U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,303,422 times

Advertisements

I decided today that I would like to get a tablet. I am currently wanting it to surf the web and watch youtube videos as well as netflix/hulu. I was thinking about getting the Samsung 10.1 galaxy tab 2 with 16 gb of memory. I was thinking, is this too little memory? Should I get 32 gb? I also would like a storage slot, I was thinking of a microsd slot as well as a usb slot.

I saw another Samsung tablet that had pretty much the same thing but it was a Samsung Note, I think it is a better tablet, but I wasn't sure. The other thing I was thinking about is if you get an Ipad and a Iphone(don't have one, but I was thinking of getting one later), that you can transfer stuff so you don't have to buy the same apps twice, can you do that with samsung tablets?

The two tablets are here:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet with 16GB Memory White GT-N8013ZWYXAR - Best Buy

Samsung GTP5113TSYXAR - Best Buy

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,060,491 times
Memory for tablets is really about content you own and store on the tablet: photos, music, books, apps, documents and the biggest memory hog of all, movies. Unless you have an unusually large photo collection or plan on purchasing a lot of movies, 16GB should be sufficient.

Personally, I rent an occasional movie on my iPad, but I don’t buy them. It’s not the right platform for a permanent movie collection.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Agree.

And, no, you don't have to "rebuy" apps. Any apps you buy on Google or Amazon will transfer to any newer or additional devices that you have.

Being an Amazon Prime member, it is nice to buy or rent a movie and watch it either on my tablet (rarely) or on my TV (with a Roku box and the Amazon app).

Old 06-03-2013, 06:18 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,303,422 times
Hey, so in your opinion is the more expensive tablet worth the cost? I want to stream movies off of netflix and watch videos on youtube. The more expensive tablet has a 1.0 ghz processor and it doesnt say hiw much ram. The second has 2gb of ram amd a 1.4 ghz processor. Is that really that much of a difference?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,058,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Memory for tablets is really about content you own and store on the tablet: photos, music, books, apps, documents and the biggest memory hog of all, movies. Unless you have an unusually large photo collection or plan on purchasing a lot of movies, 16GB should be sufficient.
Audiobooks take up a lot of space. I do text-to-speech on my desktop and listen to the MP3s from my tablet. Plenty of things can be done while listening to books.

psik

Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
The 2GB of RAM is more future proof. Processor speeds aren't as important.

Not sure which one is the more expensive because it won't show the price til you checkout.
#Lame

Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,492,539 times
+1 about choosing your "storage" space based on what media you will be storing.

A good rule-of-thumb, is that a typical
document (3 KB) is 100 times smaller than an
audio file (300 KB) is 1,000 times smaller than a
audio book file (300 MB) is 1,000 times smaller than a
TV video file (300 GB) is 10 times smaller than a
movie video file (3,000 GB) is 10 times smaller than a
movie video file (BluRay) (30,000 GB)

Multiply that out and you see that a typical document takes something like 10,000,000 times less space that a full sized movie.
Basically, pretty much any phone or tablet can hold an unlimited number of documents.
If you're not going to store TV and Movie video files, than 16 GB will be more than enough.

The more limiting thing will be the system RAM (the memory used by the computer to do "thinking" rather than "storage"). My old Droid has 250 kRam and I find I run some pretty big apps on it, and it's slowed down too often. I'm going to be looking for a modern smartphone with 1GB or even 2GB of RAM, so my navigation programs and such will run quickly.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,492,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
+1 about choosing your "storage" space based on what media you will be storing.
<snip>
The more limiting thing will be the system RAM (the memory used by the computer to do "thinking" rather than "storage"). My old Droid has 250 kRam and I find I run some pretty big apps on it, and it's slowed down too often. I'm going to be looking for a modern smartphone with 1GB or even 2GB of RAM, so my navigation programs and such will run quickly.
Followup:
I replaced my Motorola Droid phone with a Samsung Galaxy S4, and during the 2-weeks leading up to buying it, I observed something very interesting.

When I went to Verizon storefronts to ask they had the 32 GB versions in stock yet, they all tried to sell me the 16 GB version, (which just happened to be in-stock!), and said that purchasing and installing a large-capacity removable-memory chip would be "the same".
All FIVE of the Verizon stores, and all the sales persons with whom I talked, didn't know (or didn't let on), that there are some apps that MUST be installed in the on-board memory, and won't work on removable memory chips. If I had gotten the 16 GB version, I would have actually only had 9.23 GB of accessible space. While that seems a lot if all you are working with are documents, it's actually not much if you have large data-sets or multimedia files.

[source: Samsung Galaxy S4 update addresses storage complaints with move to SD card feature | The Verge ]

So I got my new 32 GB on-line and have 25.23 GB usable, and I'm even considering rooting my phone (ie: jail-breaking) so I can force it to uninstall some of the bloatware Verizon force on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets