.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I agree 1,000%. Get the kids some kids books that teach them to read and count for now.
You have no idea what you are talking about. The OP is talking about children with special needs. The Ipad is fantastic for this.

Reading books is fine, but for a child with vision problems, the iPad works well because you can change the font size. You can read books on the Ipad and it is much more kid friendly.

Not only that, but there are apps that help with fine motor skills, with conversation and communication, etc. The Ipad is NOT electronic games though you can dl and play those. It is not a computer, though you *can* surf the net if you have a connection. It is a great tool for teaching kids, especially kids with LDs or autism.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM

15,065 posts, read 8,706,648 times
KsStorm, have you considered at all getting toys that are specifically designed for special needs children?

Toys for Special Needs Children

Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Here's a good article about using the iPad with low vision children

iPads May Help Kids with Severe Vision Impairments | Cortical Visual Impairment | TechNewsDaily.com

Quote:
The iPad has the potential to increase communication skills in kids living with severe vision problems and become a "life-changing therapy" tool, according to research conducted at the University of Kansas.

New findings reveal that Apple's best selling tablet device may have the ability to improve cortical visual impairment, a severe neurological disorder resulting from brain damage that prevents children from interpreting visual information.

Muriel Saunders, assistant research professor at the University of Kansas's Life Span Institute, was conducting a study about how children respond to adaptive switches – a tool that teaches kids with disabilities cause and effect skills needed for early language development – when her assistant asked to use an iPad to gauge interaction.

"We gave 15 toddlers between the ages of three and four with cortical visual impairment an iPad to play with and were completely shocked with the results," Saunders told TechNewsDaily. "Children with the disorder don’t usually look directly at people and objects, but they were completely drawn to the light of the iPad and could interact with objects on the screen."

Children with cortical visual impairment often work with therapists and parents using a light box – similar to the light box a doctor use to see an X-ray – so they have an easier time seeing lights and objects in high contrast.
Here is a link to the app mentioned

Baby Finger HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Apps for dyslexia

Learning and Teaching with iPads: Apps for Dyslexia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets