Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,741 times

Advertisements

Current generation of tablets are all garbage... I bought an Android tablet for use while traveling and there are just so many things I CANNOT do with it that it's just collecting dust now and I need to buy another Netbook. I used to have a Asus Netbook for my travels and it was perfect.

Problems with tablets (iPad included):

- Web content is too restricted (Hulu etc.) does not load even on Android, the iPad is worse with no Flash support...love it or hate it Flash is REQUIRED, I have not been able to see presentations on the Wall St. Journal using an iPad.

- The battery life is pathetic for a tablet, the only decent battery life is with the iPad (10 hrs), the rest are garbage, there are full Netbooks with 10 hr batt life.

- Lack of ports: USB is necessary on the road if someone says "Hey, I have the pics of our hike this morning on my flash drive, do you want it".. WTF do you do? Hit yourself on the head for paying big bucks for a crap device that doesn't have any ports?

- Poor support for tasks like document editing which may be required

- Very poor Printer support, well Apple has airPrint or whatever which is a joke and does not work with non-AirPrint...rubbish solution.

- Android version of Chrome is missing many features of the full blown Chrome for Windows

- Android app/memory management is suspect (I have had times where multiple instances hog memory and the memory manager does not clean background apps when more memory is needed, I have to force kill them...on some platforms like Google TV force killing is not even available which absolutely sucks!) and the whole platform is so fragmented it is silly, apps are versioned based on hardware and software meaning App X for Honeycomb may work on Tablet A but may not be available for Tablet B even if they have the hardware feature set necessary for the application. It's absolutely stupid.

People will keep buying iPads in droves even though it is one of Apple's substandard products because of Apple's marketing genius and hype.

Edit - This offering by Microsoft does have some promise, we wills ee

Last edited by ducviloxi; 06-21-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 02:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Bascaily wife and i will wait and see. She does love the idea of key board with no need to add on..Also if it has USB port that will mean alot.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
MS is a SW company and their previous attempts at HW (Zune, Xbox) have been huge failures (Xbox failure in that it's never made any real money).

xbox is the #1 selling console in the world; its been turning a profit for them for quite awhile now. although not at first, but that was by design.

they're making millions in the entertainment division; xbox live and the royalties are bringing in the money, not the console, but they are turning a profit on the hardware now.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How much is "a lot"?
I paid $60 for a case. I don't have a keyboard because last time I checked it was way more expensive than I was willing to pay. Note: I'm talking about Apples keyboard. I didn't check to see if other keyboards would work. Combine cost was far in excess of $100 which, to me, is a lot.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post

Problems with tablets (iPad included):

- Web content is too restricted (Hulu etc.) does not load even on Android, the iPad is worse with no Flash support...love it or hate it Flash is REQUIRED, I have not been able to see presentations on the Wall St. Journal using an iPad.
Disagree. I haven't seen a Flash site in a month at least. Not even close to a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
- The battery life is pathetic for a tablet, the only decent battery life is with the iPad (10 hrs), the rest are garbage, there are full Netbooks with 10 hr batt life.
Never saw a Netbook with a 10 hour battery life.
10 hours is plenty for a tablet. The Asus Transformer with the Keyboard attachment gives you 15 hours.
You need more then 10 hours before you plug in? Flying to Istanbul?

Quote:
- Lack of ports: USB is necessary on the road if someone says "Hey, I have the pics of our hike this morning on my flash drive, do you want it".. WTF do you do? Hit yourself on the head for paying big bucks for a crap device that doesn't have any ports?
I shop around. This is why I like Android: Choice. There are at least 4 tablets out there with full size USB ports including the well reviewed Toshiba Thrive.

Quote:
- Poor support for tasks like document editing which may be required
There's an app for that.

Quote:
- Very poor Printer support, well Apple has airPrint or whatever which is a joke and does not work with non-AirPrint...rubbish solution.
And that. I use an app that works with Google Cloud Print. It's super cool. I can print to my printer from the living room or... from Istanbul.

Quote:
- Android version of Chrome is missing many features of the full blown Chrome for Windows
I don't use Chrome on my phone.

Quote:
- Android app/memory management is suspect (I have had times where multiple instances hog memory and the memory manager does not clean background apps when more memory is needed, I have to force kill them...on some platforms like Google TV force killing is not even available which absolutely sucks!) and the whole platform is so fragmented it is silly, apps are versioned based on hardware and software meaning App X for Honeycomb may work on Tablet A but may not be available for Tablet B even if they have the hardware feature set necessary for the application. It's absolutely stupid.
I don't have memory issues. On my phone anyway.
Totally agree about Fragmentation. One of my favorite apps won't work on my phone because it only works on ICS.

Quote:
People will keep buying iPads in droves even though it is one of Apple's substandard products because of Apple's marketing genius and hype.
Agree.

My main point is: different strokes for different folks. A tablet almost replaces everything I need.
I just hooked my boss up with a 4G iPad. He can access our network. Pull documents from our network. Edit them. Email them. He hasn't taken his laptop home since he got the iPad.
It will NOT allow you to edit and save directly BACK to the network - the only limitation.

I am sure this Windows tablet will join domains which is a big step. But I am really anti-Surface at the moment.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am sure this Windows tablet will join domains which is a big step. But I am really anti-Surface at the moment.
The great thing about that is that there will be plenty of other vendors with Win8 tablets. Surface is just another piece of hardware.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Clarification: Anti-Windows8 everything.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
xbox is the #1 selling console in the world; its been turning a profit for them for quite awhile now. although not at first, but that was by design.

they're making millions in the entertainment division; xbox live and the royalties are bringing in the money, not the console, but they are turning a profit on the hardware now.
not what I've read, can you point me to an article that says this?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It does if you want me to buy one... And I'll wager the number of people with my attitude is far greater than your example. A man said to me (when I was starting out in sales), "Do you want to sell a thousand items and make a profit of one dollar on each or try to make 5 dollars on each and only sell twenty?"

One of the smartest men I've ever known.

How many iPad sales have been lost for want of a simple usb port?

Stupid decision no matter what logic you try to apply to it.
Lol, sorry I every mentioned the usb thing...I don't want this thread to turn into that. The point is so what if a small segment of consumers kick and scream for a usb port, the point is Apple doesn't care about that and is fine with those consumers never buying Apple. It's actually a very good strategy. Why pour all resources into making everyone happy when you can make 90% of the consumers very happy and let the other 10% do something else.

I'm surprised (actually not) at the people who some how believe the surface is going to be some game changer. Really? Other than wishful thinking what hard core proof do you have that support this? There are all sorts of stats on record unit sales for the ipad/iphone. Oh and I am NOT an Apple person, I make most of my living with MS and IBM, however on the consumer side MS needs to do way way more and something radical. Putting out an "also ran" product aint going to do it.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
The Surface looks like a tablet I would seriously consider buying (the W8 Pro version). Others are too gimped to be useful and would just result in lugging around two devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
not what I've read, can you point me to an article that says this?
Did you stop reading in 2007?

Microsoft's Xbox Division Posts $524M Profit - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Microsoft profits climb as Xbox, Office trump PC slump - GeekWire

The hardware itself may be making a profit know, due to decreased manufacturing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets