U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times

Advertisements

Flash may be on the decline, but TONS of web sites still use it. Any device that cannot do Flash will deliver a second-rate web experience for years to come still. I LOL at the older iPhone (or maybe iPad) TV commercial saying how it gave you the web, not the "sort of" web, or "almost" web. While the web experience was certainly better than other mobile devices at the time, lacking Flash certainly disqualifies it from delivering the WHOLE web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Disagree. Flash is dead. TONS of websites? Like Hotel Booking sites that let you virtually tour the room?? Big deal.
That's about the only site I have been to in 3 years that was a problem for the iPad.
Flash. is Dead. OK maybe not totally.

Some nice ones here:
http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/best-flash-sites

Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 AM

3,341 posts, read 4,607,544 times
Yes there are a lot of websites that use flash, I find them all the time on the ipad. They don't have the pictures up and running. It's such a drag. Lots of websites still use Flash. And yes I travel a lot and need to see the rooms I book, it is a big deal. I'm not booking without seeing them. I'm glad it doesn't interfere with the sites others frequent but it's frustrating and it's going to be many years before they all stop using flash.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,132 times
I like Ipad especially the mini one because I can carry it very easy and comfortable but if I want to have an alternative of Ipad, I would love samsung tab, especially those one who run the latest Android OS, somehow it can compete with IPad, not that expensive but still can give us superb functions.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:38 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
We have two android based Samsung tablets in the house and they're fantastic.

Hit a local big box or electronics store and try a few different types out. I would never buy an Apple product, for a few reasons, the biggest being that they're very overpriced.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM

35 posts, read 28,632 times
Default Any tablet = iPad plus Flash

Flash isn't dead as far as my concern. As matter of fact I am looking hard to replace my iPad with a tablet that almost has all functions as iPad but one extra feature which is the very flash. As a frequent traveller , flash is almost a must while apple may not be a must at all. Any idea, please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree. Flash is dead. TONS of websites? Like Hotel Booking sites that let you virtually tour the room?? Big deal.
That's about the only site I have been to in 3 years that was a problem for the iPad.
Flash. is Dead. OK maybe not totally.

Some nice ones here:
Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2013

Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. P View Post
Flash isn't dead as far as my concern. As matter of fact I am looking hard to replace my iPad with a tablet that almost has all functions as iPad but one extra feature which is the very flash. As a frequent traveller , flash is almost a must while apple may not be a must at all. Any idea, please help.
Since Flash isn't supported on Android any more, you're probably going to need something like a Surface Pro that's a full Windows PC in a tablet-like form factor.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM

35 posts, read 28,632 times
Thanks but Surface doesn't support 3/4 G at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Since Flash isn't supported on Android any more, you're probably going to need something like a Surface Pro that's a full Windows PC in a tablet-like form factor.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Agree with EC. You other option is to get an older tablet on Ebay that has the Gingerbread OS on it. Flash should still work on that.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I am considering getting and iPad or alternative, my choice would be something more along the lines of a non Apple product. I have a laptop at home which is not a Mac but I do have an iPhone.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Do you think I'd be better off with an iPad? I really no nothing about this stuff and probably use about 5% of my iPhone's capacity.

Thanks!
Have you looked into Google's Nexus 7 tablet? I've heard that it's on par with Ipad mini, the only difference is that Ipad mini loads games a bit more quickly and it has a better camera, but Nexus 7 is only $199 for 16GB or $249 for 32GB which is still cheaper than a 16GB Ipad mini. I've been meaning to buy one, but have held off since I read that the next version of Google Nexus 7 is slated to be released in July of this year, so I'll be waiting for that updated version. They also have a 10 inch version, but that one is a bit more expensive.

Nexus 7 - Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or