U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,593,270 times

Advertisements

I have been reading and reading and reading and I'm more confused than ever.

How on Earth does one figure out which tablet to buy? Those of you that have done so have my respect.

Our main use (or what we think it will be) is for travel. We want to use a plan (Verizon) that gives us 4G access for our tablet(s) so we have access while driving. Well, the passenger will. We are not ones to use a phone or other device while driving.

I'm not a fan of iAnything so the iPads are out. Cost is secondary, ease of use, features, connectivity are more important. I would like to be able to take a small printer with us and use the tablet with it. I am assuming a wireless printer is the ticket. Using the tablet in place of our Garmin would be nice simply because of the screen size. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Both our phones are Android with Verizon if that has a bearing.

So I did a quick narrow-down at Amazon and ended up with this short list:

Amazon.com: tablets - 4 Stars & Up / 16 GB & Up / 32 GB / Android / 8 to 10 Inches / Tablets / Computers & Accessories: Electronics

I then went to Verizon and narrowed the choice down to this one tablet:

Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 LTE full specs

And I noticed that the Verizon model isn't at Amazon.

If anyone has preferences or can tell me if I'm perhaps going about it the wrong way I'd appreciate it. It's a lot easier to find a computer than it is to find a tablet that's for sure!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,182,756 times
my top choice would be the iPad, but since you have a disdain for apple products, my second choice would be the MS Surface Pro. I think MS got it right by putting a full blown OS onto a tablet and jhope apple will release an iPad with full blown OSX.

The next tablet I would look at is a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Tablet.

I'm just not a big fan of the Android OS

Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Get the Note. Best Buy sells it. You can buy the Printer Share app and print with it to a Bluetooth printer.
Thank me later.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Can't believe Dinsdale recommended the Surface Pro. That's a bad recommendation in general, and specifically to what Tek asked. If you are going to spend $1200 on something (because if you buy one you must get the bigger one with the $130 keyboard attachment) there are better choices.

Tek: do not even feel remotely bad about having to ask this question. Totally understandable.
You are already in the Android world. The Note 100% fits yours needs.
Forgot to ask if you have the shared data plan.

Absolutely do not get a Kindle Fire HD. Can't even load Google Navigation without hacking it.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM

I just like the idea of a full blown OS in a tablet
Why would you want google navigation on a tablet unless you plan on tethering?

But my first choice is still the iPad...

Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Why would you want google navigation on a tablet unless you plan on tethering?
Because that is what the OP specifically asked about. Having a data plan and using navigation.
When we try to help people here we generally try to leave our own bias aside. Most of us anyway.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM

missed that part. my bad.

Still go with an iPad.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,665,909 times
My friend has a kindle Fire that I was able to use for a couple of days to see if I liked it, I didn't.

My wife purchased a new I-Pad last month and it simply blows away anything I've had an opportunity to use.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,040 times
I got an Android based Xoom tablet by Motorola last summer and really love it. I'm also on Verizon, and wish I'd gotten the tablet with 4G (mine is WiFi only). But I got it "refurbished" and it was very cheap ($250). I just saw the Xoom 2 for the same price (also refurbished, and it's Verizon 4G). I was really tempted, but I'm changing phones shortly and will get one with Hotspot and connect my Xoom to the net though my phone.

It seems almost a religious decision, i(anything) vs Win vs Android. I recommend that if you love and can afford Appletuff, stick with it, If not, go Android. It's a full operating system, but simple. It runs Google Map very quick and clean. By far the best Nav around!

And it should be pretty easy to find a portable printer that can connect to an Android device via WiFi or bluetooth.

Also, I just tossed my old but working find Garmin GPS as it's maps were too out of date and the map upgrade would cost as much as a new GPS, and half the cost of a full tablet. Forgettaboutit!

My recommendation? Shop Best Buy and Woot.com for a refurbished Android, at least 4.0, with at least 1Meg ROM and 16 meg internal RAM.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,593,270 times
All the information is appreciated!!

Yeah, I'm going to stay with Android. Money isn't a big deal, but I refuse to over pay for something just because it's got a certain logo on it. And why buy yet another OS to learn?

And we want to tether for travel. While one of us drives that other can check routes, gas stations, restaurants, etc.

And I don't want something that ties me to a particular company (Kindle, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets