Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm no more definite about the iPad than before I read this thread.

I'm considering a 10.1":

- the iPad...probably 2 or 3 (what's the difference & what about the 4 or 5?)
- Microsoft Surface RT
- Sony Xperia Tablet Z
- Samsung Galaxy

I guess $500 is the magic # since they're all about that much. I guess the MOST important things I want to do with it are:

Email - My email is through Windows Mail. Can I use that system with ANY tablet?

Access internet ANYWHERE, like for example in a remote place if I'm on a road trip. Do they all have pay-as-you-go plug-ins? I don't want to pay any monthly fees.

Nice variety of apps & also a good variety to use with my speech & language students.

Share your wisdom with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Access internet ANYWHERE, like for example in a remote place if I'm on a road trip. Do they all have pay-as-you-go plug-ins? I don't want to pay any monthly fees.[/b]
This is going to be impossible to accomplish with built-in Internet on the device. Built-in internet is locked to a provider. The more ubiquitous you want the Internet to be, the more you'll have to pay per month to get it.

I do know that Apple's iPad Internet service does not require a contract. If you were traveling in the month of August, you could pay for service for that month only and use wifi the rest of the year.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Sounds good, thanks Bo.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
If I understood your question, the difference between the iPad 2 and 4, for example, is age and the 4 is more powerful and faster. The display is better on newer iPads. The connector is also different. I still use an iPad 2, and it still works great. I can't wait to upgrade in a year or so.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
there are ways...to unlock it...and you can restore it back if you don't like it
I already went through the phase of jailbreaking my iPod. Yes I know it isn't an iPad, but it works much the same. Became very unstable and honestly, I wasn't very impressed so I changed it back the next day.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We have 3 iPads and we love them. My husband has one, I have one and we bought one for my Mother. He is gone a lot for work so we facetime often and gave the one to my Mother specificially so we can facetime with her because she lives a 5 hour drive away from us. It is great and we all 3 love them so just for the facetime it is worth the cost to us over and above anything else we use it for.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I am a couple months in now. I use it to take notes in meetings, go online, keep up with my RSS feeds and to replace my ereader. I find it pretty useful. I also use the message board app to respond to stuff here.

I did get a lovely anonymous rep comment about my social media usage. It is a great way to browse Facebook/twitter/City-Data/tumblr/etc. and all of the other various social media we participate in, whether it is trendy or not.

Surprising use? I can control my DVR.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I do know that Apple's iPad Internet service does not require a contract.
Apple does not provide "Internet Service".
When you sign up for 'only a month of service' you are still actually going through ATT or Verizon and paying them for that month directly. As such, when you buy an iPad with a cellular antenna inside you need to specify ahead of time if you want the VZW or ATT model.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Apple does not provide "Internet Service".
When you sign up for 'only a month of service' you are still actually going through ATT or Verizon and paying them for that month directly. As such, when you buy an iPad with a cellular antenna inside you need to specify ahead of time if you want the VZW or ATT model.
Yes. I was simplifying the explanation for the OP's benefit, rather than implying that Apple is a wireless provider. I assumed the OP would make the provider decision at purchase.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I already went through the phase of jailbreaking my iPod. Yes I know it isn't an iPad, but it works much the same. Became very unstable and honestly, I wasn't very impressed so I changed it back the next day.
i actually love my jailbroken ipad but iphone i didnt risk too much information in case something goes wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets