U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 PM

173 posts, read 239,156 times

Advertisements

I'm going to buy a 10 inch tablet once my latest laptop dies, which is like the 4th or 5th PC I've gone through over the past 9 years. I don't need 99 percent of PC's programs, and Tablets are much less prone to break with them having no moving parts. It will be my one and only "computer", and I just want to know, has anyone here done this, and can this idea work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
The only non-moving parts in a modern laptop is the fans. I personally believe that the only tablet that can replace an entire computer is a Windows 7/8 tablet.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 AM

2,942 posts, read 3,926,855 times
What tablets are good at are web browsing, email, games. A tablet can do word processing and spread sheets but the smaller keyboard or lack of keyboard combined with the often smaller screen makes any task that requires moderate to large amounts of typing a bad idea. In addition printing on a tablet while possible isn’t always as simple as possible. Most newer printers can print from a tablet but an older printer might not be able to and my experience of some of the printing apps from both tablets and phones leaves a little to be desired.

If you need a tablet that can replace a laptop, I would go for a windows 8 one as the best in that category otherwise not.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The only non-moving parts in a modern laptop is the fans. I personally believe that the only tablet that can replace an entire computer is a Windows 7/8 tablet.
I might have agreed with you if the OP hadn't said:

"I don't need 99 percent of PC's programs"

For someone that says that? Android, iPad or Windows tablet will work just fine.

Do you like to tinker and customize? If yes, get an Android.
If not look at the Windows tablets, or the iPads. They are not nearly as customizable (the look and feel is what I am talking about here) but still perfectly capable.

As for printing, there are so many ways to accomplish that nowadays, it's pretty simple. Yes, it helps to have a more modern printer, particularly a Wifi one. I print stuff from my phone ALL the time using an app called: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.printershare

Totally painless and perfect results. I can print to my home PC when I am at home and I can print to any printer at my office (job) from anywhere.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,395,649 times
Depends on what you are using the tablet for. If you are just checking email and doing very basic tasks, an iPad would be fine. The Surface Pro and other a lot of other Windows 8 devices aren't really tablets. They are PCs with a touchscreen. Anything I can do on my Dell laptop, I can do on my Surface Pro.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM

18,536 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Quote:
"The only non-moving parts in a modern laptop is the fans. "

I think I just found your problem...

Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,057,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
I'm going to buy a 10 inch tablet once my latest laptop dies, which is like the 4th or 5th PC I've gone through over the past 9 years.
That is weird. What kind of crappy laptops are you buying? A serious problem with laptops is getting clogged up with dust and overheating. And cat hair for some people. They need to be opened and cleaned.

I have a 6 year old desktop and a Nexus 7 tablet. What do you intend to backup your tablet to? I have an external USB drive to back up my desktop. I turn it on about once a week. When I get 3 years of use on the drive in the computer I swap the backup into the computer and buy a new backup.

psik

Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"The only non-moving parts in a modern laptop is the fans. "

I think I just found your problem...
Lol. Midnight mistake. I meant the fan is the only moving part.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,057,440 times
Quote:
Lol. Midnight mistake. I meant the fan is the only moving part.
The Hard drive spins unless it uses an SSD. The keys are all moving parts. They malfunction and break.

psik

Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,562,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
I'm going to buy a 10 inch tablet once my latest laptop dies, which is like the 4th or 5th PC I've gone through over the past 9 years. I don't need 99 percent of PC's programs, and Tablets are much less prone to break with them having no moving parts. It will be my one and only "computer", and I just want to know, has anyone here done this, and can this idea work?

If all you do is surf Facebook at Starbucks, then yes, it's great replacement.

[I notice you have posted 118 times since Dec 08 years so I guess you don't CDF too much either.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets