U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Does an iPad do many things that a regular pc type tablet (don't know the correct name) does?

I'm trying to decide which to get. I do a lot of email, writing, opening documents and PDFs etc.

Regualr tablets are around $160 cheaper but I'm wodering if going for the iPad is better...also I was thinking the mini.

Does anyone who has a mini wish they'd gotten the regualr size one?

Thanks for your replies.
All tablets do the same thing. You can do all of those things you've mentioned on a cheap $50 tablet. The iPad may have a better processor or more memory, better graphics or video capabilities, and you do get what you pay for, but if you just want a tablet capable of doing productivity any tablet with Kingston Office or Polaris Office installed should do the trick. I prefer Quick Office and Google Drive.

If you need a physical keyboard there are wireless keyboards for $20 at Best Buy that will sync with your tablet via WiFi or Bluetooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:16 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
All tablets do the same thing. You can do all of those things you've mentioned on a cheap $50 tablet. The iPad may have a better processor or more memory, better graphics or video capabilities, and you do get what you pay for, but if you just want a tablet capable of doing productivity any tablet with Kingston Office or Polaris Office installed should do the trick. I prefer Quick Office and Google Drive.

If you need a physical keyboard there are wireless keyboards for $20 at Best Buy that will sync with your tablet via WiFi or Bluetooth.
If you're big into writing up large documents and/or novels on the go, something like the ThinkPad Helix Tablet is going to be a much better option than an iPad with a keyboard. It does cost twice as much, however.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:04 PM

320 posts, read 358,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

Regualr tablets are around $160 cheaper
The extra 160 you pay for the ipad is just you paying for the name (logo) more or less.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:13 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,312,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
The extra 160 you pay for the ipad is just you paying for the name (logo) more or less.
Thanks a good point, but not necessarily true. All depends on what you want to do with a tablet, regardless of brand. For example, if I want to use a tablet to assist me with aircraft flying, the best apps are the ones for the iPad because all the most powerful apps for flying started on the iPad, although some are now being made for the Android. Then there may be other uses for tablets where the one made by MS may be a better option than the iPad. But surf the Net, create simple documents, reading books and such, spending time at social sites and the rest, most tablets would do.

That said, the number of apps for the iPad is second to none, and the number of Apple apps is very small compared to the rest of apps created for the iPad and iPhone.

Other than that, here are some views that tablet buyers should be aware of:
http://ipad.about.com/od/ipad_compet...ld-You-Buy.htm

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-26-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 02:21 AM

398 posts, read 384,930 times
The iPad really is useful.

I have two tablets, and I don't like the android one as much as the apple one. It is laggy, despite only being a year old.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 AM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Which Android one do you have?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,354,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
The iPad really is useful.

I have two tablets, and I don't like the android one as much as the apple one. It is laggy, despite only being a year old.
Yeah, some android tablets are laggy because they come with bloatware from the manufacturer. I believe only the Nexus line comes with pure unmodified android OS.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:08 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Yeah, some android tablets are laggy because they come with bloatware from the manufacturer. I believe only the Nexus line comes with pure unmodified android OS.
It is also a matter of system resources. For example, my Android smartphone is faster with a 32 GB SD card than it is with a 4 GB card.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 AM

11,817 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
It also comes down to cheap tablets versus expensive tablets.
I love when someone buys a $500 iPad. Then decides to try Android so they buy a $100 tablet. "ANdroid sucks!"
Well if you would have bought a $500 Android tablet....

Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 AM

398 posts, read 384,930 times
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch from 2013.

It, within months, seemed to slow down and now operates at a crawl. I also hate the GUI. Since I got my iPad, I've been on it more than my laptop, because it boots up fast and everything just works. It's super fast.

I have an iPad 4. I understand the 5, the iPad Air, is even faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets