U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times

Advertisements

I'm fine with that. They will continue to support today's devices and are going to have someone make the devices for them in the future.

"Barnes & Noble will continue to sell its existing inventory of Nook tablets (namely the Nook HD and Nook HD+) through the holiday season and will continue to offer "software upgrades and improvements to the digital bookstore service."

So until the end of the year? Cool.
and then: a Samsung Nook?

In any event with the price drop and the promise to support these devices I would brand the Nook a BUY for anyone that is on the fence between Nook/Kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,057,275 times
I think all of these devices are worth the money depending on what the user does with them.

My Nexus 7 is worth the money but it would be a lot better with a microSD slot.

There was no name brand with the screen specs of the Nexus 7 and a microSD slot at the time I bought it but I would not buy a device without a microSD slot now.

psik

Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,057,275 times
Barnes and Noble to Stop Nook Tablets due to Heavy Loss

Quote:
Barnes and Noble has announced that the company will soon stop the production of Nook tablets.
The book retailer launched the Nook tablets last year which were just designed as e-books along with media players.

"We want to move away from taking on all that risk ourselves," Barnes & Noble Chief Executive William Lynch told investors as reported by Reuters. "It was very capital intensive to build our own tablets."
The book retailer lost about £308 million ($475 million) on Nook products in the last fiscal year that ended on 27 April. These tablets were not selling and the company had to reduce the retail price eventually but even that did not help.
Barnes and Noble to Stop Nook Tablets due to Heavy Loss - International Digital Times UK

psik

Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM

536 posts, read 709,440 times
My mom kept telling me over and over she wanted a Nook. So I bought her a Nook, and then she's like what is this? This isn't a Kindle? I said you told me 15 times you wanted a Nook!!!!!!!! (She's not very tech savy). So anyway she ended up keeping it, and she likes it well enough. Or at least she says she does.

But yeah I have heard the rumors Nook is going the way of the buffalo as well.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 53,165 times
I wouldn't suggest buying the Nook because Barnes and Noble is actually cutting that portion of their business out. They will keep the Nook section, but they are cutting out the tablets. If you're mostly just about reading and the occasional Word Jumble, it's fine. But, you could just as easily get an Android tablet, and Voila!, you have a Nook app....

But wait because Nook will be dropping their prices very quickly..

Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM

734 posts, read 843,413 times
Don't buy a Nook. B&N no longer has chargers for them, so if you have one and your charger breaks, you are just SOL. They don't even have the chargers available in the physical stores anymore, either. They are doing this because they want us Nook users to go out and buy a brand new Galaxy Tab Nook. When my charger breaks, I will not go with a B&N product because they treat their customers like crap. This is the only product I have ever owned where you could not use a universal charger with it. I wish I had known. I would have gone with something else instead.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:49 AM

The new Samsung Nooks don't use a proprietary charger, Bored Chick.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK® 7 Inch Tablet - Barnes*&*Noble

Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM

734 posts, read 843,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The new Samsung Nooks don't use a proprietary charger, Bored Chick.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK® 7 Inch Tablet - Barnes*&*Noble
That's exactly what they want us to do, spend more money on a new Nook. Why should I have to buy a new tablet if the charger breaks on my old one? If my Nook HD still works, that is just a waste of money. I should just be able to go online or to a B&N and buy a replacement!! B&N really sucks for doing this. Everyone can't afford to buy a new tablet every time they decide to come with something new and abandon their other products. They won't get my money a second time. When I have to buy a new tablet, I will just download the Nook app and download free books or just use the Kindle app instead. Screw Barnes & Noble.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:56 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I should just be able to go online or to a B&N and buy a replacement!!
They're available all over the place. Maybe not at B&N, but they'd be the most expensive option anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nook+hd+charger

Old 12-29-2014, 12:16 PM

I was only replying to your post to "not buy a Nook, because they don't make chargers!".
(PS, you replied to a thread that was more then a year old...)

Well if you bought a Nook today, not only do they make chargers but they now use the chargers that all our phones use, too. A welcome change.

Quote:
They're available all over the place. Maybe not at B&N, but they'd be the most expensive option anyway.
And then there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets