U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 AM

493 posts, read 1,023,844 times

Advertisements

There is also a Nexus 10, if you're drawn to a bigger screen. Yeah, it costs more than some other tablets, but as Peregrine explains, an android can have its benefits.

Have you been to Best Buy and similar places to get a feel for the larger tablets? I mean "really" get a feel -- hold them, feel the weight, see if some feel more "ergonomic" to you -- can you hold it in one hand, do the power/volume buttons feel in the right place, etc.

I'm not trying to sway you against a larger tablet, but it really helps to have an array of options set out in a store and go up and down the aisles playing with them. (If there's a MicroCenter near you, get there and start playing!)

You might also want to check out Woot.com, which has had some good deals on refurbished tablets at decent prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
The only thing I don't like about the Nexus is no memory card slot. The Asus and Acer tabs have them.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM

This is a really good one, speaking of Woot:

Tech.Woot

Old 02-11-2013, 07:15 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,162,361 times
Exclamation Kindle Fire are great for content, but...

I've had a Fire, 2nd generation, for about a year now. I bought it right after they were released and was very excited. I have been considering selling it and buying the Kindle Fire HD, but for one reason only: CONTENT.

I have several movies in the Cloud that I have purchased, as a Prime member I am able to stream dozens of TV programs and movies to my Kindle and my laptop, and books, books and more books.

I hate to lose all my content, other than books which will still be available on another device via a Kindle app. Especially, for an Amazon Prime member the content access and prices cannot be matched.

However, - (big pause) - if you want to handle documents, photos, email attachments to save, etc. you will find that you are swimming upstream in Amazon's world.

The previous posters are correct about the restrictive nature of Amazon's long arm across the tablet world. The offer an inexpensive good product with great resolution and audio, thousands of apps, books, movies, etc., but it all on their terms. So, I am keeping my Fire for my content and buying either the Samsung Tab or an iPad to fill in the many, many gaps I have on my Kindle.

I want my device to function in more ways than just an entertainment center and you have to work very hard to achieve that on the Kindle.

That said, it is a great tablet for anyone who wants to surf the web, read books or play games (not complex ones, mind you), but if you want it to function more fully, look at full androids - all of previously mentioned ones are really nice and versatile.

Just my 2 GBs!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 848 times
In my opinion the Kinlde Fire HD is a good device. I bought mine two months ago and feel it was the right choice. Android runs smooth on it (by the way I am developing a similar app for Android, like the one tha you can find on Google: "voip-sip-sdk/p_456". The thing I like about it is the impressive looking tablet screen and the auido quality is also great.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 AM

33,437 posts, read 21,023,386 times
I have a Kindle Fire and DH has the Galaxy. The major difference (for us) between the two is the galaxy has external storage capability.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM

12,627 posts, read 32,243,272 times
As long as the tablet has WiFi abilities. You can have all the storage you want. Just buy an external hard drive that's WiFi. audiO just got one for my FireHD

Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Kindle Fire HD Price drop alert.
Amazon lowered the price yesterday for the 8.9 incher to $269.
I'd still not get one.
Like Katie I do have a hard drive on my network, but that doesn't help me when I at work or on a place or at my mother in laws or or or...
Gotta' have that storage for me.
Plus I am just not a big fan of the "Amazon OS".

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM

40,553 posts, read 24,884,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The only thing I don't like about the Nexus is no memory card slot. The Asus and Acer tabs have them.
USB OTG Cables are cheap, and you can hook up the Nexus to thumb drives and more.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM

It's still not the same having something hanging off the thing as opposed to internal memory that is always available without having to attach anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or