U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
actually i am

and the point i was making was regarding tablets and computer functionality of a 10" tablet
Um... ok.
"An iPad is the only tablet that functions more like a computer".
NO "computer guy" would say that. It is blatantly wrong.
The ONLY tablet that "functions like a computer" is the Windows tablet.

Your clarification makes no sense either. I don't get it. So you're saying because an iPad is 10" it "functions more like a computer"? Other 10" tablets don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 AM

13,317 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But the iPad does NOT work like a computer.
That statement doesn't make any sense. The iPad IS a computer.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,689,252 times
Regular old 7" HKC tablet here, no ipad needed.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,182,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Of course the Android doesn't compare to an iPad. An Android store has thousands of more apps.
but of many of them are worthless or data mining apps disguised as free-ware .

Windows fanboys use to make the same arguments in a Mac vs PC debate.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,644,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Um... ok.

Your clarification makes no sense either. I don't get it. So you're saying because an iPad is 10" it "functions more like a computer"? Other 10" tablets don't?
"i don't get it"

Good!

that's the beauty of this internet forum where everyone can give their opinions and you can choose to agree/dissagree/ignore/etc

my point is simply ..take a laptop of your choice

now take an android tablet

do they function the same? hows that workflow?

now take an ipad

do you get the same feeling using it as you get with the android tablet?

---

lets say i wanted to use a specific app say a music app (for making music) hmm just looking online i see that the ipad not only has all kinds of exclusive software but peripherals too...i can plug a mic up to it and a lil 2 octave keyboard and make some tunes...ki8nda the same way i can do with the laptop

now if you cant interpret my pov then simply ignore my posts mr smartguy

Old 03-15-2014, 04:04 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,057,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Um... ok.
All tablets function as computers. It is just a question of how crappy the software is.

It depends on what computer thing you want to do. The technology has been taken over by marketing. The Android tablets all have Linux cores, so when are they going to be able to run full GNU and apps?

psik

Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,862,164 times
I have an ipad mini and love it. I like that it is much lighter than the regular size. It is quick reference for almost anything like looking where ukraine is while reading the paper, looking up restaurant, , directions, weather. It is always on and in flash it will tell you. I use it for checking email, this forum, Facetime with my sister and soon with my grandsom who is getting iphone. I can do youtube and if you have apple tv, $100, you can bounce that on to your TV to do a workout or yoga.

I would not use it for documents, editing photos, or extensive work. I use me pc for that. It is great for travel, just slip it into your bag and if you get wifi you are on. You cannot make phone calla but you can email. So you still need a cellphone.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
now if you cant interpret my pov then simply ignore my posts mr smartguy
Done.
I just do what I can to beat down the myths around here.
An iPad does not function "more like a computer" then an Android tablet. Period.
The only tablet that functions more like a traditional computer, ie. Windows OR Mac, are the MS Tablets with REAL Windows on them.

Does iOS function anything remotely like Mac OS? Does Android function close to anything like a ChromeBook?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,644,705 times
I'm in the process of stepping down from a full size iPad to the new nexus 7. The iPad was work issued and has to be turned in as I'm switching locations. So I got this to replace it.

The iPad was way too big and bulky for me, especially with the required cover that protects it from nuclear attack.

The nexus 7 seems almost too small for me. It's halfway between my iPad and my iPhone 5S. I like it though! I'm sure I'll get used to the size and it is just large enough for watching shows on netflix and streaming.

Is it just me, or are the screen dimensions different between the iPad and the nexus? It seems like my nexus is a little more narrow width and stretched out length. ipad seems a little closer to square.

I also miss some of my apps like Civilization. That game is my favorite and I can't wait for it to come out on google play.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:02 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,644,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have an ipad mini and love it. I like that it is much lighter than the regular size. It is quick reference for almost anything like looking where ukraine is while reading the paper, looking up restaurant, , directions, weather. It is always on and in flash it will tell you. I use it for checking email, this forum, Facetime with my sister and soon with my grandsom who is getting iphone. I can do youtube and if you have apple tv, $100, you can bounce that on to your TV to do a workout or yoga.

I would not use it for documents, editing photos, or extensive work. I use me pc for that. It is great for travel, just slip it into your bag and if you get wifi you are on. You cannot make phone calla but you can email. So you still need a cellphone.
You can make phone calls using wifi! Download one of the free apps like pinger, line, vibe, etc... It gives you a phone number in an area code of your choosing. If you go out of the country to mexico, europe, asia, as long as you have a GOOD wifi connection (seriously, a patchy one will make for an awful call), you can call any US area code for free. Some of those apps make you watch ads to earn minutes, look for ones that allow unlimited calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets