Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A friend has a plan that they turn on a month at a time that is about $70. That will do us just fine. 3G/4G access is the key; speed is secondary.
Your friend must have a high end plan. The monthly data charge is like $30 from VZW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,772,199 times
Rather than pay Verizon the tethering fee, I use the Foxfi app. Most of my tethering while traveling is just reading the news on my tablet. Because I have an older unlimited data plan, I use my phone for streaming music while we drive. We have a Garmin GPS unit, so I don't use navigation apps on my phone or tablet. Plus, I like having the dedicated GPS sitting on the dash where we can both see it.

I do have an ipad v1 but I don't use it much anymore (I canceled the data plan for the 3G because the ipad now just sits on the stand by my bed). I had to stop updating the iOs because it was just slowing the tablet down and now a lot of the newer apps just don't work right and bomb back to the home screen. I pulled about 90% of the apps off of it, have done wipe and reloads etc etc, even took it in the the "genius" and they say it is working as well as it should. The Kindle Fire and the Google Nexxus are in the $200 range - if I have to replace those every 2 or 3 years because they are outdated, that is one thing. The $500 ipad is entirely another thing.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 PM

137 posts, read 100,417 times
Quote:
All the information is appreciated!!

Yeah, I'm going to stay with Android. Money isn't a big deal, but I refuse to over pay for something just because it's got a certain logo on it.
Smart!

I have a Google Nexus 7 Tablet. It's my second one and I have zero complaints. It's a great size, feels good in the hands, tucks easily in a bag, durable. I haven't needed to root it or mod it in any way. It does the things you need and is up and running minutes after taking it out of the box, especially if you already have a Google account. It's a third of the price of an of the apple stuff and works much better (you're not tied down like with apple). I also tried a Samsung Galaxy tablet, it was fine but the screen was too small for me. Good luck on your quest, you're already a step ahead, imo, for going with Android.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Rather than pay Verizon the tethering fee, I use the Foxfi app. Most of my tethering while traveling is just reading the news on my tablet. Because I have an older unlimited data plan, I use my phone for streaming music while we drive. We have a Garmin GPS unit, so I don't use navigation apps on my phone or tablet.
To update this - I now travel with a Verizon MiFi device, the FoxiFi app went through a number of changes that made it much less useful. I particularly like the MiFi (and the VPN) when staying in hotels - no more ridiculous charges for very unsecure, often very slow, hotel wireless.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,557,895 times
Quote:

And I find moving icons to different screens to be very easy.
Easier then on an iPad.
Sorry. As I always say I like all technology. But one pet peeve I've had with Apple since the beginning: the fact that you CANNOT put your icons exactly where you want. Do you REALLY need to lock that down Apple? Really? Since the very beginning?
Always have to be pushed up.
So I'd say without question Android is easier to arrange icons. You can put one in each corner. You can have JUST a row across the bottom.

$70 is WAY to much. You should be able to add your iPad to your existing VZW plan and enable data on a month by month basis for $20.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,574,362 times
We did buy the 10.1 Samsung and have been very happy. No data plan though. Using FoxFi, which I've not found to be difficult to use, PNW-type-gal.

And we just upgraded our phones to Samsung Note 4. Very nice phones and 4G. Can add an SD card and the battery is replaceable. Big fingers me likes the stylus. We knew our old phones were getting flaky, but didn't realize how bad they really were until we used the Samsung. The tether runs much faster, but I don't think we will be using it as much because of the screen size on the Note 4.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
We did buy the 10.1 Samsung and have been very happy. No data plan though. Using FoxFi, which I've not found to be difficult to use, PNW-type-gal.

And we just upgraded our phones to Samsung Note 4. Very nice phones and 4G. Can add an SD card and the battery is replaceable. Big fingers me likes the stylus. We knew our old phones were getting flaky, but didn't realize how bad they really were until we used the Samsung. The tether runs much faster, but I don't think we will be using it as much because of the screen size on the Note 4.
One of the reasons I stopped using FoxFi on my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) is how HOT the phone got while using it. Almost too hot to touch.

And I agree about the Note 4, but I have to laugh about how much the stylus and handwriting recognition reminds me of my old beloved Palm Pilot.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,574,362 times
I never noticed the "hot" on the old phone, but it ran really hot. I'll pay attention on this one, thanks.

Palm Pilot. You're right! Blast from the past.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:13 PM

20,269 posts, read 37,017,358 times
Quote:
All the information is appreciated!!

Yeah, I'm going to stay with Android. Money isn't a big deal, but I refuse to over pay for something just because it's got a certain logo on it. And why buy yet another OS to learn?

And we want to tether for travel. While one of us drives that other can check routes, gas stations, restaurants, etc.

And I don't want something that ties me to a particular company (Kindle, etc).
Just in case you haven't purchased a tablet:
Time for a tablet: Here's how they stack up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets