U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 AM

5,984 posts, read 8,449,728 times

Advertisements

I don't know squat about any tablets, but I know I want to get one soon & since this Sony model thread started, I'm intrigued.

TerryDactyls, how are you coming along with it?

ANY info anyone can give would be appreciated! I'm also considering the iPad & Microsoft Surface RT.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM

837 posts, read 973,991 times
I did some playing over the weekend and I'm liking what I see (but take my opinions with a grain of salt - it's my first tablet and I don't have anything to compare it with). The speed is comparable to my laptop (or better) and the graphics are great. I figured out how to get books and movies and it's pretty simple. I pulled up a sample of a book and read the first chapter. It was very easy to read (there are several options on what color screen you can use for reading). The size of the print is adjustable. E-reading was a main reason for the purchase so I'm happy that it works as well as it does. I've always been a proponent of the actual book rather than reading on a computer, but this actually may work better. And instead of paying $4.99 at Half Price Books, I found many similar titles for $.99. I haven't yet looked into getting a library card and using it to take out E-books. After about five hours of playing around, and playing some games, the battery went from 92% to 48%. So, as of right now, I'm a pretty happy camper.

As for accessing the internet from work, where I work has a "guest" Wi-Fi connection that I was trying to use. It didn't work last week, but I may be doing something wrong in trying to synch up with it. As soon as I got home, I was able to synch up with my home Wi-Fi immediately. I think it might be user error rather than the tablet.

As I learn more or find other good points, I'll keep updating.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I hope you know you can ask us for help too, Terry.

Are you using the Google Books app? Because since you bought a "real" Android tablet, you can also use The Nook app, and/or the Kindle app to get books.
SERIOUSLY check out your library website. You wouldn't believe what some of the larger sites are doing.
Audio Books, Books, Music... heck mine even gave away 300 current Magazines over a few month period. I literally downloaded over 20 magazines FOR FREE.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 PM

The Sony came with Kindle so I played with that. I'm going to get a library card from the Austin City library to see what that can get me. If it's free, it's for me.....

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM

Yea, I gotta' believe the Austin/Travis County library system has all the latest stuff.
(Am I right it's Travis?)

Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM

Austin is in Travis County. I just hope both books aren't checked out when I want one.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM

So I got my library card and gave their online services a try. First attempt was to search for online books by Lawrence Block. I got a message that nothing matched that criteria. I tried "Sherlock Holmes" and got the same message. I tried Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and got seven responses, two of which were Sherlock Holmes books (and four of the responses were Spanish language books). Out of curiousity, I tried the same search again and got the "no matches" response. Either their website is awful or there are serious user errors.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM

4,071 posts, read 2,582,371 times
Sony already tried once with tablets, so I guess they learned from the previous attempt...I will wait and see on this one...

Hands-On With Sony's New Wedge-Shaped Tablet S | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Old 03-14-2014, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 676 times
Comparing the two devices sony tablet vs Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, you can certainly see sony scoring the smarter points than the other ones. Hence the choice for the tab is very much inevitable thanks to the number of key features and elements that make this tab a lucrative option for all. Cost wise, it may be higher than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, but looking at the number of features you have in this can really work wonder for the users. In fact, I had been using it from quite some time and do enjoy working with the same.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 vs sony Tab

Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM

THis thread is a bit old but Sony does continue to build top of the line tablets for the same prices as the other guys. Still a serious contender for an Android tablet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets