Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:36 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,312 times

Advertisements

I am not at all "up" with the latest e reader gadgets or Ipad which my friends are telling me to buy.

I love to read books on the train and sometimes the books are very heavy......so I'm considering purchasing one the devices that others rave about. My first priority is for it to be lightweight because I carry a lot in my purse as it is.
So I'm considering the Nook or Kindle or Ipad or any other suggestion someone here may offer. I say Ipad because I can also use it for internet access and other stuff I guess. I have a Dell laptop that i have taken with me on trips but it is a bit heavy so the Ipad may be a good option both for traveling and reading books? I'm confused and am trying to keep my life simple.....so I don't want to buy both a kindle AND and Ipad and I want to keep it lightweight. Some of my friends have the Ipad and they tell me they don't know how they managed without it...... so any suggestion is appreciated. thanks in advance, joanne

PS also want to mention that i borrow lots of books from the library.....is there an economical way to download books on a device? wl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
I am not at all "up" with the latest e reader gadgets or Ipad which my friends are telling me to buy.

I love to read books on the train and sometimes the books are very heavy......so I'm considering purchasing one the devices that others rave about. My first priority is for it to be lightweight because I carry a lot in my purse as it is.
So I'm considering the Nook or Kindle or Ipad or any other suggestion someone here may offer. I say Ipad because I can also use it for internet access and other stuff I guess. I have a Dell laptop that i have taken with me on trips but it is a bit heavy so the Ipad may be a good option both for traveling and reading books? I'm confused and am trying to keep my life simple.....so I don't want to buy both a kindle AND and Ipad and I want to keep it lightweight. Some of my friends have the Ipad and they tell me they don't know how they managed without it...... so any suggestion is appreciated. thanks in advance, joanne

PS also want to mention that i borrow lots of books from the library.....is there an economical way to download books on a device? wl
First lets clear a key point up........An ipad (or other tablet) are COMPUTERS that can read ebooks with the free apps installed.

black & white screen e-readers , nook, kindle etc are just that e-readers. My son works for Barnes & Noble and lent me his Nook to try. It's an ok reader as far as it goes. But buying books from B&N is a bit expensive. The Amazon kindle is by far the best ereader on the planet due not only to the device being so damn easy to use but Amazon makes 110% sure you've got more to read for cheap (or free!) than you could in a read in a lifetime!! THAT is, to me, is why recommend the Kindle.....Support!

I started out reading on an ipad 1 and still use it for computer stuff but when I read ,which is a LOT!, it's my Kindle Keyboard that is my best buddy!!!!!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I've been using an Ipad instead of a laptop for the last three months. I like the tablet for all the dandy things I can do with it. I have a fwe books loaded and several PDFs that make it really handy.

The e readers might be a bit limited, but are often a cheaper price. I would suggest an Ipad.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
First lets clear a key point up........An ipad (or other tablet) are COMPUTERS that can read ebooks with the free apps installed.

black & white screen e-readers , nook, kindle etc are just that e-readers. My son works for Barnes & Noble and lent me his Nook to try. It's an ok reader as far as it goes. But buying books from B&N is a bit expensive. The Amazon kindle is by far the best ereader on the planet due not only to the device being so damn easy to use but Amazon makes 110% sure you've got more to read for cheap (or free!) than you could in a read in a lifetime!! THAT is, to me, is why recommend the Kindle.....Support!

I started out reading on an ipad 1 and still use it for computer stuff but when I read ,which is a LOT!, it's my Kindle Keyboard that is my best buddy!!!!!
thanks for the response, appreciate it....how is the Kindle Keyboard different from Kindle and Kindle Fire?
I live overseas and will be ordering online so can not see these before purchasing.
Also concerned about battery life since i'll be traveling with it.....also want to be able to read when it's dark.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I've been using an Ipad instead of a laptop for the last three months. I like the tablet for all the dandy things I can do with it. I have a fwe books loaded and several PDFs that make it really handy.

The e readers might be a bit limited, but are often a cheaper price. I would suggest an Ipad.
thanks very much....i'm wondering if reading books on the ipad is as easy on the eyes as the kindle....do you know?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
thanks very much....i'm wondering if reading books on the ipad is as easy on the eyes as the kindle....do you know?
I don't know. I have no problem with the display in the iPad. I have read while in a moving car and wasn't bothersome like reading a physical book can be.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
I have a tablet with the Kindle app, and my wife has a Kindle (e-ink, not the Fire). For reading books the Kindle wins hands down.

The Kindle is viewable in direct sunlight, and I personally find it much less stressful on my eyes after staring at a computer screen all day.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
thanks for the response, appreciate it....how is the Kindle Keyboard different from Kindle and Kindle Fire?
I live overseas and will be ordering online so can not see these before purchasing.
Also concerned about battery life since i'll be traveling with it.....also want to be able to read when it's dark.
The name says it all Kindle Keyboard. All the other Amazon kindles use a touch screen.

There is one issue that buyers often overlook with all ereaders & tablets......battery replacement. On my Kindle Keyboard it's an easy job with a little bit of care so I do it myself. On every other e-device on the market battery replacement is a major pain in the wallet and impossible for the owner to do. Just wait until you see how Apple handles battery replacement for an ipad!!!!

How to Replace Your Kindle III Battery - YouTube

Apple - Batteries - Battery Replacement

Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM

thanks, Grandpa, can you email on your Kindle keyboard?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM

I have a bluetooth keyboard on my iPad. It is part of the case that I use to carry it. At least with an iPad you can also use a full sized bluetooth keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets