U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 PM

18,958 posts, read 21,391,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Lol, sorry I every mentioned the usb thing...I don't want this thread to turn into that. The point is so what if a small segment of consumers kick and scream for a usb port, the point is Apple doesn't care about that and is fine with those consumers never buying Apple. It's actually a very good strategy. Why pour all resources into making everyone happy when you can make 90% of the consumers very happy and let the other 10% do something else.

I'm surprised (actually not) at the people who some how believe the surface is going to be some game changer. Really? Other than wishful thinking what hard core proof do you have that support this? There are all sorts of stats on record unit sales for the ipad/iphone. Oh and I am NOT an Apple person, I make most of my living with MS and IBM, however on the consumer side MS needs to do way way more and something radical. Putting out an "also ran" product aint going to do it.
1. I never said the Surface was going to be a game changer. Please read my posts before responding.

Quote:
Why pour all resources into making everyone happy when you can make 90% of the consumers very happy and let the other 10% do something else
Pour all resources? Into a usb port? I don't recall the iPad being created before the usb port became a standard. Losing 10% (your estimate) of sales for lack of a standard port? Not a good strategy. More like a money (and customer base) loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 AM

5,718 posts, read 5,582,190 times
Quote:
I'm surprised (actually not) at the people who some how believe the surface is going to be some game changer. Really? Other than wishful thinking what hard core proof do you have that support this?
Not really JUST the tablet, but the Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone and Surface combined?
Microsoft has 90% of the Desktop market at least.
If that doesn't change going forward with Windows 8, and 5 years from now everyone has Windows 8/9/10??
Anyone on a Windows # computer is going to look at a Windows # tablet before anything else.
Not a bad strategy from MS's POV... I think it's terrible. They are going to drag you into that ecosystem whether you like it or not...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not really JUST the tablet, but the Windows 8, Windows 8 Phone and Surface combined?
Microsoft has 90% of the Desktop market at least.
If that doesn't change going forward with Windows 8, and 5 years from now everyone has Windows 8/9/10??
Anyone on a Windows # computer is going to look at a Windows # tablet before anything else.
Not a bad strategy from MS's POV... I think it's terrible. They are going to drag you into that ecosystem whether you like it or not...
I'm not sure I agree with this. Perhaps most people are more lemming-ish than I think, but I wouldn't buy a phone or tablet just because it has the same OS as my computer. If my needs were different, or I was still working and wanted/needed more connectivity between, them I might change my mind.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Perhaps most people are more lemming-ish than I think, but I wouldn't buy a phone or tablet just because it has the same OS as my computer. If my needs were different, or I was still working and wanted/needed more connectivity between, them I might change my mind.
I don't think it's even Lemingish. lemminglike....
?

If you've been using Windows PC's for 10 years and you are in the market for a tablet: you going to get an iPad with a learning curve or a Microsoft tablet that runs just like your PC does?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM

I've been using Windows since Day One and I wouldn't make a decision on a tablet based on OS alone. I might find an iPad with a usb port more to my liking. You just never know...

Old 06-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,226 posts, read 4,487,608 times
Quote:
I don't think it's even Lemingish. lemminglike....
?

If you've been using Windows PC's for 10 years and you are in the market for a tablet: you going to get an iPad with a learning curve or a Microsoft tablet that runs just like your PC does?
I can tell you as someone who makes their living with Microsoft Technologies (and it's not going anywhere any time soon), I would never buy something like a phone or tablet, simply because it is running Windows - that may have been true say 10+ years ago but not the 4 years or so since the ipad hit the scene and the last 5 years since the iphone came out. As was the case with soooo many market leaders or those who were there first it was there's to lose. I had a Win Mobile phone loyally for years and then MS dragged there feet and I dumped it because the brand alone was no longer compelling enough. I have an ipad now after having several android tablets, which I liked, however the ipad is superior in that it does so many things right vs the handful of things that it doesn't have (i.e. usb).

The desktop PC has declined for the last few years while mobile devices have sky rocketed. MS margin on the OS itself is no where near the margins Apple makes. Apple is very happy to let MS get it's $15-$30 per PC (which is good money) and let Dell, HP, et al duke it out in a razor thin PC market. I think an iphone cost less than a $100 to manufacturer and sells for around $399-$499...pretty good margins and why their market cap is well above MS.

Incidentally I think that is the prevailing thought by MS mgmt, "we're MS so they will come"....it's the same mantra Blackberry has and it's totally wrong.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Preface: I hope I am wrong and you guys are right. I really do.

Quote:
I can tell you as someone who makes their living with Microsoft Technologies (and it's not going anywhere any time soon),
I technically do as well, my friend

Quote:
I would never buy something like a phone or tablet, simply because it is running Windows -
Yea, you might not. I am not referring to the "techier" folks but Joe Average Consumer.

Quote:
I had a Win Mobile phone loyally for years and then MS dragged there feet and I dumped it because the brand alone was no longer compelling enough.
Me too. I dumped BB for Winmoby.

Quote:
Incidentally I think that is the prevailing thought by MS mgmt, "we're MS so they will come"....it's the same mantra Blackberry has and it's totally wrong.
And I agree... but I think this time... finally... it might just work.
Not that "It's MS so we will come"... it's "my Office is Windows8, my home PC is Windows8, I want a tablet... o look Windows8... and a phone too...."
The sheep will follow.

Me? I might have to finally buy a MAC.
hahahahaha

j/k

Last edited by Peregrine; 06-27-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,226 posts, read 4,487,608 times
Quote:
I technically do as well, my friend

Yea, you might not. I am not referring to the "techier" folks but Joe Average Consumer.

Me too. I dumped BB for Winmoby.

And I agree... but I think this time... finally... it might just work.
Not that "It's MS so we will come"... it's "my Office is Windows8, my home PC is Windows8, I want a tablet... o look Windows8... and a phone too...."
The sheep will follow.

Me? I might have to finally buy a MAC.
hahahahaha

j/k
Well I *like* MS, and think if they got their act to together they could maybe compete. But Apple is sooo far ahead that I don't know if even MS and it's resources can compete. Apple would have to make a misstep...

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Well I *like* MS, and think if they got their act to together they could maybe compete. But Apple is sooo far ahead that I don't know if even MS and it's resources can compete. Apple would have to make a misstep...
I loved them Mike. Loved. But they broke my heart.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,860,317 times
I will buy a Surface Pro tablet due to the x86 architecture; this will be in lieu of my next laptop though. Forget the ARM based Surface RT, vaporware.

Last edited by Danknee; 06-28-2012 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets