U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 53,170 times

Advertisements

The iPad, don't get me wrong, is a great tablet, but at $500 for a small amount of storage, isn't worth it. I have one that I ended up giving to my mom. It is a good tablet, but for someone who is tight on money, (like me), it isn't worth my $500. I could get a decent Windows 8 tablet with twice as much storage for $100 less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM

10,959 posts, read 23,498,698 times
I have been thinking of going for a Samsung Galaxy Note is a 10.1-inch where it has things that the I-pad 4 does not but would suit me better so I might switch from my old I-Pad 2 to a Galaxy Note since the expandable mini SSD 64GB memory a Pressure-sensitive stylus with several drawing and note-taking apps as well as Split-screen function and works as a IR remote and comes with a pretty darn fast processor.

Yes the iPad has a better display and I get that. But seeing what the Note 10.1 can do rather than what it can show really appeals to the end-users as well.

If I was going to have a simple high res tablet for surfing, checking email, watching movies, and all that multimedia stuff and NOTHING else, then I would probably go with the iPad.

I'm a man of "I need Function" I more than a toy. Then the Note would be for me.

All about preference.

Last edited by GTOlover; 08-08-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
The screen is over rated, too. Seriously. Put a Retina iPad next to a non Retina iPad 3 and you cannot tell the difference.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,493,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Calling all Apple IPAD owners.......is this device worth the money ?
What gripes , or missing features, do you have with it if you own one?
Would you buy another IPAD or recommend it to others??
How good is Apple phone tech support if you have a problem?
Would it take a killer deal to get you to buy one?
Yes, obviously. They wouldn't sell otherwise. Of course, people with a clue know that the purchase cost minus the resale is the real cost. This makes the value prop much better.

None, yes, it's been great and they have stores, no it didn't.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 AM

14,383 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default Seriously, you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The screen is over rated, too. Seriously. Put a Retina iPad next to a non Retina iPad 3 and you cannot tell the difference.
It is easy to see the difference.
Read a book.
The text is much sharper.

I would agree that with photos, they look the same.
I would agree that surfing, most sites look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
people with a clue know that the purchase cost minus the resale is the real cost. This makes the value prop much better.
For example, Gazelle will pay $240 for an Apple iPad 3rd generation 64GB WiFi (retina) and $185 for an iPad 2 (non-retina). But, only $78 for a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) GT-P5113

Last edited by davebarnes; 09-08-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It is easy to see the difference.
Read a book.
The text is much sharper.

I would agree that with photos, they look the same.
I would agree that surfing, most sites look the same.
There's a big move to push websites to retina with the responsive makeovers. Within a year many large content-based sites will be built to support retina and will look better.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 AM

537 posts, read 634,781 times
Except for my must-have flying app, my iPad2 with the new iOS 7.0 is starting to feel like an $800 paperweight. If things get much worse, it may become an $800 frisbee!

There is no way to undo the software upgrade (which totally sucks!). My wallpaper images are zoomed in and I cannot fix them. Even my yahoo email has corrupted edges, making it hard to see the page controls. I also think the new "look" was done with crayons to please the female/kid demographic. Can't change that either. Lame!!!!

It has a few hidden spy-on-you features that you really have to dig around in the Settings app to disable. [Big Brother is everywhere today.]

Other than that, I use my iPad2 for nearly everything. It's my go-to device for researching, emailing, reading books, surfing the web, flying my plane, taking pics&videos . . . if it had a DVD player it would be perfect.

But this software upgrade . . . ARRRRRRGGGGHH!!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,601,490 times
I got a iPad Mini for free. I am uncertain of the utility of it but since it was free, I'll keep it - it may come in handy someday.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
I still use my free iPad 2. Love it! It works great with iOS7, except for the wallpaper issue.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:15 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
My wife has a nice desktop computer with flat screen and all the bells and whistles, and I asked her if she wanted a brand new MacBook Pro for Christmas (a couple of years ago). She said, "no, the MackBook is too heavy, so I would like an iPad." I bought a 16GB iPad, and now she does not even look at her desktop computer (a 21" iMac)

The iPad has been perfect for her to surf the Net, buy stuff online from Amazon and others, to socialize with family and friends in Facebook, or the check her email. I also got an "AirPrint" ready HP laser printer, and she prints documents and such straight from her iPad. Since the apps take little room, 16GB has been plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or