U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM

239 posts, read 539,746 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've never owned a tablet before, so I don't know too much about them.
I'm looking to play games, read books mostly. Probably Twitter and FB also. I would love an Ipad, but they're ridiculously priced, imo

I have wi-fi at my house, where I would be using it mainly.

Would I have to buy another data plan through my cell carrier?

Also, which one do you guys recommend? I'm really leaning towards the Kindle right now

Thanks much for your input. I don't want to buy it and regret my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,428,442 times
I bought my first tablet about a month ago. I knew nothing about tablets and spent about a month looking at four of the 7" tablets that were in the $250 price range: Kindle, Nook, Google Nexus and Samsung Galaxy. I read all the specs and looked at lot of user reviews. All 4 looked good and all of them had many many positive reviews. It mostly came down to small features that each of them had. Cnet has good reviews of all the tablets.

I wanted it for wifi internet use, to use for travelling, and some book reading.

I ended up buying the Google Nexus 7 for $250 at Sams Club. I use gmail so I was ok with all the google programs on it. I would have liked a camera on the back (I think the Samsung has it) but the Nexus didn't have that. I really liked the GPS on the Nexus. I thought that google would be the best for adding updates to the operating system as they became available.

I've had it for a month now and I have been very happy with it. I found some Android forums and learned a lot about how to use the Nexus from those discussions.

I just took it on a 4 day weekend out of town (travelling light) and used it for web surfing and email at the hotel. It worked out great and was easy to travel with.

I think I would have been just about as happy with any of the four. A lot of people really like the Kindle and you will probably be happy with it.

Unless you get a 3G tablet, you will not need any sort of data plan for the tablet. You just connect to nearby wifi signals as you would with a laptop. I put off interest in a tablet for a long time because I thought you needed a data plan also. Once I found out that it was just like a laptop wifi connection I got more interested in getting a tablet.

Be sure to post back and let us know what you decide.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 AM

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
I've narrowed it down to the Kindle Fire HD or the Nexus 7. I'm still going to read reviews, comparisions etc. Cnet has been good, although it seems like they're partial to Ipads.

I'm going to keep reading up....thanks again

Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times
If you are deciding between the 2: Nexus > Kindle all day UNLESS you are HEAVILY into the Amazon eco-system.
The Nexus is a PURE Android device. The importance of this cannot be under stated.
It will have every bell and whistle, will get new updates before any tablet on the market, with little to no bloat installed by anyone else.
Amazon takes Android and buries it underneath their own custom made system that makes it practically unrecognizable as an Android device.
The Kindle line is good, but the Nexus line is superior.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM

update. After playing with Bro-in-Law's tablet looking at larger....Narrowed down to Acer Iconia Tab A210-10g16u and Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
Pere, you've really made me re-think the fire. I just keep reading such incredible reviews on the quality of sound and pic...also they offer free cloud storage, which is a big plus for me. but now I'm rethinking it based on your Android comment. Idk anything about Acer, but the specs on this tablet are pretty good, amazon reviews are good-great and the price is fantastic about $320

Anyone familiar or had Acer products?
Much thanks as usual for your input

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM

The 210 does have nice specs. It is a bit thick. Bought dad in law the 500. It's nice. Also check out the Asus TF300T.
Same specs but much more svelte for just a few dollars more.
I really do not dislike the Amazon devices, but there is really little to no reason to get that over a "real" Android device. One example: with the Acer/Asus/Galaxy you can install the Kindle app or the Nook app. 2 places to get books from with Android (3 if you count the Google Books app) . With Kindle you are not allowed to use the Nook, and vice versa or the Google market. With a true Android I can access the the Google store and the Amazon store. The Kindle also likes to serve ads to you. Not a huge deal but if you can get a tab and not have to deal with that.... For less money? Why not?
The Kindle does have a gorgeous screen but really... My Asus looks very nice too.
I don't think you would regret either purchase in the long wrong but I do believe you would be much happier with the REAL Android.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Been reading up on them. I guess its almost impossible to get Flash on the Fire. Its possible but you have to do a couple downloads and it doesn't always work. I'm leaning towards an Asus TF101...still researching tho

Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM

969 posts, read 2,542,746 times
I asked a similar question a couple months ago - went with the Kindle Fire without the 4G - very happy - great picture - great sound - and I love all the Amazon Instant video - AND it just dropped $30.00.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM

I've heard the picture quality of the Fire HD can't be beat...Thats the main reason I was considering that one. How is Netflix on it? Did you install flash on it? Thanks!!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Yea, and the ipad3 is a RETINA display while the ipad 2 is not. Total improvement, right?
I bet you couldn't tell the difference between them.

If you saw the screen on a Nexus, or my Asus or most tablets out there, you wouldn't be hung up on display quality.
They all look great.

Again, I KNOW you would be happy with an Amazon Tablet. They are great devices. You WON'T regret it.
But I still cannot recommend one over most other tablets.

I would not really recommend an Asus TF100 ONLY Because that model is disconnected now and will probably not get many more updates while the 300 and 700 will. I hate buying stuff that isn't in production anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or