U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 22 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,374 posts, read 4,685,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The Surface looks like a tablet I would seriously consider buying (the W8 Pro version). Others are too gimped to be useful and would just result in lugging around two devices.
Did you stop reading in 2007?

Microsoft's Xbox Division Posts $524M Profit - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Microsoft profits climb as Xbox, Office trump PC slump - GeekWire

The hardware itself may be making a profit know, due to decreased manufacturing costs.
thanks for the links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 AM

3,999 posts, read 5,237,588 times
It's more of a stripped down netbook than a rival tablet. If is succeeds it'll be because it has the functionality of a netbook in an even smaller package. Tablets are really about content consumption (apps, books, video) and only minor content creation (writing short email or taking notes in a meeting). When I travel I take both my laptop and tablet because they do different things, or at least different things well. The danger with the Surface is that it may do neither well. Time will tell.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM

6,108 posts, read 6,190,382 times
Eh, you can create real documents on an iPad, too.
I just hooked my boss up with an iPad and he hasn't taken his laptop home since he got it.
I got apps on it to access our office network, and Quick Office for creating REAL Word documents. It isn't the most advanced Doc editor... it won't do a TOC or let you embed a Spreadsheet into it or many other things. But for simple legal briefs and documents it is more then sufficient with the BT Keyboard I got with it.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM

409 posts, read 201,134 times
I could hardly wait for its showing, the iPad simply hijackes it's users, often we can't even finish very basic steps. Whe Surface surfaces, I will get rid of iPad, to get a Surface.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:01 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,167,055 times
Why will it succeed? Well, no one knows that it will but for enterprise usage I bet it will take off. High level folks around here are champing at the bit to use a tablet for stuff but iPad doesn't meet our encryption standards.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM

o just do it bs13690.
It's certainly safe enough for your email and calendering...

Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM

21,168 posts, read 16,779,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
What 'facts' do you dispute? Do you have sales numbers, profit margins, etc. for the early Microsoft tablet to share? If not, I think I'll go with Bill Gates own words:

"In 2002, Microsoft founder Bill Gates said these early tablet ventures were "almost painful to recall,""

From: Microsoft's long and tortured history in tablets - Yahoo! Finance
You've quoted Bill Gates from 2002 referring to tablets of the 90's. The windows XP, vista, and 7 tablets are a great success in hospitals across the world. Look at the sales of the X2xx series between 2009 and 2012. They've skyrocketed in the healthcare field. They just didn't make it out to the consumers.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,167,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
o just do it bs13690.
It's certainly safe enough for your email and calendering...
I'm not sure what you mean by o just do it? Are you saying use an iPad?

I've heard that announcement that the Surface will be out in October and definitely plan to get one. Hopefully, I can get work to pay for it.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,301,632 times
Microsoft has been in the tablet OS game long before there was an Android or iOS.

Some examples:

From 2002: Pen Computing Magazine: ViewSonic ViewPad 1000
From 2005: Full-function webpad boasts 802.11g, runs Windows CE, XPe - News - Windows for Devices
From 2008: Atom-based tablet runs Windows XP Embedded - News - Windows for Devices

The problem has been they haven't put their heart into it the way Apple or Google has (either as a manufacturer or platform). Tablets, remember, weren't really big until Apple came out with its iPad in 2010.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by o just do it? Are you saying use an iPad?

I've heard that announcement that the Surface will be out in October and definitely plan to get one. Hopefully, I can get work to pay for it.
Yea, that's what I was saying.
I have an Android and Apple tablet here at work and people are being very productive with them. To NOT get one of those because of "our encryption" worries... you are missing out on a good tool. But hopefully you can get a Surface to meet your needs.

TVDXER: They put their heart into it. They wanted them to succeed. The problem was: MS had ZERO imagination. They tried to just create a tablet with the same OS they were using on computers with tiny icons and that damn START button. They tried to cram that same OS, complete with that START button, onto their phones.
Someone more forward thinking came along, Apple, and we know how that worked out.

Microsoft gets it now. Annoyingly too late, which is why I refuse to support them now with a tab or phone purchase. Done with MS everywhere except on my computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets