Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times

Advertisements

From another technology-challenged person. What did I do?

On Nook, I worked a puzzle and turned off Nook. When I turned it back on, I could still get the puzzle but I cannot get the book I have been reading. I also cannot get another book that is in there, just a blank page. I can get a magazine (National Geographic) and one of the Samples but I cannot get a regular book. Only that blank page.

A hint maybe? When I was working the puzzle, a Quick Settings window kept popping up. I just clicked it away. Maybe it was trying to tell me something?

It seems to be only the books section that is affected. And, no, the battery does not need charging. It is at 89%.

Please, can someone solve this mystery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM

All right. I found it! I went to Quick Settings and unchecked Mute and the books were back. How it got checked I know not but I'd have thought Mute referred to music.

No matter. I feel better having figured it out. Thank you all anyway. Good night.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:56 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times
I hate NOOK. I use Nook for PC only and 3 months ago on their download site they only provided a version for Windows 8. I complained to a store manager to tell corporate that people need versions to work on older OSes. Now I downloaded a Windows 7 version Nook for PC and it's unstable and it crashes. I can't read my few Nook books. And B&N can't handle Nook tablet development so they are looking for a supplier to make the next Nook. And one day B&N could go out of business, but not amazon. So nowadays I only buy Amazon Kindle ebooks and read them on Kindle for PC. Kindle for PC also lets you copy n paste test from the Kindle book, something you couldn't do with a Nook book I think.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 AM

What is scary is that it isn't my Nook. A friend offered it to me If I wanted it and I could return it to her if not. I'd never tried one. So it did give me a chance to see how they work. I've never even seen a Kindle. Just stick with my Desk Top where Windows 7 is steady as a gong. Has some weird settings but nothing to crash (so far <g>)

I do know that, whenever I go to a B&N store - less and less nowadays - there seems to always be at least one customer there with his Nook asking for help with some problem. Often the people at the desk cannot help either.

I don't know what happened with mine but I shall finish the book I am reading and return it to its owner - who never has a problem with it. :-) But she's a whiz with electronics of all kinds.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
The two of you are talking about different things.
Hazel has an actual Nook. Not "The Nook software for PC".
The Kindle is no more "tech friendly" then the Nook and in fact, the Nook beats the Kindle is a couple ways. #1 being almost full on access to the Google Play Store.
If there was an Amazon store, trust me, you'd see people there every day asking for help, too.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The two of you are talking about different things.
Hazel has an actual Nook. Not "The Nook software for PC".
The Kindle is no more "tech friendly" then the Nook and in fact, the Nook beats the Kindle is a couple ways. #1 being almost full on access to the Google Play Store.
If there was an Amazon store, trust me, you'd see people there every day asking for help, too.

Oh, that explains what Jesse is doing. I did wonder. And you are probably right about Amazon. I do wonder if we ask too much of the small electronic items. This Nook even sends emails and says in one place 'Search Google'. My "simple" cell phone takes pictures, texts and sends emails. Or, so it says. I've not tried any of it. Just make phone calls. Heaven help us with what the smart phones do. Literally everything?

That is getting away from the topic but what Nook does caused me to think about it. One thing I've learned about this particular Nook is "don't go into the "apps". Things go wrong every time.

Anyway, just chatting uselessly there. Thanks for clarifying what Jesse and I are talking about. I didn't know there was a Nook for computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets