Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The average length of ownership of a laptop. It is not 7 years. Post #12. I am almost positive you even quoted that post.
That wasn't data. That was an opinion piece and anecdotal as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
If you can't be remotely rational what is the point of having a conversation.
I am not being irrational, I am exaggerating and... only slightly at that.

Quote:
Clearly you dislike apple products ......
Clearly you don't hang out on these forums much or you would certainly know that I LOVE ALL Technology, even Apple products and I often recommend them to people here. What I am doing is debating, and in a rather friendly manner at that. I like Apple products. I don't like a lot of things about them. I don't love everything that Apple Corp does. Just like I don't like everything Microsoft does.
Example: It amazes me that Apple flat our refuses to come out with an entry level $600 Mac. When Joe Consumer is at Best Buy and sees an entry level Windows laptop for $500 and the entry level Mac is $1,000.... 9 times out of 10, what do you think he's buying? If there were similarly priced models the computer market would look a WHOLE lot different today. But they refuse, preferring to be that "nichy product" instead of a serious competitor.

"I can get Keynote for $20"
Great, and when Keynote isn't 4% of the market maybe we can all make that move. When I asked for examples of products that are "so much cheaper" you brought out Apples v Oranges. Sure you can get different software that is cheaper that does about the same thing.
And really these are the exceptions versus the norm. Many programs aren't even available for the Mac at all.
What you SHOULD have pointed out, and I thought you were going to, is that Powerpoint for Mac is about $25 cheaper then THE SAME PRODUCT is for PC. Apples v. Apples.

Finally: I can get a $250 Netbook that runs Powerpoint. It certainly doesn't have to have the same specs as the Mac for my "exaggeration" to be true.

Peace. \/

Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am not being irrational, I am exaggerating and... only slightly at that.

Clearly you don't hang out on these forums much or you would certainly know that I LOVE ALL Technology, even Apple products and I often recommend them to people here. What I am doing is debating, and in a rather friendly manner at that. I like Apple products. I don't like a lot of things about them. I don't love everything that Apple Corp does. Just like I don't like everything Microsoft does.
Example: It amazes me that Apple flat our refuses to come out with an entry level $600 Mac. When Joe Consumer is at Best Buy and sees an entry level Windows laptop for $500 and the entry level Mac is $1,000.... 9 times out of 10, what do you think he's buying? If there were similarly priced models the computer market would look a WHOLE lot different today. But they refuse, preferring to be that "nichy product" instead of a serious competitor.

"I can get Keynote for $20"
Great, and when Keynote isn't 4% of the market maybe we can all make that move. When I asked for examples of products that are "so much cheaper" you brought out Apples v Oranges. Sure you can get different software that is cheaper that does about the same thing.
And really these are the exceptions versus the norm. Many programs aren't even available for the Mac at all.
What you SHOULD have pointed out, and I thought you were going to, is that Powerpoint for Mac is about $25 cheaper then THE SAME PRODUCT is for PC. Apples v. Apples.

Finally: I can get a $250 Netbook that runs Powerpoint. It certainly doesn't have to have the same specs as the Mac for my "exaggeration" to be true.

Peace. \/

Are people still claiming software won't run on mac? Really?

I have been running ArcGIS on my mac for 5 years now. I am sure people run about claiming it wont run on a mac, but since mac can and does run windows, its just plain old fashioned WRONG.

And if we can't compare keynote to powerpoint because they are apples to oranges, than what are we doing comparing macs to pcs at all? Aren't they also apples to oranges, they do run different operating systems/software? Or is it only the things YOU deem as apples to oranges?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That wasn't data. That was an opinion piece and anecdotal as well.

Length of ownership isn't data? You think industry analysts stating that laptops are owned for an average of 4.4 years is an opinion?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Length of ownership isn't data? You think industry analysts stating that laptops are owned for an average of 4.4 years is an opinion?
Are you moving the goalposts here? I thought we were discussing Macs lasting longer and/or total cost of ownership being less than PCs, and not the length of time the average laptop is owned?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:

I have been running ArcGIS on my mac for 5 years now. I am sure people run about claiming it wont run on a mac, but since mac can and does run windows, its just plain old fashioned WRONG.

And if we can't compare keynote to powerpoint because they are apples to oranges, than what are we doing comparing macs to pcs at all? Aren't they also apples to oranges, they do run different operating systems/software? Or is it only the things YOU deem as apples to oranges?
Yes, there is still software that runs in Windows, but has no version that runs in OSX. There aren't too many that still don't work, but there are still some that don't.

When I bought my Mac, Windows was not included. I would have to spend hundreds of dollars more to put Windows on it.

I agree with you on Keynote. It is overall better than Power Point.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Thats great that you have had that luck! The average "lifespan" of a laptop is 4 years, so you are definitely at the high end of the bell curve.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Quote:
Are you moving the goalposts here? I thought we were discussing Macs lasting longer and/or total cost of ownership being less than PCs, and not the length of time the average laptop is owned?
What are you talking about? I clearly state the average "age" of a laptop, not a mac nor a windows machine, was 4 years. That was after my congratulating you on taking your machine beyond the average. You claim that information is an opinion. What?

I am done having a discussion with someone who appears to be having a different conversation instead of actual reading what was written

Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is still software that runs in Windows, but has no version that runs in OSX. There aren't too many that still don't work, but there are still some that don't.

When I bought my Mac, Windows was not included. I would have to spend hundreds of dollars more to put Windows on it.

I agree with you on Keynote. It is overall better than Power Point.
This is why I cannot deal with having these conversations. People begin to exaggerate to the point of lying.

A license for windows is not HUNDREDS of dollars.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit Branded

Google

Google

Most of the time you can get it for LESS than ONE HUNDRED dollars. Frequently for less than $50.

So hypocritical, people buy their windows machines on sale and quote that as the "entry price" and then pretend you cannot get anything for a mac, even a copy of windows to run on a mac for anything less than full price. So silly, and so obvious that it isn't about reality (which is that there is no real reason to choose one platform over another than PREFERENCE) at all.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I clearly state the average "age" of a laptop, not a mac nor a windows machine, was 4 years. That was after my congratulating you on taking your machine beyond the average. You claim that information is an opinion. What?

I am done having a discussion with someone who appears to be having a different conversation instead of actual reading what was written
I guess I misread your earlier comment. It seemed to me that you were saying, "oh, you just got lucky and that if it was a Mac it would last longer." I reject the idea that it was just luck, but if that's not what you were saying, then fine, I can forget it.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
I will certainly give you it is better then it's EVER been. I had a new employee start at my office and he asked if he could bring all his Apple gear. Being an MS only shop, pre-Windows8 I would have said "not a chance". But I acquiesced as I am a bit annoyed at MS. Install MS Entourage (which was cheaper then Outlook, btw), installed many applications that we used and I was surprised how many had Apple versions.
But then, of course, something pretty important and = no Apple version. So I used an old copy of XP and we installed that.
"Oh you can just install Windows on a Mac if you need it!"
Yea? And? I can install OSX on a Windows PC if I needed to.

Quote:
compare keynote to powerpoint because they are apples to oranges, than what are we doing comparing macs to pcs at all? Aren't they also apples to oranges, they do run different operating systems/software? Or is it only the things YOU deem as apples to oranges?
To say "Well I can get software for cheaper" would have been a much better argument had you gone Apples v Apples as I have now done twice FOR you. But, as I said, if you want to compare just any kind of software, there is a lot more software out there for Windows that is free then there is for Apple.

"I can get presentation software cheaper on a Mac then you can on a PC"... as I already pointed out LibreOffice is FREE. And runs on both products.
MS sells Powerpoint for boh systems (and is cheaper on Mac... again).
Apple does not sell Keynote for PC.

I apologize if I took what you said as meaning you could get the same software cheaper.
Bottom line: any savings on software is not going to ever balance out the initial price difference.

Apparently even Apple finally realized maybe they are a bit pricey:
Indications show Apple's Retina MacBook Pro still overpriced | Apple - CNET News

Good move Apple. Now come out with a $600 laptop, mm'kay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets