U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,970,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Grandpa Pipes: Let me reassure you (and I know you know this as well) that Apple's refurb program is fantastic! And no, I'm not an "Apple" person, but I have been thrilled with their refurb and replacement program. I understand where you are coming from. Simply replacing a battery in an electronic device should be as simple as replacing a battery in your clock or radio. I grew up in that era, so I understand what you're talking about.

At the same time, I look at it like this. WHAT if the batteries in the iPads were serviceable by the consumer, but let's say the batteries lasted maybe a year and you have to replace the batteries on an annual basis for $30. OK, I DO know the iPads seem to have a pretty long shelf life - for instance, I have an ipod third generation (I think it's third, might be second generation) given to me by my wife last year, and she has never had to send it off to replace the battery, and I haven't yet either. But in this scenario, we're replacing the battery for $30 each year you have it. Let's say you've had it for 4 years, that's $120. Let's also say within the four years, you've scuffed up the face plate pretty good, got a few chips in the case....you can't replace that (at least not easily.)

With Apple, you essentially get a brand new iPad (because again, their refurb program is so great and thorough) for $99. I don't know how long you have had your iPad, but I suspect it's been more than a year, right? That's still fairly inexpensive, and if they give you a newer generation iPad, that's actually great! Believe me, I think once you figure up how much the battery would cost you, how much you'd have to pay someone else to replace the battery for you, then it would have been much easier just sending it off to apple. After all, as long as you're backing you stuff up to the cloud or on another computer, you're not going to lose any of your data.
Backed up on itunes already for free. Yes, I'm well aware of Apples refurb program since I buy my Apple products there 100% of the time.

Thank you for a very nice post. The one thing that you ,and others here, have over looked is my investment in peripheral equipment and cases that only/fit work with ipad1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Well put.

Spend the $99 already! :P

How many cases can you possibly have? Because every other accessory will fit.
Did you buy a $100 iSkin case? I'm thinking not?!?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Backed up on itunes already for free. Yes, I'm well aware of Apples refurb program since I buy my Apple products there 100% of the time.

Thank you for a very nice post. The one thing that you ,and others here, have over looked is my investment in peripheral equipment and cases that only/fit work with ipad1.
What peripheral equipment and cases have you bought that only work with the first generation?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What peripheral equipment and cases have you bought that only work with the first generation?
I'm sorry but your post calls my judgment into question which may not have been your intent. Not nice, mate.

I know what I have and what will and will not work so I'll avoid spending more money that I don't need to for now thank you.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 AM

882 posts, read 1,803,132 times
Change the battery yet?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but your post calls my judgment into question which may not have been your intent. Not nice, mate.
Disagree.
No offense my man, but some of us know A LOT about these tablets.
And I know without doubt the ONLY accessories that will NOT work on an iPad1 versus 2 or 3 are cases.
I think that was a very valid question.
Not to mention the fact that we ask you "what accessories..." and you won't answer us...
We are just trying to help you. Don't get pissed off.
Several people have said "take the deal"
"No, it won't work with my stuff"
"What stuff"
"Just my stuff"
"Specifically"
"My stuff"

I mean come on man. Can you feel our frustration?
Every option you have has been laid out here.
Replace it yourself. Find someone that can. Or...
Take the deal. The very good deal.
Take the deal, man. Your iPad is EOL.

hehehehe

Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Change the battery yet?
Not time just yet.

Getting close though.

I figure about April or May I'll need to so something so I'm getting ready now.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM

DARN!! Sorry , this is a dupe...........

Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree.
No offense my man, but some of us know A LOT about these tablets.
And I know without doubt the ONLY accessories that will NOT work on an iPad1 versus 2 or 3 are cases.
I think that was a very valid question.
Not to mention the fact that we ask you "what accessories..." and you won't answer us...
We are just trying to help you. Don't get pissed off.
Several people have said "take the deal"
"No, it won't work with my stuff"
"What stuff"
"Just my stuff"
"Specifically"
"My stuff"

I mean come on man. Can you feel our frustration?
Every option you have has been laid out here.
Replace it yourself. Find someone that can. Or...
Take the deal. The very good deal.
Take the deal, man. Your iPad is EOL.

hehehehe
While the folk's here are offering help and opinions,and they are much appriciated to be sure, I have to do what's best for me.

One of the major sticking points is the case I use for it. It's a hand tooled leather portfolio that was a gift from one of our sons to me that has several custom features to make it easy for me to hold and use that is made form fitted to my ipad.

Remember, all I want to do is find a place to change out the battery and I think I may have done that with several Google searches.

Thanks to all.........

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times
Quote:
I was asking a simple question so I could be of better service to you, not trying to judge you. There was no hidden agenda in my post. I was merely trying to help. Good day sir and good luck with whatever you're doing to fix your iPad problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or