U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,057,440 times

Advertisements

I use Smart Audiobook Player more than any other app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...okplayer&hl=en

Let's you control playback speed and shifts pitch as needed. Nice but not necessary feature is downloading book cover to display on screen. My only problem is I got an 8 gig Nexus 7 which does not have a microSD slot.

If you get a tablet get one with a slot.

I am looking at the Hyundai T7s.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

Terrific electronics learning tool. A book may help with the electronics.

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexc...lectronics.pdf

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM

6,120 posts, read 9,728,520 times
Our most often used Android apps are:

MobilityWare solitaire games (Free Cell, Spider, classic)

Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Business Calendar
ColorNote

It's my brain now....

Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
I use Waze for navigation every time I leave the house. (traffic is even more real-time than google Map's plus there's a social network for speed traps and other hazards).
Flashlight (simple, but it gets used a lot)
SwiftFTP (makes transferring files to my PC a snap)
DropBox (worth it's reputation)
KeyRing (consolidate loyalty keyring tags)

Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 PM

I read the permissions page for Waze. No thanks.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
DropBox (worth it's reputation)
Cannot be understated. You NEED DropBox on a phone. Period.

Tek, Waze is safe. The number of permissions are because they are trying something different when it comes to GPS. Trying to add a bit of social network on top of it. People can report traffic backups to the app which is a nice idea. and a bad idea. I can make stuff up too.

Tried Waze before but it isn't as good as Maps which is already on your phone.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,488,479 times
I agree that GoogleMaps Nav is the better nav program than Waze

But the actual "real time" traffic is quicker than the 10-20 minute delayed reporting you get from gMaps, and Waze also has the Social Networking hazards reporting.

Also, it has some surprising and interesting features "under the hood".
Automatically, it tracks your speed and checks it against the speed limit. If you are going significantly slower, it indicates a slow traffic segment and adjusts everybodies routing.
It somehow knows about the delays at stop lights and takes that into account.
I once was stopped at a light for an extra long time (several cycles), and a message came up that asked "We've notices you've been delayed for an extra long time, is this doe to heavy traffic and not just being stopped at a light? Y/N" --- Too cool!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM

Memory Booster -RAM Optimizer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ter.lite&hl=en

I don't know how Android manages RAM. Maybe it only does garbage collection when it needs to. My memory usage was just at 79% and I ran Memory Booster and it went down to 66%. This is on a Google Nexus 7 with a gig of RAM. Memory usage is rarely below 50% and not by much then. I don't know how devices with only 512K can work. Since I have not seen usage over 95% I don't know how much advantage 2 gigs would be. The Hyundai T7s has 2 gig. What I really care about is the microSD slot.

psik

Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Tek, Waze is safe. The number of permissions are because they are trying something different when it comes to GPS. Trying to add a bit of social network on top of it. People can report traffic backups to the app which is a nice idea. and a bad idea. I can make stuff up too.

Tried Waze before but it isn't as good as Maps which is already on your phone.
Some permissions seem to want too much access for my comfort.

Quote:
  • Storagemodify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    Allows the app to write to the USB storage.
  • Bluetoothpair with Bluetooth devices
    Allows the app to view the configuration of Bluetooth on the device, and to make and accept connections with paired devices.
  • Cameratake pictures and videos
    Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
  • Microphonerecord audio
    record audio
  • Your social information read your contacts
    Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your device, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
Hide
  • Your accountsfind accounts on the device
    Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the device. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.
  • Network communicationview network connections
    Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
    receive data from Internet
    Allows apps to accept cloud to device messages sent by the app's service. Using this service will incur data usage. Malicious apps could cause excess data usage.
  • System toolsaccess extra location provider commands
    Allows the app to access extra location provider commands. This may allow the app to to interfere with the operation of the GPS or other location sources.
    modify system settings
    Allows the app to modify the system's settings data. Malicious apps may corrupt your system's configuration.
    send sticky broadcast
    Allows the app to send sticky broadcasts, which remain after the broadcast ends. Excessive use may make the device slow or unstable by causing it to use too much memory.
    test access to protected storage
    Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM

How To Get An Education For Free Using Only Your Android Phone Or Tablet

Quote:
Grace

This relatively new app, released in March of this year by Mobispectra Technologies, is fantastic. If you want to organize all your educational videos in one place, Grace is the app to do it. Seriously, go download it right now.
The biggest advantage of this app is that it opens everything within the app, and it is lightning fast because of it. Many of the other apps I tested tried to open YouTube videos in the browser or the YouTube app, or would direct me to other outside links. There’s none of that in Grace. Grace plays the video through your YouTube app (so make sure you have it installed on your Android device) but embeds it within the Grace app. It also allows you to open Wikipedia within the app to quickly find relevant information.

How To Get An Education For Free Using Only Your Android Phone Or Tablet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets