U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 AM

35 posts, read 28,632 times

Advertisements

Flash isn't dead as far as my concern. As matter of fact I am looking hard to replace my iPad with a tablet that almost has all functions as iPad but one more extra feature which is the very flash. As a frequent traveller , flash is almost a must while apple isnt a must at all. Or do I have to consider jailbreak which isnt working well as someone opinionated. Any idea, please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times
Does it have to run Apple iOS apps or are you comfortable with an Android tablet?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:05 PM

Not, I can just leave Apple as far as away but untill I can find good alternative . It must support 3g/4g plan. I thought Surface was but it doesnt. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Does it have to run Apple iOS apps or are you comfortable with an Android tablet?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Probably your best bet at this time would be to buy an Android tablet running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (or higher), with a wireless plan, from your favorite wireless provider. Then follow the instructions in this article to install Flash on your tablet.

How to Install Flash On Your Android Jelly Bean Tablet or Phone

To run Jelly Bean and have wireless capability means you'll be shopping for a fairly expensive tablet, so don't be surprised if the tablet itself costs as much as a comparable iPad.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM

Bo, would you recommend some provider? Currently I use AT&T.
Will try. Not only iPad doesn't support flash, it takes trouble to get print working too often. Apple just likes to put all burden to its customers for any variance, they want to be a dictator.
By the way, I'm not looking for low price but versatility.

Quote:
Probably your best bet at this time would be to buy an Android tablet running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (or higher), with a wireless plan, from your favorite wireless provider. Then follow the instructions in this article to install Flash on your tablet.

How to Install Flash On Your Android Jelly Bean Tablet or Phone

To run Jelly Bean and have wireless capability means you'll be shopping for a fairly expensive tablet, so don't be surprised if the tablet itself costs as much as a comparable iPad.

Last edited by Dr. P; 05-31-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. P View Post
Will try. Not only iPad doesn't support flash, it takes trouble to get print working too often. Apple just likes to put all burden to its customers for any variance, they want to be a dictator.
By the way, I'm not looking for low price but versatility.
I'm not going to pile on for any iPad bashing, because I have and use both flavors of tablet and smartphone in my household.

Any printing issues I've had were resolved by buying a brand new printer that supports both AirPrint and Google CloudPrint. Now we can print almost effortlessly from every smartphone and tablet in the house.

Printer networking technology is evolving about as fast as tablet technology right now. Printer manufacturers seem to abandon firmware and driver updates in less than 2 years, so the device that prints from current OSes likely won't work for printing from the next OS. As painful as it is to junk a functional printer, it's difficult to avoid in a household with new devices we want to print from.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM

As my experience shows that above all Linux is best to fit printing environment, no other way around like Apple etc, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a Linux based tablet.

Quote:
I'm not going to pile on for any iPad bashing, because I have and use both flavors of tablet and smartphone in my household.

Any printing issues I've had were resolved by buying a brand new printer that supports both AirPrint and Google CloudPrint. Now we can print almost effortlessly from every smartphone and tablet in the house.

Printer networking technology is evolving about as fast as tablet technology right now. Printer manufacturers seem to abandon firmware and driver updates in less than 2 years, so the device that prints from current OSes likely won't work for printing from the next OS. As painful as it is to junk a functional printer, it's difficult to avoid in a household with new devices we want to print from.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I disagree with Bo that you will need to junk your printers every 2 years. Printer Networking has not advanced and does not advance that much. Are your old Parallel printers obsolete now? Yes. But come on... that is VERY old technology and it IS time for it to go away.
Also disagree that Linux is somehow a superior print environment.

Any printer that supports the Airprint function will print with the iPhone 6, 7, 8, 9.
That is the exact reason Apple created Airprint: compatibility. Bash Apple all you want, but that was a very good move on their part.

As for printing with Android, I use an app called PrinterShare. It is $10 in the Play store. I luckily got it free when Amazon had it as the FAOTD. It's really nice. I can print to any of my printers with Google Cloud Print from anywhere in the world. And it works just as seamlessly on my home network. This technology also is not going to make my printers obsolete any time soon. There is also a free trial so you can see if it works with your stuff before buying.

New ways may come along to allow us to print (see Bluetooth) but it will be a long time before the "old ways" mean you need a new printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or