Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

I own a refurb Ipad 1 that I bought from apple two years ago. Love the darn thing so I want to keep the one that I have now. I know that in order to get the battery replaced I'm supposed to send it back to Apple along with $99 for the work. Thing is Apple will not send my Ipad back instead they will send a refurb that more than likely will not be an ipad 1.

I don't like the newer Ipads since they have features I don't like or want to deal with. I know I'm being a fuddy duddy but I just want to get a new battery installed in mine and let it go at that.

So is it possible to just get a new battery installed and who does that work today???

HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,447 times
Followed this: 40 bucks on eBay + about 10 ~ 12 minutes on a Sat. AM and all is well.

Apple iPad Battery Replacement & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com - YouTube

If you're not comfortable w/the task, check your local Craigslist for someone doing battery replacements.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I don't understand the issue with NOT wanting a newer iPad. It's not like ANY of the NEW FEATURES are going to prevent you from doing anything, or get in your way in any way at all. What "new features" are you even talking about?
The only new features are hardware related. Better camera, better screen, faster processor.
I find it surprising that for ONLY $99 they will upgrade you to a newer device??? Crazy not to do that, imo, unless you DIY as Jayess did.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Will they upgrade my ipad 2 for $99?

Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Followed this: 40 bucks on eBay + about 10 ~ 12 minutes on a Sat. AM and all is well.

Apple iPad Battery Replacement & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com - YouTube

If you're not comfortable w/the task, check your local Craigslist for someone doing battery replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't understand the issue with NOT wanting a newer iPad. It's not like ANY of the NEW FEATURES are going to prevent you from doing anything, or get in your way in any way at all. What "new features" are you even talking about?
The only new features are hardware related. Better camera, better screen, faster processor.
I find it surprising that for ONLY $99 they will upgrade you to a newer device??? Crazy not to do that, imo, unless you DIY as Jayess did.
As the videos show battery replacement is not exactly all that easy. No, sir! That said, I resent not being able to service , changing a battery for gosh sake!, in a product I've already paid for. I also resent that Apple forces me to swap out my product for a newer product that has features I don't want be they new or not!! I happen to like what I already own and see no need to "upgrade" just just for a battery.

I'm from a generation that expects products to last until worn out not until the battery dies! Younger folk's may take this in stride but they don't see the mega corporation picking their pocket for ever more money. Hopefully, there will be a response that will share with me the name of some small business that is willing , and able, to refit a new battery into my ipad. I'm just amazed that this niche replacement market has been so ignored!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I just can't believe you don't see the value in getting a better device that retails for $300++ for a mere $99.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I just can't believe you don't see the value in getting a better device that retails for $300++ for a mere $99.
It's not just the ipad.

I have invested many dollars in other items that complement my original ipad specifically. I see no reason to repeat that investment then do another learning curve with new or different accessories. Don't like having my pocket picked that way.

Remember, All I want to do is re-power my ipad not re-spend all that original investment.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Remember, All I want to do is re-power my ipad not re-spend all that original investment.
That may be what you want to do, but it's not what Apple wants you to do. They are well known for making their products as difficult to repair as possible.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That may be what you want to do, but it's not what Apple wants you to do. They are well known for making their products as difficult to repair as possible.
Yes, I know and that parts sort of ok with me. I've taken my Mac's to a local repair shop for years but they won't touch ipads or iphones. THAT was unexpected!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
It's not just the ipad.

I have invested many dollars in other items that complement my original ipad specifically. I see no reason to repeat that investment then do another learning curve with new or different accessories. Don't like having my pocket picked that way.

?
Seriously? They'll replace your unit w/the same for $99, or you can use this very same internet to purchase a battery and screwdriver (if you need the latter). The three to five minutes of time are yours to supply...
FWIW, "google" shows plenty of folks willing to replace your battery for a mild $$ + supplies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets