Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
As a scientist I have been taking presentations to conferences and symposia for years. I can honestly say I have never had keynote mess up anything made in pp. I HAVE seen pp mess up older or new things made in pp though.
I'm glad it works for you. Unfortunately, not for us. We do make use of the animations and other features (Keynote's are better than PP), and those get messed up. Static slides don't get messed up, though. I don't have control over what others will use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:58 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I understand. So if I spend an extra $700-$1,200 on a MacBook Pro, I can save $60 on software that works with Powerpoint. Not the actual Powerpoint software. Really?
Come on man. You say the software is cheaper but you aren't comparing apples to apples.
If you want to compare Apple to Oranges, as you are, then just download LibreOffice for your Presentation, Spreadsheet, or Document software. Free on MAC or Windows...

Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I understand. So if I spend an extra $700-$1,200 on a MacBook Pro, I can save $60 on software that works with Powerpoint. Not the actual Powerpoint software. Really?
Come on man. You say the software is cheaper but you aren't comparing apples to apples.
If you want to compare Apple to Oranges, as you are, then just download LibreOffice for your Presentation, Spreadsheet, or Document software. Free on MAC or Windows...
Are you addressing this post to me? If you are, I am not suggesting to anyone to get a MacBook Pro. That was someone else. I have one though. I had to go out and buy MS Office because none of the other programs would properly render the presentations. LibreOffice doesn't work. Keynote does not work. None of them. I was forced to spend the money on MS Office for Mac to ensure that the presentations would work properly. It works. HOWEVER, I feel stupid for getting the Mac and then having to spend the money on Office to get it to work correctly. I would have been better off with a much cheaper PC. It's too late now.

One more thing. The guy arguing the software is cheaper was not me. I just gave the above example to show that it is not cheaper. I'm arguing the same thing you are.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I was "talking to" lkb....

Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you can't be remotely rational what is the point of having a conversation.

A Macbook Pro is $1500 assuming you can't get a discount. What equivalent machine can you get for $300?

Keynote completely replaces powerpoint, it is a stand alone presentation software, that is fundamentally better. Having hosted multiple conferences at out university, I can tell you I have NEVER seen a powerpoint open up incorrectly in keynote. But all of that is sort of beside the point. You asked for evidence of cheaper software, well there are two examples.

Additionally, total cost of ownership is similar between the two. And to be perfectly honest, having owned high end PCs, low end windows machines, and macs, I still prefer the mac. So what? Clearly you dislike apple products but pretending that they are bad machines, or that owning one costs significantly more than their windows equivalent is not only untrue but weird.

Oh, and I am not a man.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
Default No Apple in our house

I was able to master our first Windows computer on my own, in the year of 1991, and had many others since then, laptops and desktops. But when I purchased an iPod (mp3 player) it was the hardest challenge to master it, ever, and we have lots of digital cameras too. I learned to use the iPod, but I never liked it, and I' wont buy anything again from a company which created "iTunes."

Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM

374 posts, read 759,317 times
Quote:
Thats great that you have had that luck! The average "lifespan" of a laptop is 4 years, so you are definitely at the high end of the bell curve.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Apparently TCO for the average Mac user vs average windows user is similar..

Cost: Mac or PC? A Look at TCO! : Software & Technology @kirkk.com

I must have really gotten lucky with this one then:

Toshiba Satellite A135 Review

I picked it up at Best Buy for around $400 in Spring 2007 and it's still working great.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrl View Post
I must have really gotten lucky with this one then:

Toshiba Satellite A135 Review

I picked it up at Best Buy for around $400 in Spring 2007 and it's still working great.
Thats great that it lasted so long. Put thats sort of why anecdotes don't matter as much as actually data right?

Anyway, the entry level was priced at $999, so again your deal was great. But its apples to oranges to compare a heavily discounted 2007 model to the current mbp. So lets use my old 2006 macbook (which is a much more comparable model to the computer you are describing), it was about what yours was and is still running strong.

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467 Review - Laptops - CNET Reviews

Again, all things considered its a wash when it comes to cost.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Thats great that it lasted so long. Put thats sort of why anecdotes don't matter as much as actually data right?
What actual data?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What actual data?
The average length of ownership of a laptop. It is not 7 years. Post #12. I am almost positive you even quoted that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets