U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,970,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
?
Seriously? They'll replace your unit w/the same for $99, or you can use this very same internet to purchase a battery and screwdriver (if you need the latter). The three to five minutes of time are yours to supply...
FWIW, "google" shows plenty of folks willing to replace your battery for a mild $$ + supplies.
As I understand it from a call to Apple I would get "an" ipad back with no guarantee that it would be the same model I sent in.

Now some would see this as a cheap way to upgrade but I like what I have to much to bother about any upgrades for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Aside from some minor hardware changes, the only thing that you will notice is that with the newer IOS instead of getting major updates from syncing with your computer it will come to you wirelessly. Thus iTunes is basically a backup program now for items not purchased through their store. Otherwise items items you've paid for can be re-downloaded directly over the air at no charge. As to accessories, the only items that may or may fit will be the cases (many of the generic ones fit 1 & 2 but don't fit 3).

Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Aside from some minor hardware changes, the only thing that you will notice is that with the newer IOS instead of getting major updates from syncing with your computer it will come to you wirelessly. Thus iTunes is basically a backup program now for items not purchased through their store. Otherwise items items you've paid for can be re-downloaded directly over the air at no charge. As to accessories, the only items that may or may fit will be the cases (many of the generic ones fit 1 & 2 but don't fit 3).
Yes, I already get all my updates wirelessly. As to the cases......I have several for my ipad-1 for different uses along with some other equipment that doesn't work past ipad-2.

What folk's don't seem to understand is not only did apple try to kill the aftermarket repair they tried to kill the used market as well with a non-customer serviceable battery.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
What folk's don't seem to understand is not only did apple try to kill the aftermarket repair they tried to kill the used market as well with a non-customer serviceable battery.
They didn't have to try. They've done it since the first all-in-ones came out in the early 90's. The below computer required special tools just to open it up and once you got inside it was a nightmare to work on. Each generation that followed was worse than the previous. Each generation required different tools. And FWIW Android tablets and Windows ultrabooks are now doing the same thing. I purchased an Ultrabook last week and it has nearly the identical specs of a Mac Air down to the ports being in the same places. Like the Mac Air doing any upgrades/repairs are nearly impossible. But like the Mac Air it boots to its OS in a few seconds and can surf in under 30 seconds. But the best thing about it, it cost less than 1/3rd the price of a Mac Air.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM

882 posts, read 1,803,132 times
Quote:

No offense, but what am I? Now you're just being rude.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
....What folk's don't seem to understand is not only did apple try to kill the aftermarket repair they tried to kill the used market as well with a non-customer serviceable battery.
You think its just Apple? Nearly all the current tablets from all the other manufacturers have done the same thing. And we can take it a step further, go look at a laptop from the past two decades and try to get to the CMOS battery. Its extremely rare to find it to have a door, be under the memory, be under the full size battery or under the keyboard. That CMOS battery is not rechargable and once it dies your computer loses its settings, the date and the time each time you shut off the computer.

Then you say your old enough to remember..........

Well you've already forgotten when those rechargable batteries were soldered into electronic items. And we had to find new rechargable battaeries and solder them together in order to recreate a replacement battery and then solder them back onto the board.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
No offense, but what am I? Now you're just being rude.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM

882 posts, read 1,803,132 times
It's easier, cheaper, and faster to replace the battery in an iPad (3 or older) than to replace the battery of most light duty vehicles. If that's bothersome, well...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
It's easier, cheaper, and faster to replace the battery in an iPad (3 or older) than to replace the battery of most light duty vehicles. If that's bothersome, well...
I agree that it's cheaper since I now have a source for an ipad1 new battery priced at $29.95. The work may not be that hard for some but my vision ain't what it used to be. Damn!!

I'll keep at it and may luck onto a shop that will do the work for less than $100. Oh well..........

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times
Quote:
I own a refurb Ipad 1 that I bought from apple two years ago. Love the darn thing so I want to keep the one that I have now. I know that in order to get the battery replaced I'm supposed to send it back to Apple along with $99 for the work. Thing is Apple will not send my Ipad back instead they will send a refurb that more than likely will not be an ipad 1.

I don't like the newer Ipads since they have features I don't like or want to deal with. I know I'm being a fuddy duddy but I just want to get a new battery installed in mine and let it go at that.

So is it possible to just get a new battery installed and who does that work today???

HELP!!!!
Grandpa Pipes: Let me reassure you (and I know you know this as well) that Apple's refurb program is fantastic! And no, I'm not an "Apple" person, but I have been thrilled with their refurb and replacement program. I understand where you are coming from. Simply replacing a battery in an electronic device should be as simple as replacing a battery in your clock or radio. I grew up in that era, so I understand what you're talking about.

At the same time, I look at it like this. WHAT if the batteries in the iPads were serviceable by the consumer, but let's say the batteries lasted maybe a year and you have to replace the batteries on an annual basis for $30. OK, I DO know the iPads seem to have a pretty long shelf life - for instance, I have an ipod third generation (I think it's third, might be second generation) given to me by my wife last year, and she has never had to send it off to replace the battery, and I haven't yet either. But in this scenario, we're replacing the battery for $30 each year you have it. Let's say you've had it for 4 years, that's $120. Let's also say within the four years, you've scuffed up the face plate pretty good, got a few chips in the case....you can't replace that (at least not easily.)

With Apple, you essentially get a brand new iPad (because again, their refurb program is so great and thorough) for $99. I don't know how long you have had your iPad, but I suspect it's been more than a year, right? That's still fairly inexpensive, and if they give you a newer generation iPad, that's actually great! Believe me, I think once you figure up how much the battery would cost you, how much you'd have to pay someone else to replace the battery for you, then it would have been much easier just sending it off to apple. After all, as long as you're backing you stuff up to the cloud or on another computer, you're not going to lose any of your data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or