U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

And I'm laughing at the fact that I misspelled embarrassed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Just realized BestBuy doesn't sell the 3G\Data ones. Just wifi.
Did you get the Share Everything Data plan from VZW?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM

No we don't, but we're going to look into a plan that you can pay for a month at a time and only when needed. That would be ideal for our travels. We are also past our two year contract end so we can easily change it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM

And if anyone is wondering we will be staying with Verizon. Because of who Mrs. Tek used to work for we get a discount there.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,674,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And why buy yet another OS to learn?
FWIW there is no OS to learn in either Android or iPad. They are both icon based. I have an iPad and a Samsung Tab 2. I prefer the iPad because its not a resource hog and doesn't do updates on the fly. Thus the battery lasts much longer. The iPad does the most travelling while the Samsung stays home and is the remote for the Smart TV.

As per the 4G, its not universal from city to city. So many areas may be only 3G. And the way most cell phone companies are limiting data, you may get a bill that will exceed the $200 mark.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FWIW there is no OS to learn in either Android or iPad. They are both icon based. I have an iPad and a Samsung Tab 2. I prefer the iPad because its not a resource hog and doesn't do updates on the fly. Thus the battery lasts much longer. The iPad does the most travelling while the Samsung stays home and is the remote for the Smart TV.

As per the 4G, its not universal from city to city. So many areas may be only 3G. And the way most cell phone companies are limiting data, you may get a bill that will exceed the $200 mark.
A friend has a plan that they turn on a month at a time that is about $70. That will do us just fine. 3G/4G access is the key; speed is secondary. After all we're stuck in a car on the highway. How much of a hurry are going to be in?

Icon based?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Icon based?
All that is inside SETTINGS and not part of the normal Desktop screen. Once its been tweaked you'll nearly never ever go to those screens again. What you brought up is like using DOS to explain Win7. But when it comes to moving the Icons to different screens, its much easier to do it on iPad rather than an Android device. The only thing odd with this, is that I prefer my Samsung S3 celly over an iPhone where the reverse is true.

Quote:
3G/4G access is the key; speed is secondary.
3G is everywhere. Its problem is its speed sits between dialup and DSL. 4G is a little faster than DSL. Also the iPad has no flash so everything pops up quickly. Using WIFI I can sit them side-by-side and there is a noticeable differnce. it may be a few seconds under WIFI, but there is a difference. It turns into minutes when I've done it under 3G/4G.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Well I spend a lot of time "inside" where there are no icons.

And I find moving icons to different screens to be very easy.

Are you doing it right?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Well I spend a lot of time "inside" where there are no icons.

And I find moving icons to different screens to be very easy.

Are you doing it right?
These are not Laptops. There is no need to spend more a few minutes "inside" the settings. The settings in the android or the apple are 100% user friendly. There is no reason to make something sound more difficult than it actually is. If your query was about which brand to buy then you should have been more precise instead of acting like a novice. Both platforms for the common user require no OS eduation at all as its all in plain english. And BTW I don't need your assistance with icons and their movement.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,417,475 times
Yeah I agree with Peregrine and Pruznany: There's not really a learning curb to either the Android or the iPad OS. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and an Apple iPad v3: got them both pretty much at the same time (Christmas) and I didn't have to spend any extended time "inside" of the Samsung to get whatever settings I want. Both the Android and the iPad are pretty much locked down, with certainly the Android having maybe a bit more of an open source feel to it, but as the others said, they both pretty much work on the same concepts: icon based.

I'm not really an APPLE person myself, although I don't have a disdain for their products, I just think they're too expensive for the average Joe. At the same time, I LOVE my iPad and I use it, religiously, everyday. I can print from it, I can open documents, I can do pretty much whatever I need to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets